O/T Sad Thanksgiving-my kitty died unexpectedly

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, Nov 27, 2005.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

Last week one of my cats, Katie, died suddenly. My husband let her out on our porch, and when he checked a few minutes later, she was laying on the porch floor. I was at work when this happened (last Tuesday) and he rushed her to the vet. He confirmed she was gone and did an autopsy to make sure she didn't have anything contagious that would affect our other two cats. He couldn't determine a cause of death, but figured it had to be either a brain aneurysm (sp?) or a blood clot.

Katie was only 8 years old and this hit me really hard. My husband waited until I got home to tell me as he knew I would be too upset to drive.

Of course this threw me into a flare, although not as bad as it could have since I'm on stronger pain meds now.

I'm doing better now, but still can't believe she is gone. I love all my cats, but she was extra special to me. She was half-Siamese and very affectionate. She would sit on my lap all the time and always comforted me when I wasn't feeling well. I really miss her.

Thanks for reading this and for your understanding.

Ellen
  2. kaydee55

kaydee55 New Member

I am so sorry about your kitty. I have 2 cats named Molly and Gracie. I don't what I would do if something happened to them. You get so attached to them and think of them as your "babies". Here is a big ((((((H U G)))))) from me and my "babies".
    Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 11/28/2005]
  3. 1horse

1horse New Member

so very sorry about your kitty.. It is hard to loose a wonderful pet, they bring such joy.my prayers are with your family..~hugs~ peggy
  4. Musica

Musica New Member

Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear about Katie. I know how much I love my cat and how I would feel if that happened. I know there isn't much that can be said to ease your grief. It simply takes time. I hope you can find some solace in your other furbabies, and that they will be sensitive to how you feel, emotionally and physically.

I was given a decorative plaque once that says "Cats leave pawprints on our hearts". Isn't that so true? Katie will be in your heart always. Reach there when you need her presence and to feel the comfort she gave. She'll be there.

{{{{{Ellen}}}}}
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Ellen, I am very sorry. The pain of losing a pet is horrid. People that don't like animals sometimes can't understand why we grieve so.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Go ahead and let those tears come.

Love,

Kim
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

pets are family and it is so hard to part with them, especially when it is unexpected like this. If Katie had been ill you could have prepared yourself.

Well she was much loved and had a good life with you and that's something many cats dont have so take some comfort from the fact that you looked after her well.

love
    Rosie
  7. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

for the hugs and kind words. When it happened last week, I wanted to get on here, but I don't have a computer at home so I had to wait until I got back to work.

I know it's really soon, but we have decided to adopt another black cat who is really affectionate (hopefully a half-Siamese like Katie). I called the Humane Society and
    they said they had a male black cat who was really affectionate, but they didn't know if he was half-Siamese or not. So we went and this kitty was really affectionate. He sat on my lap and kept purring and rubbing against me. He is only 7 months old and has been at the Humane Society for six months now. I can't imagine why he's been there so long, except that there are a lot of cats there.

So we are in the adoption process now and will probably have our new baby in a day or so. It has been so hard especially in the evenings not having Katie in my lap. Chelsea will sit in my lap sometimes, but not as much as Katie did. Albert is not a lap kitty, but he does like to lay on my bed with me.

Thanks for being so understanding. Since we can't have kids, these cats are my substitute children I guess.

Ellen
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Losing a loving pet is so hard. My heart goes out to you and your family. Here's a little poem which comforted me when I lost my beloved cat, Mr. Big.

Farewell, Master

"Farewell, Master, Yet not farewell.
    Where I go, ye, too, shall dwell
    I am gone, before your face, A moment's time, a little space.
    When ye come where I have stepped,
    Ye will wonder why ye wept."

Edwin Arnold

Love, Mikie
  9. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Cats are so precious and to lose one so unexpectedly at such a young age must be so hard. I am so sorry!

Sue
  10. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

ellen ... I'm so sorry for your loss of Katie .. I know what you mean about cats that are half Siamese .. both my Calicos are part Siamese .. their personalities are completely different and amazing.
    I went through a bad patch when my older Molly got sick a couple of weekends ago .. I was so worried it really got to me .. but what ever it was she got better .. the vet and I have no idea what happened but I was so grateful she got better .. she is going on 14 .. Lucy is going on 7 .. they are my girls but my husband and son adore them and the girls know it !
    I know it will be painful for some time to come .. but if you can give another sweety a home it will help.
    Good Luck and I hope you feel better soon : )
    Fudge : )
  11. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I'm sorry to hear about Katie. On 1/7/98, we found my 9 year old cat Elliott dead on the sidewalk. There were no marks on him. We just waited a while and buried him under the deck.

Then on 10/14/01, my cat, Smokey (inside only) died suddenly after eating some food. Again, we didn't know, but he was 14 years old. We also buried him under the deck.

We have markers for both of them and landscaping ties around their burial spots.

Both of these deaths really hit me hard and I was crying for days on end. Still miss both of them and would give anything if I could see them again. I did take photos of them in their boxes after they had died.

We have Biscuit, who is 11 years old and I'm hoping she will live for a long time.

So, I totally understand and sympathize with you.

I don't think I could ever live without a cat in the house anymore.

Hugs,
    Faye
  12. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Katie. I fully sympathize with you. I've had furbabies for most of my life and know how very very sad it is to lose one of them.

Good for you to get another one! I'd do the same thing, in fact I have done the same thing. It doesn't replace the old friend you've lost, but it does help to fill the hole in your heart.

I'm sure this little guy will be so happy to come live with you, esp after spending almost his whole life at the shelter. Any names picked out for him yet?

Give him a scratch behind the ears for me.

Love and blessings
    mar
  13. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I'm so sorry that you lost your precious kitty. When our pets pass on they leave such a gaping hole in our hearts. I'm sure it will take time to grieve the loss of your dear furry friend.

Wishing you well, take care,
    Hopeful4
  14. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Ellen,

I'm so sorry. The loss of a pet is soooo hard. I always think of the that when I look at my puppy and wonder will it be worth the pain when she goes. But I try not to think about it.

I wish I could say something to make it better, but it just won't do it, will it? Take good care of you.

-Kathi
  15. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I am SO VERY sorry that you lost your Katie!! I am saddened with you at this very moment.

I know how it feels to lose our fur buddies.

It was only weeks ago that I was on here... feeling so sad and missing my two cats that had been gone for awhile.

And, you were one special lady to comfort me at that time. I appreciated it so very much! I felt the love from you all...and I want you to feel it from me now!

You gals suggested I go ahead and get another one. I was so hesitant...due to feeling so bad and taking care of one...but I did and I am so pleased now!

I send you a very big comforting ((((HUG))))

Maybe you can try to snuggle with one of your other kitties. It will help.

With Love, Mari
  16. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I have a dog.Animals are family to us that love them.Again I'm so sorry,Linda
  17. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Ellen,
    I'm so sorry about your cat.
    I have a blind cat and I love her very much.
    Take care
    Dee50
  18. libra55

libra55 New Member

I am so sorry to hear about Katie. I am an animal lover, I have two Welsh Corgis and I unfortunately cant have cats as I am allergic to them but I do love them just as much as dogs. I am sure she was a good friend and loyal companion and you will be reunited at the Rainbow Bridge.

(((((Hugs)))))
    Michelle
  19. Musica

Musica New Member

It varies so much, when it seems right to get another pet. This black kitten sounds like he has been hanging around just for you! How nice that he has half-Siamese again, and especially that he is affectionate! I know that getting this little guy won't replace Katie, that you will still miss her and think about her, and have a space in your heart for her. But it is wonderful to rescue a cat from a shelter, too, and I hope this one brings you many years of happiness and love!
  20. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I can't tell you how much it meant to me to come into work this morning and see lots of new messages! I would have been on here sooner, but I haven't been able to get on this board. Maybe others have been having problems this morning, too?

Thanks for all your soothing messages and concern. I think it is good to be getting a new kitty so soon. But of course I cannot replace Katie, but I will always have good memories of her.

I am leaving work in a half hour and will pick up my new baby! He is seven months old and as I said earlier has spent six of those months at the Humane Society. So he has waited a long time for a home. My husband and I talked about names over the weekend and we finally agreed on one-Raymond. We're already referring to him by "Baby Raymond" as he will be the baby of the family.

Thanks again.

Ellen