Obama has asked that CFS be assigned priority

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kellygirl, Aug 20, 2012.

1. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

"President Obama has asked the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Health and Human Services to elevate Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in priority, assigning his Deputy Chief of Staff to follow their efforts."
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's encouraging. I wonder what brought it to his attention.

Love, Mikie
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Where did you read this or hear it? Sounds too good to be true!

Mary
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Here's a link: http://www.whchronicle.com/2012/08/obama-takes-an-interest-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

and here's a link on Phoenix Rising: http://phoenixrising.me/archives/13145 which also has a link to a letter Obama wrote to Courtney Miller re this -

it looks like it's true! Yay!

Mary
  5. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I got the article from ProHealth in my email.
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I think a major part of the problem in getting to the root of the mystery known as CFS is the almost complete lack of funding for serious research. Psoriasis, which may be uncomfortable and unsightly but is not disabling in any way, gets more funding than CFS, which is more disabling than almost any other illness. A prominent CFS doctor who also treats AIDS patients says that her AIDS patients have better quality of life than her CFS patients.

CFS has not been taken seriously by the medical powers that be, is often trivialized (probably in large part due to its trivial-sounding name - everyone gets tired, right?), funding earmarked for CFS research has been diverted to other areas by the CDC, and so on.

So hopefully if we get some serious money thrown at this illness, and it is not wasted in trying to find out a psychological cause of CFS when there are numerous biomarkers already discovered, we may finally get somewhere. At least I hope.

Osler's Web does a great job of describing the complete failure of the medical establishment to take this illness seriously through the mid-1990s, and if an illness is not taken seriously or doctors don't even believe it's real, no real reserach money will be allotted and only a few very brave doctors would dare go against the conventional wisdom and try to find out what's going on.

Mary
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I usually get an e-mail from PH, but didn't see this one - thanks so much for posting!

Mary
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marta
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Please keep comments non-partisan in political terms. A couple of responses have been removed from this thread. Regardless of our political persuasions, we are all in the same boat healthwise. Thanks you for your cooperation.

Love, Mikie
  10. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I don't really look for a cure in my lifetime but I'd be thrilled to have CFS acknowledged by all medical professionals and by the public. People have no idea what it's like to be so ill and disabled and have family, friends, and doctors doubt you.

If they could discover the cause, even better.
    This would be a step forward for us. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 08/22/2012]
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

That we get so excited just to have our illnesses acknowledged. That's the first step toward finding a cause, or causes, and treatments and, hopefully, a cure.

I wonder how much money has been spent in the UK trying to persuade people that ME is a psychological problem. Instead, they should have been trying to find a cause and cure.

Love, Mikie
  12. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

Rmember when they often wondered if that was real and would lump it together with CFS, what ever happened to those vets that suffered? Were they just discounted and pushed aside? Does anyone know?
  13. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member