Obstructive Sleep Apnea.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, Apr 15, 2010.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I just found out from my sleep study last week that I have OSB and will be going on the Cpap machine. I have not seen the doctor about this as I was just given the results and I see him next week.

Has anyone been diagnosed with this or know people who have?

Did it help with symptoms?

I am really really hoping this will help many of my symptoms. Probably won't cure the fibromyalgia but since sleep is crucial it has to help some.

Thanks in advance.

2. teacher

teacher New Member

I have this.

Can't talk to you right now though. Has been a horrible week at school. Will try to get bak with you when I can be a bit more cohearent.
  3. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I know of several people that have it, and a couple use the CPAP machine, one other uses just the nose thing....They all say it works, but a couple HATE the machine. The face mask is ugly, uncomfortable, and is just plain annoying, but they use it because it works.....

One is having a special mouth guard made, and will attempt that. He is also keeping up on new methods of the surgery for sleep apnea also. There is one out there but not enough good reports as of yet on it. He is willing to do almost anything to get rid of the machine.....

Good luck, and I hope things work well for you.
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi gap,

My dad has sleep apnea---I'm not sure if it's considered "obstructive" though. However, he uses a Cpap machine. I had asked him a what it was like b/c I thought I might need one when I got a sleep study. He said it takes a little while to get used to the machine and the mask, but he sleeps sooo much better now that he's used to it. Oxygen is a good thing!! It's important to get the right kind of mask that fits you properly and one that is as comfortable as possible for you. (There's different kinds of masks.) He also needed to find the right "oxygen" level that matched his needs.

Sleep is important for everyone and is really crucial to fibro. (as you well know) b/c many of us don't reach stages 3 & 4 sleep or don't experience these stages long enough. I wouldn't be too thrilled either at first, but like anything, there's an adjustment period. In the long run it might really help you and you will likely see a huge symptom improvement!

Hope it works out well for you. Best of luck! Erika
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have also posted this on the health board and FM/CFS/ME board if people want more information.

When I saw the sleep doctor and he said he thought I have OSA from the symptoms and my mouth/airway structure, I really thought it would not be that.

I also have RLS and not enough stage 3 and 4 sleep.

Again thanks.

6. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

My husband uses the CPAP and what I don't understand is he still will fall asleep in his chair sitting straight up, not reclined, because then he chokes.

He'll go into the bedroom late and put them CPAP on, I hear him walking around at 1 am and he is up til he goes to work at 5:30 am and this continues everyday.

When we are out visiting the kids or here at home, he will fall asleep wherever he is sitting.

I think he has an undrlying sleep disorder besides Apnea. It runs in his family, they don't sleep well.

He has no life but going to work and home to sleep. No intersts, no friends, and very negative. I also believe he inherited the depression that his father had and he was on anti-depreessants for the sleep and depression but took himself off of them.
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

How long ago did your husband have the sleep study? Has he had any followup with the sleep doctor?

It could be as simple as his machine is not calibrated at the correct setting.

I would definitely have this investigated. Sounds like there are quite a few things going on.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

8. teacher

teacher New Member

I have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I don't know if your doctor explained or not, but the obstructive part comes in because the muscles in your throat become relaxed when you sleep and that in turn causes a block to form around your airway.

The CPAP pushes air into your airways at a really high rate. This forces the muscles to remain firm so you don't stop breathing.

There are several types of masks available. Some cover only your nose, some cover your mouth and nose, and there's one that fits inside your nostrils only. If you find that you are not keeping your mask on all night, DO NOT hesitate to call your doctor to request another type.

You really do want this machine. It will help you to sleep better at night. It will cut down on your waking suddenly in a cold sweat. It will also cut down your waking with a racing, pounding heart.

The heart thing is your heart working overtime to keep you alive. Not trying to scare you, but my doc told me that most people with OSA die at night of a heart attack or heart failure because of the extra work it's doing to keep you breathing.

Posting. Be right back.

I'm back.

The CPAP will not neccsarily improve your FM symptoms, but it will help you to sleep better at night which will in turn help your frame of mind to deal with that illness.

It took me a bit to get used to it, but I use it. If something freaky goes on and I don't hook up for the night, I CAN TELL right away the next morning. I don't feel right.

So, my dear, don't fear. Go get your machine and sleep well.

Oh! Before I forget!

You may want to purchase a night cap. I found that wearing the cap helpes to keep my hair from tangling in and sticking to the straps that go over your head.

Happy sleeping! [This Message was Edited on 04/18/2010]
  9. teacher

teacher New Member

Sounds like your hubby is dealing with daytime sleepiness issues also. He needs to go back to the doc and have a nap study done.

They will repeat the sleep study and then keep him the next day and test him for how many times he takes a nap during the day.

There is a drug he can take that will help him to stay awake during the day, but they won't prescribe it until after the nap study. It's usually used for narcoleptics, but helps with daytime sleepiness also.

I take it and it helps a lot.

You may also want to drag him to the family doc if you think he has inherited depression. He won't be able to conquer that on his own. I found THAT out the hard way. Make sure to tell him that he's not crazy. His brain isn't manufacturing all the chemicals he needs and the AD will replace that chemical.

Good luck.
  10. teacher

teacher New Member

I also have RLS. There is a drug for that, but I'm tired of taking drugs. I went natural.

I found a calcium vitamin that contains magnesium and Vit. D. I take 1500 mg calcium daily and that has calmed my legs down a lot!

Calcium works on calming the nerves and that's what RLS is, nerves that have had it.

My sleep doc was skeptical at first, but he doesn't say anything now.

11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks for the information!!

I have tried the Vit. D and magnesium and they did not help but I have a pretty bad case of RLS. The magnesium really bothered my stomach.

Right now a low dose of Trazodone and Clonazepam keeps my RLS in check.

About two months ago it was getting worse and it turned out my ferritin level was low.

How long did it take you to feel better?

Again thanks.

12. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

As far as him having depression, there is no way I can make him go to the doctor for it. He goes to the VA but doesn't even mention it.

In his mind, it is "normal" to fall asleep in a chair. A therapist once told me when a person is depressed from a young age, it takes medication longer to get the neurons working in the brain and also he doesn't know what it feels like to feel any different. We went to counseling and he felt he was being picked on.

He is very negative and as Dr. Phil says, "not much fun to live with".

He is not one to watch comedy, break out into laughter, call up his kids just to talk (he has no friends). This is what he grew up with.

He still harbors anger over how he wasn't respected coming home from the VN war.

I was only 19 when we married and was pregnant and I needed rescuing at the time from what I was living with. Now, I can't afford to change my life now or I would. I keep busy with my own life and do my own thing with the family and friends.

I just was accepted into SS disability. I have no clue where to start if I were to get out now.
  13. teacher

teacher New Member

It didn't take long for me to get better.

Be aware that you can crash after starting if you're not careful. I felt good after a few nights of using the machine and forgot about pacing myself. Bleah.

The CPAP won't cure you, but it will improve your symptoms of lethargy. You WILL feel better.
  14. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks. I had the sleep study with the titration. During my sleep and even getting up, I kept feeling out of breath. When the study was over my chest hurt which went away quickly but I felt like someone had punched me in the diaphragm.

I could not get a straight answer from the nurse if this is common, plus I am so foggy when I get up. She just kept saying keep an eye on it. I would think it might have something to do with the fact that they kept changing the pressure.

The mask itself was not uncomfortable once I got used to it and the machine made no noise and even had a humidifier.

Are these symptoms likely to be from the test itself? What was your or others experience.

Thanks in advance.

15. teacher

teacher New Member

Your breathlessness during your test was you waking up because you had stopped breathing.

Your chest hurting was beacuse your heart had been working overtime to keep you alive.

Feeling punched in the diaphram was that muscle getting sore from working so hard to push air into your lungs.

The fogginess is normal after a night with all of the above action going on. I also have a funny taste in my mouth after a night like that.

You should NOT have had any of this if you were on the machine. Once the technician found the level of air pressure that would keep you from snoring, the dial should have remained in place for the rest of the night. Don't know why that didn't happen.

If you experience any of this once you recieve your machne, TAKE IT BACK IMMEDIATELY. The air pressure level is not correct.

You will only feel like this if you don't use your machine.

Glad to learn that the mask wasn't a problem. That is usually the first stumbling block for most people.

The humidifier is there to keep you from getting too dry. The large amount of air that is rushing in will dry out your innards faster that your dyer will air out your undies!

I keep mine on a low temperature unless I have a cold, then I crank it up a bit until it's gone. You'll know when you have turned it up too high because the condensation will create a small rain forest on your face.

Biggest thing to remember. Use the type of water they tell you for the humidifier and follow the directions for what can be used to clean your apparatus.

I decided once to use essential oil to clean the water container and had to get a new one! Smelled purty but the oils were a little too strong! hee hee hee

Also, make note of wheter or not you wake up with a headache. My doctor asks me this all the time. I have always been able to trace a headache on rising to eating somethng odd the previous day.

I'm thnking that if you wake with a headace and you can't trace it back to something else, you should report that immediately. Don't know what could be causing it. Maybe not enough air. But anyway. Yell if it happens.

Good luck!
  16. teacher

teacher New Member

I'm not ignoring you. Just pondering what you said.

All I can say right now it "Oh my dear".