Occasional CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ItsRita, Jun 9, 2003.

1. ItsRita

ItsRita New Member

Anyone heard of getting intermittent CFS? I come down with extreme fatigue, muscle tingling, feel like I'm walking thru mud, brain haze, will sleep up to 18 hours, wake up not feeling rested, huge appetite, can barely walk. Very low blood pressure.

I've had this for 22 years. Will last anywhere from 2-7 days. Get it monthly so had a hysterectomy but it didn't go away. Can go months w/o symptoms or have it every 3 weeks.

I've been tested for EVERYTHING. Thyroid ok. Docs don't have any answers. Told I was depressed (no kidding!) put on lexapro-didn't help.

Whatta ya think?

[This Message was Edited on 06/10/2003]
  2. hazygal

hazygal New Member

that you've got a relapse or better known as a flair "flair-up" of the CFS... it can come and go, who knows why... Just try to explain to others. Almost impossible to get them to understand, doctors as well as there is no real cure yet. But it sounds to me like a CFS bout your having or have from time to time.. I get it too, lasting up to months at a time.. Extreme fatigue, muscle butterflies i call them, muscle weakness, depression from it, etc... horrible isn't it?
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Rita, welcome to our world. I see you have already met and received some good advice.

I am a Fibromite, not CFS, but do get that fatigue occasionally. It is a terrible feeling, much rather have the pain.

Take care, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. nct

nct New Member

yeppers, you got it.

Flare up time, sounds like. Since I've sort of started getting better, I will have the same thing, but my flares seem to come and go quicker than yours.

I'll be fine for 2 weeks, then will wake up feeling lousy and unable to get into work. In fact, that happened last Wednesday. And at least for a while after that, I'm just not where I was before, though I still make it to work. I'll get tired easier, have to rest more, will have bad hours during the day, etc.

Just take the care of yourself that you can, and know that you'll have a 'remission', based on your past experiences.

Good luck.

Nancy
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

has been recognised in the UK for decades and it is fairly common.

Here in the UK there are considered various outcomes -

1 complete recovery though it may take up to 5 years or more, there are also spontaneous recoveries.

2 A relapsing remitting course but ther are great variations in the timing and length of these.

3 Becoming chronic, often described as reaching a plataeu after some years.

4 Deteriorations leading to a very marked disablity in terms of cognition, mobility, and fatigue.

Some studies show them to be fairly evenly divided. However, many of these include patents who battled against their illness in the early days because they had not been properly diagnosed. It is thought ealier diagnosis and appropiate lifestyle changes would improve the outcome now that it is officiallyt recognised.

Just wish they'd convince all the doctors of this.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2003]