Occasional Cocktail Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by opticaltech, Sep 13, 2006.

1. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

Hello to all...I have given up alcohol due to all the meds I have been on...I am gradually taking myself off all these dreaded pills to see what it feels like to be drug free and see if I can stand to just take a pain pill when needed.I Have been really sick with this DD since spinal fusion surgery in 2005....I have gone off my anti-depressants and plan to go off all others........Would an occasional cocktail bring on a flare...what are others experiences with this..any info will be appreciated...L.
  2. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

I have gone off all of my meds before...out of frustration.

In that time I drank alcohol and it did not trigger any flares for me.

You may want to consult with your doctor about this before you do just in case....it could vary depending on the person.

Take Care,
    Stephanie
  3. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Sometimes I will break down and have a beer with the girls out at lunch (on a rare occasion if I feel well enough). It always makes me feel really good at the time, because it feels like I'm being normal (out partying with the girls). But I always pay for it later. My body does not respond well to alcohol at all anymore!

Hope this helps.
    Mini
  4. myalgiamania

myalgiamania New Member

i used to enjoy having a drink with my husband and relaxing by the pool but with fibro, i get very sick.
    instead of making me feel relaxed i feel naseaus and very tired. this started happening before i started meds.

it might be different for others but not for me.

God Bless!
  5. I also went off most of all meds for fibro as they didn't help and I was getting irritated. I never smoked or drank and am still so unhealthy with all this dd gives us. I don't think an occasional drink would hurt at all, as long as your not taking any meds, even with the antidepressant I was on the dr. said a couple wouldn't hurt, just excessive drinking would. Heck I may even try a drink or two. lol! Maybe it would make us feel better. I love snapps.
  6. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

I had a girlfriend I Loved to Have cocktails with...we had a blast...Now that Im sick I feel like the lone soldier cause everyone is having their cocktail and not me...Oh just to be semi-normal again would be nice.....L...
  7. AbbeyMae

AbbeyMae New Member

I may have only one alcoholic beverage when I go out for dinner, which is once in a great while.

It stops there. I have found that alcohol can numb the pain, however, alcohol is made from grains and can flare up the candida. Beer has yeast and hops. Most wine has nitrates.

I believe this is the reason that most of us cannot tolerate alcohol.

I have read in one of my books, that one can have so much of a yeast overgrowth that it can actually ferment and have a blood alcohol concentration without having a cocktail.

Most of us suffer and struggle with candida, that alcohol can only make things worse in the long run.

Love and Hugs,

AbbeyMae
  8. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Wow, I would LOVE to have an occasional cocktail, beer, etc. but with the meds that I'm on, I would be afraid to try it. Not to mention, the last time I smelled a beer, it almost made me sick.

If you're only taking pain med, then in my opinion, I would think it's fine but again, depends on the person regarding the flares. Could you check with your physician? Some of them drink cocktails and wouldn't mind you inquiring; better to be safe.

Good luck,
    BlueSky555
  9. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

I better stay away from smelling beers then!.......HAHA
  10. Bren2135

Bren2135 New Member

-- is that they make me sleepy. So, I've never been a drinker.

However, I'm thinking strongly about it nowadays!!

Hugs,
    Brenda
  11. Aghllw

Aghllw New Member

I have noticed that I can't tolerate alchohol any longer. Hangovers used to occur the following day, but now if I drink it is instant! And, the severity of the hangover is 10 times worse for me than it used to be.

I do believe that everyone is different. I would just say, moderation is key!!

Good luck!

PS: You should read up on Candida...it can make it worse!
  12. GRMonLI

GRMonLI New Member

I have been dealing with FMS since 1992 and disability since 1999.

My partner and I have been together since 1997, so his Mother has known about my problems and pain since the day we met.

Labor Day we were at her house in Southampton, Long Island. It had been a very rainy, dreary weekend. My partner and I were kind of curled on the couch while his Mom was sitting in a chair and we were all watching TV on Sunday evening.

My partner, who I was leaning on moved and I said "Oooh" cause his shifting made me move which was painful. His Mom wanted to know why I was hurting (DUH!!!) and asked what was wrong. I said the weather was making me hurt, once again she asked "Isnt there something you can take?", I once again said that nothing really helps.

You know what her answer was...."Maybe you should start drinking, that would take away the pain".

I did everything I could not to burst out laughing in her face.

Maybe its her generation (she is 75) or her society (5th Avenue New York)and she has a drink EVERY night before dinner. You know "Cocktail Hour" LOL

I do drink socially but do not think drinking all the time will take my pain away.

If only it would I would live in a liquor store!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/14/2006]
  13. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I had to give up my beloved cocktails due to candida. Every once in a while I have a glass of wine, but that's it! Any more than that and my candida flares.

If you don't have this issue, you may not have a problem with cocktails. Good luck to you!
  14. Loveyame

Loveyame New Member

I have found out the following-

When out with my friends drinking is ok!

When drinking alone it stinks!

Beer is great at the time-but I feel like a swollen up toad the next day. No matter how much or what kind I drink.

Screw driver with vodak- ok if only have 1 or 2 for the night- otherwise same as above

Screw driver with tequila- ok if I drink all night long- wake up the next morning a little stiffer then normal.

I think it is because I don't roll around once I "pass out" for the night.

I have found that drinking oj in my drinks is alot harder on me the next day then cranberry or rasberry.

Good luck and let me know how you feel afterwards.

Love ya me
  15. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

16. jens2angels

jens2angels New Member

I would love to go out and get bombed like the good ole days. But I'm just terrified with the meds. That and hangovers aren't real fun when you've got little kids to wake you up early in the morning.
  17. opticaltech

opticaltech New Member

We had the music going on Saturday nite and I felt like having a beer but talked myself out of it...I HATE hangovers and with the flare I am in right now...FORGET IT..my head is already dizzy can you imagine a hangover..and in this heat......Im gonna see if I can get in that party mode next weekend and try it..will let you know how it goes!.....L.
  18. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I seem okay with alcohol per se, although I never have been inclined to have more than one drink in an evening even before I got sick.

I have problems with beer, assumedly because of the yeast.

I also have problems with wine, assumedly because of the mold. (This is very sad, since I know a great deal about wine and even worked for a wine company for a short period of time....it used to be one of my favorite hobbies. Sometimes I will have a small sip to complement a particular food dish, but not more than that.)

I avoid most cocktails, but because of the sugar (yeast problem) or tropical fruits (allergies).

I do fine with things like Scotch, bourbon and vodka. Rice wine seems pretty much okay too. (There may be mold in that, but not much. You can keep opened sake around for months and months and have it still be good, which suggests that there's not much live stuff in it.)

The only thing I worry a bit about is the fact that I take Klonopin for sleep, and that a lot of alcohol mixed with a lot of benzodiazpines can cause coma or even death. One drink with one pill seems never to have had any negative effects (e.g. like a hangover) on me, though.

The alcohol with the CFS doesn't seem to be a problem.....although to be honest, I only have about one or two drinks a month these days. Maybe if I had more I would notice.