occipital neuralgia and radiofrequency lesioning??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by paula45, Dec 4, 2002.

1. paula45

paula45 New Member

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these, especially the RFL. Today, I went for my third in a series of cervical facet injections and and epidural injection in my T-spine. It was my good fortune to awaken this a.m. with one of my "screaming headaches" that I've been telling the pain doc about. So, before the procedure, he examined my and decided to inject the occipital nerve as well. He said if I got some temporary relief, he would do the RFL. I'm just curious if any of you have had this done on any nerves of the spine. BTW, I did get some relief, although the injection site is sore; but then again they are all sore right now.....all 10 of them. Thanks for any help you can offer. Hope everyone is feeling as well as they can.

Soft hugs
    Paula
  2. paula45

paula45 New Member

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these, especially the RFL. Today, I went for my third in a series of cervical facet injections and and epidural injection in my T-spine. It was my good fortune to awaken this a.m. with one of my "screaming headaches" that I've been telling the pain doc about. So, before the procedure, he examined my and decided to inject the occipital nerve as well. He said if I got some temporary relief, he would do the RFL. I'm just curious if any of you have had this done on any nerves of the spine. BTW, I did get some relief, although the injection site is sore; but then again they are all sore right now.....all 10 of them. Thanks for any help you can offer. Hope everyone is feeling as well as they can.

Soft hugs
    Paula
  3. amilyne

amilyne New Member

hi, i have been dx with occipital neuralgia( ive had a headaches all day today too) and i have had numerous injection of cortizone/novacaine shots into the nerves in my neck(the softish spot in the base of my skull ),i more than understand that soreness,but why 10 shots???were they in a different region? and i have no idea what RFL's are....i was dx with o.n in mayish and the next month with fms ...ive been to the er too many times and two of the times i had injections done and they only took the edge off the pain but they didnt get rid of them completely...which ive heard that they should if you have this o.n ...id like to know what your result was after having the injections(which im not sure if you got the same ones as me)for me the only thing that gets rid of these headaches completely is drugs ...since the dx of the fms im not sure if its really o.n or if its just the fms......aghhhh....well thats my story, ill stop rambleing.
    ami
  4. paula45

paula45 New Member

Great to hear from you, but SO sorry you suffer from this too. It's the most excruciating pain I have. The other injections were 8 facet joint injections in the neck and an epidural in T-spine (I have two compression fractures). The RFL is where they go in and burn the occipital nerve. Finally, I have some hope to stop the pain, at least for a while. From what I've read, it lasts about a year cause the nerve will eventually regenerate. I'm actually hoping for it. I see the doc next week to find out more. The only thing is I've read that you sort of have to be awake for it. UGH. I really like being knocked out for all the other stuff. But, if it stops this pain, I'll do it. Good luck to you. God love ya, and I hope your pain lets up.

It sounds like I had the same block as you get, the back of my head kinda behind my ear. It did stop the pain yesterday. Have you found ANYTHING???? that will ease the pain? I've swallowed all kinds of pain meds, used heat, etc and mostly all I can do is writhe around in pain until it lets up. UGH.

Best to you
    Paula
    [This Message was Edited on 12/05/2002]
  5. paula45

paula45 New Member

I just put a name to this yesterday. I'd be very interested in what you've learned. Thanks so much for the response.

Best to you
    Paula
  6. amilyne

amilyne New Member

paula,i have read i think as much as i possibly can about this crap and i found a message board and i read quite a few of their posts and most people say that it worked for awhile but then the pain came back full force and twice as bad...maybe it wouldnt happen in your case but since i read that im not sure that i would want to do it....anyhow thats just my opinion..if you do decide to do it i hope it goes well and let me know how it goes...i dont think that i can give you the website but i cant remember it right now anyhow.lol fog..my doctor mentioned somethng to me about Prolotherapy...it has something to do with scarring the tissue-but its a good kind of scarring....im not to sure as i havent checked into it as of yet but its definately less invasive and its supposed to be really good.if you didnt already know about it id check into to that.or try a chiropracter--thats what my doc told me to do(i didnt go to much but it seemed to help because they did ems-electronic muscle stimulation) and that it has alot to do with the insertion of the trapezius muscle, that it gets tense and basically squeezes down on the nerves...the only thing that gets rid of my pain is percocet and now thats starting not to work but hopefuly it will get better..i agree the headaches are worse than the fms pain at this point for me.well best of luck
    ami
  7. paula45

paula45 New Member

If you think of the site you found the info on, please let me know (in a way acceptable to the rules of this board, of course), so that I can educate myself. I really appreciate your input and I want all the info I can get before I make a decision. Thanks again. Hope you're feeling well today.

Regards
    Paula