occular migraines?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by redtex, Oct 20, 2006.

1. redtex

redtex New Member

i have been suffering greatly from these. vision goes blurry, thinking and brain function slows down. then a dull headache and very tired. anyone else?
  2. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

This is a new word for me Redtex. I have a lot of migraines, with blurry vision, noise sensitivity, light sensitivity and extreme pain.

Are there migraines where just your eyes are affected? I know I have a lot of problems with my eyes.

Maybe I should look into this.

hugs from another Red
    Redwillow
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

My ex-husband used to get these - they seemed to be triggered when he would skip breakfast and drink a lot of coffee and then be physically active. It would screw up his blood sugar. It never happened if he ate breakfast, so you might see if there is a connection between your blood sugar levels and the ocular migraines.

Mary
  4. sascha

sascha Member

i would get visual disturbances that would nauseate me. i would feel something like vertigo- my balance would be off. i would feel dizzy. i'd have to lie down until my vision straightened itself out. it would make me feel ill. if i were out, it would look all around as though rain were running over glass between me and the world.

it sort of stopped occurring on its own, and i don't have it happen anymore. a doctor told me that it was a form of migraine affecting the eye blood vessels- something like that. Sascha
  5. Pennygirl2

Pennygirl2 New Member

Hy people. I also get the eye blurring, dizzy, migraines. Liked how you described it, Linda, like water running over glass. I get these horrible zig=zagging lights that I can see with eyes open or closed. But I can see around the zigzags sortof like you described. Mine is called the aura and usually lasts about 20 minutes before a migraine starts in. These with the aura are called Classical migraines and only 10 % of people with migraines get this. Aren't we lucky? I actually have had one today because we had certain winds and weather changing so I need to get off here. I enjoyed all you people's posts. I can only read so little of the posts I want. Oh well, forward, one step at a time again, or backwards. Soft hugs, Penny
  6. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

I've suffered with them too...both the blurry vision kind, and the aura kind...those are scarry.

I also have occiptal lobe headaches...a lot!

I've had headaches since I was 11 or 12...

They all are a real PAIN.

I feel for you,

Suz
  7. zoemurr

zoemurr New Member

and they were terrifying. My periforal (sp?) vision was very blurry. This usually triggered a monsterous panic attack that made everything worse. My eye Dr. told me that as soon as I feel it coming on to grab a coffee or a carbonated drink. For some reason it seems to stop it quicker. I had no headache associated with it, and fortunately for me they passed. Good luck.. I know it is very very scary.
  8. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Hope you are feeling better now. I used to get these psychedelic visdual migraines when I wore contact lenses. The only ones I've had recently have been when I've tried Gabapentin.

Wish there was a 'hug' smiley! x
  9. wish_to_be_healthy

wish_to_be_healthy New Member

I believe it is the caffeine in th coffee of cola that helps constrict the blood vessels in the brain that helps stop the pain.

It works sometimes for me...When I get the other type of headache at the occipital lobe, it doesn't touch it...I do think that has more to do with triggerpoints/large muscles than blood vessels.

Suz
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I developed these about 18 months ago. They were very scary till I found out what they were. I also at the same time started with vertigo too and I tend to see a link.

I must say that at the time the OM started my nerve cups behind the eyes were fine. Now the look as if I have non pressure glaucoma, so make sure you get regular checks as this developed very quickly. My eye doc thinks it could all be viral with the three things going on at once, plus a terrible flare of the FM/CFS came in soon after and chronic Guilline Barr from the flu shot I got whilst sick. Never again.

I never had head pain with my OMs but sure get head pain from the non OM migraines.

Hope this helps, Love Anne
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My eye doc told me that if they last too long, they can make you go blind. He said any one which lasts longer than about 30 mins. should be reported to one's doc. I have found that a small piece of Klonopin under my tongue helps them go away faster.

Love, Mikie
  12. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

Does an occular migraine feel like a "headache" behind the eyeball? I get these frequently.
  13. ladykew

ladykew New Member

My Neurologist never told me what kind of Migraines I was having, but they start with the feeling of a hot fluid flowing over one or both of my eyeballs. By then, it is too late to prevent it. I have to move on to the pain medication.

However, she has started me on Topamax 100 mg at night, and 25 mg in the a.m., and it has almost stopped my migraines. I occasionally have a "round" of them (I've been dx'd with cluster migraines before) but one Imitrex per migraine is usually all I need to get rid of that one until the round is over, usually in two or three days.

Sure beats the ER. The Topamax has been great for me. I never worry about migraines anymore. And to think, they used to rule my life. I'm so grateful.

I didn't know there were so many different types of migraines.

~~~
    LadyLew