Occupational vs Physical Therapy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by schaken, Apr 6, 2006.

  1. schaken

    schaken New Member

    Hi everyone.

    I don't post often anymore. My left forearm has been hurting for alot of weeks.

    My Dr is sending me to an occupational therapist. What do they do. I have been in physical therapy before and received massive relief.

    Is this kind of a self-help program?

    Thank you all

  2. lolee

    lolee New Member

    a kiss is jus a kiss, a sigh is just a sigh . . .oh sorry ooops, no seriously

    OT = Occupational Therapy = Top half of the body = arms, neck, trunk strenth; also things like: ADL's (activities of daily living) brushing hair & teeth, showering, working around the house, etc. They also concentrate on pacing yourself.

    PT = Physical Therapy = Bottom half of the body = legs, gait (walking) traing, balance endurance, can work closely with OT for things like bed mobility, also concentrate on pacing oneself.


  3. schaken

    schaken New Member

    In physical therapy, they concentrated on my neck and shoulders doing myofascial relief.

    This is supposed to be for that, my behind, thighs and lower legs.

    Any more helpful thoughts, anyone?
  4. EllenComstock

    EllenComstock New Member

    I went for both occupational and physical therapy last fall. I now do pool therapy where the therapist leads us the first half hour doing stretches and different exercises in the water. The last half hour we do whatever we want. They keep the water at 94 degrees. It has been helpful to me and helps to keep my mobility in my right shoulder from worsening.

    The occupational therapist did myofascial therapy on me for an hour and it felt great. She showed me different exercises and stretches to do at home to help keep me as mobile as possible. She asked me what things were hard for me to do at home and work. One thing was vacuuming. She told me to walk with the upright vacuum instead of standing in one place and using my arm. For my cannister, she said to use it by keeping my arms close to my sides-less strain that way. So that was very helpful.

    The physical therapist had me use some of the exercise equipment like the treadmill, go in the pool for a half hour doing exercises they showed me, plus laying down and having them do stretches (mainly on my neck and shoulder-my worst area to help increase my mobility).

    I think it was definitely worth it. I am trying to stay as independent as possible with FMS and other health problems. I'm only 47 and trying to work part-time and take care of my home.

  5. schaken

    schaken New Member

    I'll be 55 this year. I am doing in home health care 35 to 36 hours a week. (This is anything to keep the elderly or infirm in their homes). Very strenous work. Plus on the weekends I keep my home clean.

    I'm very lucky to have an extremely understanding husband. He helps alot. Especially when I am in a bad flare.

    All I want is to keep working, so we can get our bills paid off.

  6. EllenComstock

    EllenComstock New Member

    I'm not here on the weekends since I don't have a computer at home. I get on here when things are slow at work or during my break. I just work mornings as a secretary at a small college in Michigan. I also have the summers off. Good for my FMS, but not good for finances. Fortunately, summers are the busiest time for my husband's job and he works more hours then. Your job sounds like a busy one.

    I read your profile. Sorry your son is in Iraq. I have a co-worker who has a son there, too. It must be so hard to deal with. My co-worker never watches the news. Said it is just too stressful for her. My prayers go out to you and your family. I hope our men and women are sent home soon. This war has gone on too long.

    I hope the therapy is beneficial for you.

  7. KelB

    KelB New Member

    Here in the UK, Occ Therapists offer a variety of techniques to help you do what you need to do to live your life and do your job (if you work).

    This can involve targetted exercise, a look at some equipment that might help you around the home/office, advice on pacing your activity levels to minimse the impact on your forearm. Generally, they try to work out how your condition affects you and how that can be improved.

    Physical Therapists are much more about looking at the condition in isolation and trying to make it better.
  8. schaken

    schaken New Member

    Thank you all.

    I go to my first session today. I guess that they will do an evaluation to see what is needed for me.

    I was approved, by my insurance for 20 sessions, or what is needed.

    Could get expensive for me.


[ advertisement ]