Occupations easiest on Fibromyalgia patients?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tommso, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Tommso

Tommso New Member

First I would like to thank the people who responded to my question yesterday it was very helpful. I will be more assertive and request RA tests at the Veteran's Hospital.

What I would like to know is what occupations are easiest to cope when dealing with fibromyalgia? I went through so many jobs the past 10 years I can't even remember half of them. I have done driving, customer service, warehouse, order taking, and even a dishwashing job. They all go sour after a couple of weeks. Customer service is stressful and the other are repetitive and wear me out. After a couple of weeks I have to really struggle to get through each day. But usually after a few months I end up quitting. The driving I did for over 4 years and thats been the longest thing I done. I don't think I am serious enough to be considered disabled. I am only 38, too young for these problems.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Tommso
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

My son has this DD and my mother's heart really worries about how he will ever be able to support himself. Doesn't have the physical ability to work and has a terrible memory and concentration. It's hard. So I would be interested in what people come up with for suggestions.
    Thanks. -Karen
  3. Myth

Myth New Member

this is a question I do not like to think about or answer, because I can't find an answer. I have lost the career I was going for and can't even find a job that I can make use of my degree with. The job I have now is all right, I can sit and stand, it is less than full-time. It pays very little and Fibro Fog makes me screw up all the time, usually I can double check and correct some of the errors. If it were just the pain and the body we had to worry about then there would be plenty of jobs, as it is with the neurological problems there are few. Ideally you want one that is not going to tax you physically and involves no repetative movements. Where you are able to change position often. Have regular breaks. It would be great to have flexible hours, but avoid at all costs shift work. And no job where your memory could cause dangerous problems. Working from home would be great if you can land one. I just do not know what sort of job fits those criteria that I can do. Sorry I could not be of more help. This issue bothers me a lot, because I want a satisfying job where I can progress and earn a decent wage. As it is I am not self-sufficent- without my boyfriend i would not be able to support myself.
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

as a secretary at a college. There isn't much physical work to it and I can get up and move around quite often, which helps. I work full-time during the school year and half-time during the summer. I do wonder how long I can continue to do this work as some days it is really hard. Fortunately, I don't have a lot of typing or computer work, which is so repetitious. I have 20 more years to work, but really doubt I will hang in there that long.

Ellen Comstock
  5. Patti2

Patti2 New Member

If you find that perfect job please find 2 I'll send you my resume'!! You can't set to long, stand to long, left to much.
    I looked into SSD they won't give enough to live on if you can get it at all. You will probly have to apply 2-3 times before it goes thru.
    Any ideas I will take to heart also!
    Thanks,
    Patti
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I would think being your own boss would be best. Then you can make your own hours and nobody can tell you what to do or when.
    I would avoid chemical exposures and having to stand a lot or raise my arms or lift. High stress and deadline pressure would not be good.
    If you coud work from home that would be great.
    Klutzo
  7. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I am very interested too, please bring on the suggestions. Hugs, Chelz. PS. I'm 38 too and feel too young to be so sick.
  8. teach6

teach6 New Member

Shortly before I became too ill to work I started a home based business. While I can't say it is booming, with CFS/FM/NMH it is a good outlet and a lot of fun!! I do hope that I will improve enough to be able to again work my business more regularly and reap the finacial benefits it can bring. Right now it brings me a boost in self-esteem and a lot of new friends.

Barbara
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2003]
  9. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I wish I knew, I just threw my boyfriend out and he was my source of income for the past few months. SO now I'm SOL. I have applied for disabilty and am in the waitng process. That could be 3 months from now at the minimum. My interview said that I had a fat cchance since I'm only 25. Nice, huh?

I was trying to sell a particular makeup product for a while from home. That lasted about 2 weeks. I really couldn't put in the work that I should have been. Now I have applied to a bunch of jobs online. I just worry about if I will be able to make it to the interviews. And how long will I last? I absolutly love working and being BUSY!! But it is just so unrealistic.

I guess the best thing that we can do if we HAVE TO WORK, is to get a part time job, where you get paid to be lazy. That way, you can rest when you are not working. Like mabye a phone operator. I did that once for a hotel, it was fun. I used to wrok alot at the front desks of hotels, but that would be something that I would make to many mistakes doing these days. So I think the phone operator would be the best gig.

Good luck to all you job-seekers!!!

Love,
    Kathryn
  10. nacl4y

nacl4y New Member

I honestly don't have any suggestions - other than make sure it's (a) not physical - including standing, lifting, bending, etc. and (b) not overly brain taxing either - especially mathematically speaking. Alot of research shows that doing mathematical calculations is as tiring on a FMs/CFS brain as physical labour, if not more.

I would also note that starting your own business is not a good idea. While you can choose your own hours... if you want a business to succeed it takes a LOT of hours, long days, and involves a great deal of stress. The only way I can conceive that it would be even remotely acceptable is if you have another source of income - a spouse or parent, etc. that can support you or foot most of the bills.

On this I do speak from experience. When I first became ill I worked for my family's own business. After I recovered enough to function on a relatively normal basis, or as normal as I was going to get, I started my own business. In order to pay the bills some days I was working 14 hours or more. Believe me, it is not as wonderful as it sounds. It's a toss up as to which is worse - the hours you must put in, or the stresses involved in being self employed.

Good luck.
  11. ChiaPet

ChiaPet New Member

Myself.Between the pain,fatique and lack of brain power its hard for me to hold down a job.I tried twice on while I was on disability.I almost lost mt benefits because of it.A flag goes up when you try to work and believe me they will use that to get rid of you.One less person to give money to.

And as has been said you dont get enough to live on.Im staying with my grandmother while Im waiting for subsidized housing.This is run by the local housing athority and you pay according to your income.You eitherhave to be on disibility or elderly to qualify.The place Im waiting for is pretty nice.Ill tell ya I wouldnt be able to have my own appartment otherwise.

Im sorry if I went on a bit but I thought this info might be helpful for anyone having trouble finding affordable housing because of this illness.

Well Tommso I hope you find the answer.If you do let us know.

[ advertisement ]