Oct is Breast Cancer Awarness Month

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bruin63, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Why wait? I get mine done this time every year, and so far I usualy pass it.
    I do have fatty tissue in them, but since I no longer Ovalate , they don't bother me.

I have a Dear Friend, who is a Heart Transplant Survivor, she lives in the Portland Ore, area.
    Just recently, she went on a BCA Walk, and was so thrilled to be able to do it.

We have lost a lot of Classmates, over the years to Breast Cancer. As I am sure, a lot of us, here, have lost People we care about to this disease.

There are Survivors, of Breast Cancer, and I know some are Members here, and I want to say, to you,
    Horray, for beating it. You Inspire others around you, and show us, that it can be beaten.

The following is from a website about Breast Cancer Awareness and some info. on organations that you might find interesting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Know the Facts about Early Detection

The Importance of Early Detection
    Breast cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed in women in America. When breast cancer is detected early and treated promptly, suffering and ultimately the loss of life can be significantly reduced.

Women are encouraged to ask their doctors and other health care providers about mammography screening. Mammography (an x-ray picture of the breast) is the single most effective method to detect breast changes that may be cancer, long before physical symptoms can be seen or felt. For early stage breast cancer, there are more treatment options, treatment can be less disfiguring and less toxic, and survival is improved.

As women age, their risk of breast cancer increases. For most women, high quality mammography screening should begin at age 40.
    As risk factors vary in everyone, each woman and her doctor should discuss the plan that's right for her. Most organizations recommend screening every 1 to 2 years; some recommend it take place every year. Screening should continue throughout a woman's lifetime.

In addition to the use of mammography, health care providers should also examine a woman's breasts, called a clinical breast examination (CBE), as part of routine health care to search for any abnormalities that may be missed by mammography.

Breast self-examination (BSE) may alert a woman to any changes in her breasts, but it is not a substitute for mammography screening. The value of BSE is that it helps a woman become familiar with how her breasts normally feel and to notice any changes.

Is mammography reliable?
    In 1992, the U.S. Congress passed the Mammography Quality Standards Act to ensure that mammography facilities throughout the country are of high quality and are reliable. To lawfully perform mammography, each facility must prominently display a certificate issued by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This certificate serves as evidence that the facility meets quality standards.

What should women expect when they have a mammogram?
    A woman who still menstruates should schedule the mammogram for one week after her menstrual period begins, when the breasts will be the least tender.

Women are asked to avoid using deodorant and lotions on the day of the mammogram and should wear two-piece clothing to make undressing more convenient. A specially trained radiologic technologist will perform the mammogram.

The woman will be asked to undress from the waist up only and stand next to the x-ray machine. Two flat surfaces will compress one breast first, then the other for a few seconds. Compression is necessary to produce the best pictures using the lowest amount of radiation possible.

What barriers keep women from getting mammograms on a routine basis?
    Studies have identified a number of barriers to mammography screening. Some can be overcome with health education; others require programs to make mammography more accessible for women. The top four barriers, in women's words, are:

"I don't need a mammogram because my doctor has never recommended I have one."
    "I've never thought about it."
    "I have no breast problems, so mammography isn't necessary."
    "I don't have enough time."
    Other barriers include:

Fear about pain from the procedure.

Fear of a diagnosis of breast cancer.

Concerns about screening costs.

Concerns about the financial burden of diagnostic procedures and treatment, if needed.

No recent clinical breast examination or Pap test.

No routine source of health care.

Difficulty taking time off from work to be screened.
    Living a far distance from the screening site.
    * Source: The Manual of Intervention Strategies to Increase Mammography Rates, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention with the Prudential Center for Health Care Research.

Is mammography screening the only way to detect breast cancer?
    Mammography screening remains the best available method to detect breast cancer early.

However, no medical test is always 100 percent accurate, and mammography is no exception. Research is under way to improve the technology to lead to better accuracy and to create new technologies.

For more information about mammography screening, please refer to American Cancer Society's Website at www.cancer.org.

Will health insurance pay for screening mammograms?

Regular screening mammograms are covered by the U.S. government's Medicare and Medicaid programs and other private health insurance plans (women should check their own insurance plans for individual details).
    Free or low-cost mammograms are available for women without health insurance in many locations. For a program near you, contact the CDC at (888) 842-6355.

Will Medicare pay for screening mammograms?

Yes. Medicare covers mammography screening every ear for women age 40 and older who are Medicare recipients. Yet, eligible women and their doctors may not now about this important benefit. A series of publications regarding this benefit are available in English and Spanish. For ore information about Medicare coverage,

contact the Medicare toll-free hotline at (800) MEDICARE or the Medicare Website, www.medicare.gov.

How can women get low-cost or free mammograms?

For information on low- or no cost mammography screening, contact the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) at (888) 842-6355 or visit their Web site at www.cdc.gov. Women seeking mammograms at a reduced rate are urged to make their appointment early in the year, as space may be limited. To find a breast-imaging facility, contact the National Cancer Institute at (800) 4-CANCER. For more information, visit www.nbcam.org.

[This Message was Edited on 09/30/2006]
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm scheduling my mammogram this month.

And just another reminder about all the other cancers that can be picked up by screenings, although breast cancer seems to get the most attention. Remember colonoscopies, blood tests that can screen for prostate cancers, etc.

I had a cancer this year that couldn't be caught by a routine screening, but many can be. You might be especially vulnerable if there is a family history. So be proactive, and get those screening tests!

Good health to all,
    Pam
  3. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Thank you for acknowledging Breast Cancer Month. I am now a 10 year breast cancer survivor. I had one type on 96 and another in 97. My Mom is battling her 3rd round with breast cancer. Her battle began in 1988 but has finally metastized to her bones.

Please ladies and gentlemen, check yourself and never listen to the doctor when they want to "keep an eye out" on it. I could be dead if I had listened to them. I was a very young 42. It can happen to you.
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

but now I need to do it every three months.
    I was going to post this morning about it being BC month.
    Thank you
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

This is a cut and past from Dr. Mercola's website, on contributing factors to breast cancer.

Breast Cancer Study Raises Questions On Pesticide, Chemical Use

Seeking clues about the high rate of breast cancer among wealthy women, researchers have come up with some possible leads involving chemical exposure.

Researchers found women who lived in areas hit hardest by the disease used professional lawn and dry cleaning services more often than those in less-affected neighborhoods.Ý 65 percent of the women in the area with higher breast-cancer rates had used a professional lawn service, compared with 36 percent of the women in the low-incidence neighborhood.

In addition, 30 percent of those in the high-incidence area reported routine use of pesticides, compared with 23 percent in the low-incidence sector. And 45 percent of those in the high-incidence area used dry cleaning at least once a month, compared with 32 percent in the less-affected neighborhood.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMMENT:

It is quite clear that breast cancer has two precipitating environmental exposures. One is clearly chemical exposure. That is why it is so important to avoid chemicals as much as possible. Lawn chemicals, pesticides, dry cleaners and cleaning agents around your home. This would also include non-organic food.

When one is exposed to these poisons, they tend to accumulate in the fat tissue. The body attempts to remove them through detoxification mechanisms in the liver. The liver has to make a very specific enzyme to break down most of these chemicals. When this enzyme is stimulated it does not restrict its action to breaking down these chemicals.

It also acts on the any estrogen levels present in the body. This enzyme will convert estrogen to a toxic breakdown product that is highly carcinogenic. So if one is taking extra estrogen from birth control pills or taking traditional postmenopausal hormone replacements the risk for breast cancer is tremendously increased.

If you want to reduce your exposure to breast cancer the recommendations are clear: Avoid exposure to any possible chemicals, especially pesticides. Eat organic food whenever possible. Use estrogen only if guided by a natural medicine physician, as there are times when it is indicated in the short term.

Stop all birth control pills as soon as you finish the current cycle. Consider using a sauna regularly to raise your body temperature, which will help evaporate out the chemicals that you are storing in your fat tissues. Traditional saunas work, but infrared saunas can be purchased for your home and work even better.

I personally use one several times a week to keep my system free from these residues. If anyone is interested in one of these saunas for home use, you may e-mail me for further information.

6. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I very seldom bump my own post's, but I am this time,

:eek:]
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

I always do mine in January. Time to get out my pink pin from Avon that I wear every year.

Thanks,

Karen :)

[This Message was Edited on 10/02/2006]
  8. gumama

gumama New Member

I too am a Breat Cancer Survivor... 8 yrs out... I can't support enough all thats been said... I caught mine early and the lump was very small... I had Radiation but NOTHING else...

I PRAISE GOD each day for my out come.... its very very important to do all the screenings...... I'm wearing all my Pink BC shirts this week and my bracelet as well...

PLEASE PLEASE be aware that you can survive this if you catch it early enough....

gumama
  9. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

again, ;o]
  10. mary124

mary124 New Member

Thanks for the reminder-- I get mine done when I go in for my yearly checkup--in July, this way I don't forget.
  11. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

is very important for all of us. I had my mammogram today. For any of you who have been putting it off, don't. Schedule yours now.

Linda
  12. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi Bruin! Thanks for the reminder. I'm getting ready for my annual 5K Susan Komen Breast cancer walk. I do it with my friends every year. I encourage anyone else who is thinking about it to do the walk. You don't have to be a runner or even in good shape. You can take as long as you want. A great cause, and a very important women's health issue. Take care, Kim
  13. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Bump for Breast Cancer Awareness
  14. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

There is also a post, about Inflammatory Breast Cancer, which is often over looked.

Don't forget to do the Shower Inspection once a month, a few years ago,my SIL & I exchanged a waterproof, sign, that was a reminder to do that.
    I think it was by Avon, as she was selling it at the time, Avon, and they do a lot of BCAwarness also.

Mary Kay is also another Co. that donates to BC causes, I used to sell that, lol, so me and my SIL and a nice, competive, business going, lol.

Here's a story for you, I was over at the Website, of my Classmates msg bd.
    THere was a photo of some girls, back in the Hay day's of School/High School.
    Two of the girls standing next to each other, out of the 5, both died of Breast Cancer, they had been lifelong friends since Kindergarden.

One of the Girls was also a "Miss Welcome to Long Beach", back in 64, and I was so Happy she won, because she was as Beautiful inside as she was in her apperance.
    She has a twin, who, so far, show's no sign of BC, thankgoodness.

So keep checking each month, and encourage others in your families and friends. ;o]
    sharonk
  15. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I had my Mamogram on Fri. and got the results in the Mail yesterday.
    I Passed , Hooray

I hope Everyone who gets one done, has the same results,
    sharonk
  16. webintrig

webintrig New Member

For this information.

I have fibrocystic disease of the breast and my mom died of Breast cancer among other cancers. She had fibrocystic disease. My sis does too. I call it lumpy breast disease...lol..just call me Lumpy!

It is important to get check when having a history of breast cancer in the family. Just having Fibrocystic disease is enough to be having yearly mamograms.

I wanted more information about Fibrocystic disease and I found out that people that have a history of this needs a mamogram done. We are more prone. New informaation out there.

I have been going on the age 40 thing. I have had a most recent one done and I am clear. I get one every year along with the well women's exam. To many people let this go and it is important to your health.

I wish everyone happiness and to be healthy!

Soft hugs,
  17. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Hi webintrig
    That is the same condition I have, and since having a Hyst. OP I haven't been bothered by them.
    If a person has this, they do need to pay more attention to doing the Self Breast Checks and the Mamograms too

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fibrocystic breast disease is described as common, benign (non-cancerous) changes in the tissues of the breast. The term "disease" in this case is misleading, and many providers prefer the term "change."

The condition is so commonly found in breasts, it is believed to be a variation of normal. Other related terms include "mammary dysplasia," "benign breast disease," and "diffuse cystic mastopathy."

Causes, incidence, and risk factors
    The cause is not completely understood, but the changes are believed to be associated with ovarian hormones since the condition usually subsides with menopause, and may vary in consistency during the menstrual cycle.

The incidence of it is estimated to be over 60% of all women. It is common in women between the ages of 30 and 50, and rare in postmenopausal women. The incidence is lower in women taking birth control pills. The risk factors may include family history and diet (such as excessive dietary fat, and caffeine intake), although these are controversial.

Symptoms
    A dense, irregular and bumpy "cobblestone" consistency in the breast tissue
    Usually more marked in the outer upper quadrants
    Breast discomfort that is persistent, or that occurs off and on (intermittent)
    Breast(s) feel full
    Dull, heavy pain and tenderness
    Premenstrual tenderness and swelling

Breast discomfort improves after each menstrual period
    Nipple sensation changes, itching

Note: Symptoms may range from mild to severe. Symptoms typically peak just before each menstrual period, and improve immediately after the menstrual period.

Theres more info at this website if anyone wants to check it out further.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000912.htm

Cheers,
    sharonk

[ advertisement ]