Ocular Migraines

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lady2, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Lady2

Lady2 New Member

I would like to know if anyone else suffers from these types of migraines. I have been offically diagnosised with Fibromyalgia just recently. And have found this site and would like to talk with anyone else out there that is experiencing the same thing. Lady2
  2. Nikki

Nikki Member

I don't have ocular migraines, but my 29 yr old son has them. They started about two years ago when he was attending a work related class out of town. His opthamalogist dx'd him and said they were nothing to worry about unless they began happening all the time. From what I can understand, the cause is the same as for regular migraines (w/o the pain). He loses his side vision . . . it's kinda like having tunnel vision (his description). I believe his is stress related. He doesn't have FM. This must be very disconcerting. His first experience lasted the longest . . . but, I'm sure it stressed him out not knowing what was happening. The times since have not lasted as long. I don't know if there is any relief . . . however, I believe he told me taking asprin helped him.

Nikki

3. herekitty

herekitty New Member

I get ocular migraines. Flashing lights, generally in my right eye, just on the outside edge. It sometimes progreses to a full-blown migraine, but usually not. Since they are not painful, I just ignore them until they go away. I had my retina checked, since the norm is to have them in both eyes, and I was worried about a possible detachment. Everything checked out OK - so it is just one more annoying thing.
    Kitty =^..^=
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I went through a period of time prior to my Diagnosis of FM and CFS, that I had a ocular migraines. Flashing lights (like a laser light show), vision that appeared to be like looking through a fractured mirror and all the pieces didn't fit, peripheral vision occluded. Usually they would come on abruptly, and then slowly wane. Sometimes I had a headache in the aftermath, but not always. I saw a Doc, and he diagnosed ocular migraines. I have not had any in a over a year now.
    The most debilitating aspect is that I was unable to function during them, and sat til they passed. I had one instance when driving, and pulled off the road and sat till my vision returned to normal. I was told that they did no damage, and often quit occuring, as mine did.
    Welcome to the board!
    Best wishes,
    LL

[This Message was Edited on 04/11/2003]
  5. lease79

lease79 New Member

suffered from Ocular Migraine with the cfs/fms the whole 11 years I have had it.
    Sometimes it is my worst symptom & makes me utterly miserable :(

Lease