Ocular/Optical Migraines

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dzlady, Dec 20, 2010.

1. dzlady

dzlady New Member

OK, so I seen an Ophthalmologist today at the request of my Doctor and he tells me I am having ocular/optical migraines and that I have calcium that has dropped in my eyes and I have globs of calcium floating around in my eyes. Wonderful. Have no clue what all that means. He tried to explain it to me, but I think I was on Mars because I dont remember a thing he told me or what it would/wouldn't do.

Is this something that is associated with FM? Does anyone have the slightest clue what all this means? Looked online and found out some info on ocular migraines but cant seem to find anything on the calcium stuff.

Either way, it doesnt appear that its something that is needing treatment. Yeah, OK! Maybe they ought to go a day seeing what I see. Its to the point I am almost scared to drive. I have 3 upcoming appointments 30+ miles away each and my son gets out of jail on the 29th, so I have to drive to pick him up. Again, another 30+ miles. My husband has to work during all these trips I have to make so I have to go myself. My nearest friend lives where my son is in jail at and she works mega hours, and is never available.

One of the appointments I have is with my Doctor, about these migraines, so I am going to speak to her further on some of the other issues I've been having. I just feel like I am falling apart. BAM! Turned 40 and I am just a ball of medical issues.

2. dzlady

dzlady New Member

As I explained to him, I get these little flashes of light in my peripheral vision that burn out and then have these little tails of lighter stuff that follows. I have blurring vision, that is like me without my glasses or contacts. (I am legally blind without corrective lenses) I have tunnel vision and I also have this shadowing or whitening out of things. Like I will be looking at something and all of a sudden the item or person I am looking at turns white and all I can see is an outline of the object/person but not any features of the item. My vision will also start to darken and blur from the outside inward. He suggested seeing my regular doctor, so I have an appointment wednesday.

I get the blurry vision several times a day, daily. The flashes of light are less frequent, maybe two or three times a week. There is usually no pain associated with these, but as I have read, sometimes the pain can come within an hour of the visual disturbance. But I really wasnt keeping track of when I had the visual disturbances and then migraines. Never associated the two because I was diagnosed with migraines over 10 years ago. Hereditary.

As for the amount of calcium I take, I take a daily multivitamin.

3. Doober

Doober New Member

But mine either start or end with the headache.

My Ocular/Optical Migraines symptoms start out with a small spot in one of my eyes, then grows to cover half my vision. My vision is a colored blur. Much like a kaleidoscope. This will then travel from one side of my vision to the other. then disappear.

This is bothersome when I am ready to go out somewhere or have to drive. I have to wait until it goes away before I can really do anything.

I too get what looks like quick flashes of white spots in the side of my vision, but I don't think this is a type of migraine. I hear that the white spot flashes may be one symptom of MS?
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sometimes, mine look like a checkered lightening flash across my vision. Other times, they look like a donut-shaped yellow light, kinda like in the old days when we used flash lights on our cameras. Mine usually go away in 10 mins. or so.

My eye doc said if they ever last anything close to an hour, it's an emergency and I should get medical attn. A person can evidently go blind from these if they last. I've found that placing 1/4 of a Klonopin tablet under my tongue makes them go away faster.

Love, Mikie
  5. dzlady

dzlady New Member

After researching what they were, I think I do have ocular migraines. But I also think there is something else going on. The flashes of light and the tunnel vision are the ocular migraines, the rest of the stuff is from something else, I'm sure.

The blurry vision, I am sure, comes from the FM, age and the fact that my vision is so poor to begin with, I think. I could be wrong. I do have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow. We'll see what she has to say.

Now why I see shadowed or whited out objects and people is beyond me. I really dont think he listened to everything I was telling him and jumped on the first thing that allowed him to have a diagnosis. The flashes of light = ocular migraines. But what can I expect...the exam was free thru a program I am with.

6. bct

bct Active Member

I was getting these -- no pain, just flashes and then total blindness in one eye for about 5 mins. Very scary. I had my last episode 4 months ago when seeing my oncologist. He gave me a nitro. pill and my vision cleared right up. A vascular problem. This doc carries the nitro with him because he lost his vision permanently in his affected eye. My regular doc has followed my onco's recomendation that I carry nitro or take a calcium channel blocker. I take the latter and it seems to have resolved the problem.

7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is that this is what my doc told me. He is one of the best in the area and I think I'll take his word for it.

Love, Mikie
  8. bct

bct Active Member

I do not get fluid build up/edema. I drink a lot of liquids through the day, mostly herbal teas and green and black teas.

9. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I think I may be dealing with this problem as well. I have FM. Also, I get migrains and wonder if it is what you are talking about. At one time, I lost my vision overnight in my right eye, but I don't believe I had a migraine at the time I lost the vision. This happened back in 2003 and I had to see a neurologist.

They wanted me to have a duplex scan to see if I had a stroke ( I was only 38 at the time). I also had to have an MRI of the brain and spine. Nothing was ever discovered except for them just chalking it up to my FM. Also, the calcium you brought up is interesting.

I had blood work done and I believe my blood calcium level was border line. My reading was 10.3 and 10.5 was considered abnormal, now you have me wondering if there is a connection to this or not. My doctor didn't say anything about the blood calcium test because it was "within nornal range", but it was pretty close to being abnormal. I am just wondering if there is a connection of some sort. My migrains have become much better over the years. Taking magnesium (but not with calcium) has helped and also mild exercise has helped too. Now I hear that CoQ10 helps with migrains as well. I take 200 milligrams of CoQ10 everyday and rarely have these headaches anymore, although they do crop up once in a while.

I'm 45 and feel like I'm a ball of medical issues as well. Take care, Hugs Chelz.
  10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

My ex-husband used to get ocular migraines, but they would occur when his blood sugar got too low - e..g, he would skip breakfast, drink a lot of coffe and by noon be heading for trouble. Then he would eat something, hopefully with protein, and his symptoms would gradually subside. That seemed to be the only time he got them so for him they were completely avoidable, if he wanted to.