odd question... do carrots wake you up at night?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I tried eating carrots again (both cooked and raw) after going without them for a few months. And they had the same effect as last time - they kept me up at night! Well, not UP up, but awake for an hour and a half in the middle of the night. Does anyone else have this? What could be doing it? Thanks. ((( ))) :)
  2. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

For me we figured out it was the natural oils in carrots that get me (it has some terpenes and limonenes among others).

They're in the same food family as hemlock and angelica and while the medicinal oils in carrots seem to benefit many people, lots of us don't tolerate them.

Jan
  3. Shannonsparkles

Thanks! I might try a smaller ammount of cooked carrots in a week or so to see if I can tollerate less. They're so tasty! I wonder whether it could be the sugar or the oils that I have trouble with. It would be great if they were medicinal. I used to get simaler reactions when I first tried eating onions and garlic, some sort of die-off thing. I really hope I'll be able to eat more foods eventually. I only can eat two kinds of vegetables at present (zucchini and romaine lettuce). Everything else seems to make me sick one way or other.
  4. Shannonsparkles

Yes, I remember someone mentioned about raw carrots lowering thyroid level. Next time I'll just try cooked carrots to be safe. I made such a nice soup on my carrot testing day. Those carrot slices really made it shine. Hope I can have carrots again safely.

Thank you everyone. :) All so knowlegeable here!!!!!