Odd sensation during sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Missizzy, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

Hi everyone--I have a question about an odd symptom that I've been experiencing more and more often. I've been trying to come up with the best descriptive words so this will make sense. Isn't it funny how many times we find ourselves without words to describe weird symptoms?

Anyway, I semi-wake up several times throughout the night and have this strange, heavy sensation in my thighs. It's almost as if all my blood has sort of pooled there. It happens both when I'm sleeping face down or face up. They feel heavy, uncomfortable, buzzy, and numb. It's a very different feeling than a limb "falling asleep" and it is in both thighs (from my bottom down to just above my knees) equally. I'll wake up slightly, groan quite a bit (per my husband's report), and move around until it passes in a minute or so. It's a VERY unpleasant feeling.

I take Klonopin at bedtime to sleep and have for three years. I recently increased my dose slightly but the thigh "thing" pre-dates the increase. In fact I'm pretty sure this is the reason my sleep has become more fitful and I needed more Klonopin.

I should also mention that I am bedbound quite often but still stretch and walk around a bit everyday in the house. I'm still quite limber. I've never felt this sensation during waking hours. I'm quite petite so extra weight is not the problem. I haven't started any new meds or supplements. Nothing on my bed is different.

I'm just baffled and have actually been dreading bedtime over the course of the last few weeks, knowing it's going to happen. This is the same way I used to dread the horrible myoclonus. The Klonopin has helped that so much.

I hesitate to even mention it to my doctor as I'm tired of explaining strange symptoms. I know you've all had the experience of saying something like "well, the left side of my tongue has been numb lately" or "I've been having bee-sting sensations in my leg again" and just knowing that the doctor must be privately rolling his eyes.

I'm hoping someone might know what this is. Thanks so much.

2. findmind

findmind New Member

I think I know what you mean, and I also think I've narrowed down the cause: inactivity.

When all I've felt like doing is sit in my lounger and/or couch, and then even need to take a nap, I find my blood feels like it has pooled in my upper thighs, also.

It is a horrible feeling and I know, know, know I must get moving more, but it is the hardest thing to do!

Just moving around to make dinner or put a load of clothes here or there is not enough.

Let's make a pact: let's walk around for 10 min., 2-3 times a day, even if in our own back yard!

Anyone want to join us? Let's see if it helps, ok?

Best to you,
  3. VistaDeNada

VistaDeNada Guest

Hi, all!

I'm having a burning feeling in my upper right thigh only; about half way down from my hip to the knee, maybe even a little below the knee cap.

I first felt it after a long car ride, about 3 hours without stretching. Thought of a blood clot but figured it could just be another crazy symptom of fibro so I let it slide. That was 5 weeks ago. I talked to my doctor about it during my physical but she said it's probably a pinched nerve in my back and it will go away on its own.

It has not gone away or gotten worse per se, but it's awfully painful...Like the "growing pain" from hell! It gets worse as the day goes on, and by bedtime I'm crying and double-dosing on my pain meds. I took myself to emergency twice in the last couple of weeks but didn't get in within 3-4 hours so I left and went home both times. It was way past my bedtime and I figured if it was a blood clot I'd be dead already...

I've called my doctor's office twice since then, and the nurse calls me back days later and tells me to take Aleve (like she doesn't know I already take darvocet, flexeral and lyrica -- sheesh! She even gets my name wrong sometimes. Let's just say I have lost all trust in my PCP).

So, I was searching this board for 'thigh pain' and found a few of us here. Maybe it is 'just' the fibro and will peter itself out over time. It doesn't tingle, isn't restless, doesn't get numb, and there's no rash. It feels like the bone under the muscle is on fire. Sharp and achy at the same time. A lot like what my parents used to tell me were growing pains when I was a kid. But this is daily and I've started using a cane.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I'm so tired of searching the internet for strange symptoms and diseases. I feel fortunate to even have the internet, but when will it ever end?