Oddest injuries?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hugs4evry1, May 8, 2008.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Since I now have nothing but time on my hands after tearing my quadracep while bending down to pick up my husband's smoke off the ground I was doing some thinking, uh oh.......

I'm in my chair with a heating pad on my left hip (from taking the brunt of the weight while on crutches, my right elbow wrapped in an Ace bandage because of the pain from the crutches and my knee wrapped because the quad muscle holds up the knee cap...not to mention the pain in the thigh because of the tear.

But I was thinking back to when I was pregnant with my son....

I was 6 mos along, had a cast on my right leg from ankle to high thigh (for dislocating my knee) and was hospitalized for pluracy too. I always considered that one my worst until now.

What's your oddest injury story?

2. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

But I have been bitten by a cat in the typical spot....between the thumb and index finger.

Anyway, a "family pet" story. This fellow bought a pet python (Why??!) and was handling it. He went directly to his normally friendly kitty who had four week old kittens.

The cat smelled the python smell on his hand and went totally ballistic.

Anyway, he went into hospital for IV antibiotics because he couldn't keep down oral antibiotics.

Oh, if get a cat bite a good idea to go directly to doctor. Gets quicky seriously infected and can cause permanent damage. I keep wondering if cat bites were fatal two hundred years ago. Cheers, mr Bill
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

No weird, at least not for me, but most recent was slicing my finger to the bone on Tuesday night. The cut is only about half an inch long and hitting the bone kept it from going any deeper!!

So maybe I shouldn't be playing with my carving knives. Or at least I should be paying attention!

Always beware of women with knives!

4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I once put my back out just sitting in the hot-tub. It was a severe injury and when people would ask how I did it, I'd wish for an athletic-type story to tell, rather than having to say 'I just sitting there'. I've since learned that hot-tub injuries are quite common on account of the muscles being so relaxed and fragile from the heat but at the time, I felt like the oddest of balls.
    God bless, Anne Theresa
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

This is kind of an odd one,,,,last spring i Bent over to pick up something off the floor and couldn't straighten back up,,,,Excruiating pain and a large lump on the right side of my lower spine,,,,,,needless to say i couldn't walk very well eighter being bent in half!,,,,,lots of ice packs!

had to get a Prednisone shot and was on the couch for 2 weeks,,,,,was not able to stand up straight for 3 weeks,,,,the Doc. called it a Ridicualopothy,(sp),,,,,,,,felt like i was going to die!,,,,But just being on my feet now is NICE!,,,,,,Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 05/09/2008]
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

He was traveling cross-country and stayed in a hotel in Texas. He got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, vaguely remembers feeling a sort of 'scratch' on his foot, but couldn't see anything in the bathroom.

He was home 2 days later by which time his foot had slightly swollen... then it started to move up his leg and he started feeling really sick. On Xmas Eve, he ended up in the ER getting abx via IV! and having to go back for 3-4 more days for treatment to keep it under control and finally get rid of it.

While we suspect it was due to a scorpion? - There was never any sign of where he was 'scratched' or 'stung' or 'bitten'. Nobody could really explain what it was... but of course that was the hospital here in Georgia.

I also thought once there was a crumb on my lip, brushed it off, and felt a slight scratch as I did so but no blood or anything... within an hour it had swollen about 20X normal size! That was here in Georgia, but I have no idea again what the heck it was, I was in the house anyway!

[This Message was Edited on 05/09/2008]
  7. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

was working as a veterinarian's assistant and was bitten on her hand by a cat. She was sent to the emergency room where she was given sulfa antibiotics. She had a very bad reaction to the sulfa. Extremely bad headache and very dry mouth. Back to the emergency room! She survived the ordeal, but since then I've found out I,too, am allergic to sulfa. Isn't that totally interesting? hahaha.

Take care, Nancy. I'm sending healing thoughts for you.

8. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

For making me feel less like a boob.....

Anne Theresa, I too wish I had some kind of athletic story to go along with my injury instead of just saying I bent down to pick something up.

Maybe we could all come up with a good cover story?

9. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I kept telling the doctor that my baby was kicking me so hard that food would be forced up my esophagus and out my nose and mouth. This wasn't vomiting!

I could tell he didn't believe me. Well, at 8 1/2 months of pregnancy, I bent over to turn the water on for the bathtub and my son kicked outwards. I heard the ribs crack and the pain was immediate. It hurt to breathe. I had 2 green stick fractures of the 9th and 10th ribs (I think that was the rib numbers). I had to go to the ER. They covered up as much as possible of my son from getting x rays. There in the x ray with my two fractured ribs were 2 feet. One of those little feet gave me the kick that broke my two ribs.

So I got to do Lamaze breathing during labor with my ribs all bandaged up. The nurses kept squalking at me because I wasn't taking deep enough breaths. yeah, right. Two broken ribs, a mile of elasticized bandages wrapped tightly around my entire rib cage---and I'm supposed to be able to take deep breaths.

The ribs didn't heal until after the delivery. Every breath I took felt as if my skin was getting pinched in the fractured part.
    Oh, can I add another. Rudy, my rescue minature schnauzer pulled me off of my electric mobility scooter while chasing a cat. I had a concussion. I was evidently unconscious on the street (according to my neurologist). I had 5 stitches above my rt. eye, A huge black eye that took about 7 weeks for the bruising to go away, and cracked off the bottom 1/3 of my front tooth.

My second fall with my scooter also involved Rudy. This time, I cut open the opposite eye brow and got more stitches. I also had a bad sprain to my l. wrist from the fall.

Then I broke my toe and sprained 3 other toes while riding my scooter in the house. tHat is because I am riding with one of my feet not on the scooter since the two falls. So I got my foot caught between the wheel fender of the scooter and an o utside corner of a wall. CRUNCH!

I think I better stop now or you will begin to call me klutz.[This Message was Edited on 05/09/2008]
  10. Springfling

Springfling New Member

A few years back when I wasn't as heavy and in pain like I am now....

I was cleaning my bathroom and decided to stand on the toilet seat to dust above a cabinet there.

The toilet seat moved when I did and somehow I landed on the corner of the bathtub and hit my tailbone.

It was a bit embarrasing going to the docs, but I couldn't sit right for weeks and walked funny too.

Was just bruised really bad. Doc said I was lucky, but I didn't feel that way!
  11. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

From a twisted knee to arthroscopy to not being able to even get out of bed. The knee injury flared up the whole body. Who would think that could happen, except someone living with FMS and MPS?

But the work. comp. and my attorney do not want the FMS even mentioned, though the flare-up was caused by the injury to my knee from working, which has disabled me for the last 4 months.
  12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I guess we've all had some odd injuries, haven't we?

Hugs all,