ODing On Oranges???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by abcanada, Jan 19, 2007.

1. abcanada

abcanada New Member

My husband brought home 2 12lb cases of navel oranges today as prices are said to triple here this week. Best oranges I've had in years. I ate 4! I'll probably regret it tomorrow! Take care, Laura
  2. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I just recently started liking oranges

I just don't have much to say

3. abcanada

abcanada New Member

I had no idea you could freeze them, but worth a try. Maybe do one to be sure you like the texture, as it often changes. You could juice them as well, then freeze. I know where you're coming from with the $$$. With 4 small kids I've learned to sniff out a bargain a mile away! My hubby is a Meat Manager at a grocery store, so we luck out with deals sometimes. I'm getting smart about buying big! We have 8 turkeys in the freezer as the fresh ones were marked down 1/2 price on christmas eve. Now that I've got decent pain meds, I'd like to start making soups & goodies again. Hopefully.
    Mindbender, nice to hear from you! Hope things are ok these days. Any new pics to show off?
  4. abcanada

abcanada New Member

Yah I ate 4 this morning. I'm going to put them out of site. 2 of my 4 kids need tons of fruit, so they're really enjoying this. I have literally not had oranges this sweet in ages. Will get my hubby to get 2 more cases tonight! Hope you all get some before the prices go up, Laura
  5. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

my FAVORITE fruit (ok, maybe has competition from apricots) and I CRAVE them all year long. So, I've been really disturbed because of the extensive damage to this year's crop!

Even though I crave them year-round, I don't BUY them until January...usually before that they are not ripe enough for me (imported oranges don't count as far as I'm concerned). I think they are sweet by January, and go on getting sweeter until June (just before they peter out).

We have a few orange trees here on the property, and I haven't tried to check yet but...hopefully they may have escaped the damage, but I know they don't ripen for another month.

I was interested to know you could freeze oranges!

adcanada...almost sorry to hear that this year's oranges were the best in years! Really magnifies the loss. (sob) Hope you don't suffer from the 4 you ate...I don't think you will, I could eat that many myself and have never had an "aftereffect" (unless you count marathon pee-ing).
    [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2007]