oesophagus & stomach spasms, weight loss anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Misdiagnosed, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Hi
    Does anyone else get stomach, bowel and oesophagus spasms that affect breathing? My rectus abdominus muscles that run down the centre of my belly go really hard and it affects my breathing. My whole diaphragm goes tight. Throat muscles constantly taught - have also lost 11kilos unintentionally since Dec '02. My right psoas muscle is in constant spasm and causes lots of pelvic pain. Can't get the spasm out - affects my nervous system causing lots of anxiety, depression etc.

Am having an endoscopy and colonoscopy next week to rule out anything else. Although I had a colonoscopy when I first got bowel problems 2 years ago and it was clear. My muscles have gone all stringey everywhere, arms, legs included.

Just wondering if anyone else has these symptoms?
    Thanks
    Gill
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I can't help with your questions, so am giving you a bump up so others maybe able to help you.

The boards are slow on the weekends, so if your post drops down again, just bump it back up yourself.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. tiredTina

tiredTina New Member

I don't have a clue as to what you are feeling, but I hope you can find answers, and I hope you feel better soon!!!
    ~Tina~
  4. 2girls

2girls New Member

I have all the symptoms you mentioned, and in fact loss 25lbs in one month and have not been able to gain. Have you been checked for parasites? I am currently being treated for this (unfortunatly I do not know which particular parasite). Taking triple dose antibiotics. I am having a hell of a time (in the bathroom several times a day) but I can see it working. My doc said these parasites can live in the body for years in rare instances. I think its worth a shot.

Good luck
    2girls
  5. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

aka Gluten sensitive enteropathy

The muscle spasms can be caused by electrolyte and vitamin deficiencies, nerve irritation from same or from back/disc problems, lack of blood supply (oxygen) to the muscles, or from overuse such as strenuous exercise. My first thought was maybe the back/disc and nerve related problems, but I thought I would throw this at you, too. 2Girl's suggestion for a stool analysis is still a good idea, as it will also tell you the components of the stool, malabsorption, incomplete digestion and other important information.

Tell me if anything here rings true...

This is from the National Library of Medicine:

The difference between normal bowel tissue and that found in celiac patients is remarkable. In celiacs, the normal finger-like projections (villi) which increase the absorptive surface area of the small intestine are partially or totally flattened or reduced. Enzymes located on the brush border are also drastically reduced. Lactase, the enzyme responsible for splitting milk sugar (lactose) so it can be absorbed, is an example of one of these brush border enzymes. This decrease in lactase explains why some untreated celiac sprue patients may not be able to tolerate milk products and will have developed lactose intolerance.

The small bowel biopsy samples of persons with dermatitis herpetiformis often show similar damage. The body responds to the damage of villi in the small intestine by making new cells at a faster rate. However, the production of new cells cannot keep up with the rate at which they are being destroyed through the exposure to the gliadin fraction of gluten. Gluten from wheat, barley, rye and oats must be removed from the diet before normal villous structure will return.

The second essential part of the diagnosis is improvement on a gluten-free diet. Elimination of all wheat, barley, rye and oat products and any of their derivatives is essential. In some instances, soy beans, milk and chicken have been shown to cause the same biopsy changes. In children, viral gastroenteritis may also produce an abnormal biopsy which looks the same as a biopsy from an individual with undiagnosed celiac sprue. Therefore, demonstration of improvement on a gluten-free diet is crucial to diagnosis.

A diagnosis of celiac sprue can be made through careful consideration of three major sources of information which comprise the database: a history of the disease as given by the patient; physical examination; and, a series of laboratory findings. It is important to note that patients with celiac sprue show a wide variation in severity and the number of abnormalities and symptoms vary from patient to patient.

History of the Disease
    Important considerations include the following areas:

symptoms - such as diarrhea, fatigue, cramping, weakness, bloating, flatus. Has there been a history of dehydration, electrolyte depletion or acidosis?

stools - foul, floating, clay-colored, light tan or gray; highly rancid and frothy; not all patients have diarrhea, some complain of constipation.

in children - failure to grow, weight loss or failure to gain weight.

emotional status - irritability and inability to concentrate.

although gastroenterological symptoms may be present, the most distressing problems may involve other organ systems. Examples: refractory iron deficiency anemia; back pain as a result of a collapsed lumbar vertabrae; osteopenic bone disease; hyperparathyroidism; and amenorrhea.

Physical Examination
    Depending of the presentation of symptoms, the physician will check for some of the following items:

emaciation; decrease in muscle mass and fatty tissue.
    pallor (due to anemia).
    hypotension (low blood pressure).
    edema (due to low levels of protein, (albumin) in the blood.
    dermatitis herpetiformis (skin lesions).
    easy bruising (lack of vitamin K).
    bone or skin and mucosa membrane changes due to vitamin deficiencies (potassium is to soft tissue what calcium is to hard tissue).
    protruding or distended abdomen (intestine dysmotility).
    loss of various sensations in extremities including vibration, position and light touch (vitamin deficiency).
    signs of severe vitamin/mineral deficiencies which may include the following:
    diminished deep tendon reflexes.
    signs of tetany (muscle spasms) denoting severe magnesium and/or calcium deficiency.
    bone tenderness and bone pain due to osteomalacia.
    Laboratory Findings
    Some of the following tests may be used in determining malabsorption syndrome (celiac disease).

Blood tests
    serum carotene.
    nutritional anemia.
    iron deficiency anemia.
    vitamin B-12/folate deficiency.
    clotting time (indicator of vitamin K deficiency)
    protein (serum albumin; transferrin).
    minerals (calcium, magnesium, zinc).
    electrolytes.
    cholesterol.
    stool examination
    24-hour weight of stool (abnormal if greater than 300 grams).
    presence of increased fat (stool which contains more than 6% of the amount of fat consumed).
    tolerance or measure of digestion/absorption tests
    lactose tolerance test.
    D-Xylose test.
    immunologic tests
    endomysiac antibodies.
    gliadin antibodies.
    reticulin antibodies.
    serum IgA.
    the jejunal (small bowell) biopsy

Further investigations are usually concerned with excluding other conditions (finding out what is not occurring), assessing which nutritional deficiencies are present and sometimes finding out about the severity of the deficiency. And with this observation, learning which nutrients are being absorbed and which are not.
  6. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

for your lengthy response. All sounds very much like the symptoms I'm getting. However, my gastro has run a few blood tests including one for celiac antibodies. Everything has come back ok, magnesium fine, no rheumatological factors present, B12/folic acid fine (now, they weren't 2 years ago when symptoms first started); the only thing abnormal was the serum levels of iron were low and the storge levels were high - not quite sure what that was all about and he's done nothing about that bit so far - am booked for endoscopy/colonoscopy/ct abdomen this week.

Each day I wake up with the muscle tightening symptoms getting worse - particularly on the right side and have neurological symptoms all over - trouble open and closing my hands when I first get up, stiff neck and muscles, weird tingling and electricity/burning feelings all through body. Feel like I'm shrinking and tightening from the inside. Been trying to get an answer for a long time and am getting fearful they can't find out what's wrong with me.

Thanks for your support.
    Regards
    Gill
  7. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

I have had lots of tests including a stool test which showed no signs of parasites. They did find some candida and I've been on anti-fungals but there was no symptom relief. So far all they've found is an abnormal iron result - low serum iron and high storage of iron. As yet they're not addresing that but have booked me for endoscopy/colonoscopy/CT of abdomen this week.

Am getting desperate as my symptoms started 2 years ago and have finally gotten a lot worse in the last 6 months. Was only in my right hip and shoulder initially but now am getting neurological symptoms all over and muscle tightening is very bad on the right and is now affecting the left side too. Strange tingling sensation throughout body - can feel tendons twitching and shortening and I can't stretch this tightness out.

Thanks for your reply
    Regards
    Gill
  8. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

WHOOOOA - Did you say you iron levels are low, but your liver enzymes were high? Have you been checked for Iron overload? It's sort of the opposite of anemia. It can be hereditary or acquired. Do an internet search on this, preferably through the Google search engine. There are specific tests for this. Don't rely on liver enzymes alone as iron toxicity can damage organs other that just the liver.

Also, about the Celiac, you can still have an intolerance/allergy to gluten or just to wheat without having Celiac. You can try eliminating wheat from your diet and see if this makes a difference.

I hope you can determine something soon, the iron thing worries me and it should never have been disregarded in the past. Get on that right away.

Lane
  9. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Thanks for your reply - I'm not a 100% sure of exactly what the iron thing is all about. My GP said 'your serum levels of iron are low but your storage levels of iron are high' and she gave me iron supplements to take for the supposed anemia. However as I'm due to have a colonoscopy soon the gastro has said not to take the iron supplements yet as they can discolour the bowel and will make it look too dark during the test. I'm really not clear on what it all means.

All I know is my muscles/tissues feel like they have the wrong texture - I have muscle wasting and my muscles feels overly tight everywhere. It's driving me mad as my nervous system is being affected too. Tingling, prickling sensations and muscle spasms.

I'm seeing a doctor this afternoon; someone who used to treat me when I first started developing symptoms. He's been out of action for a while but he has a good intuitive approach so I'll be asking him to explain it to me. will let you know how I go.

Thanks for your support
    Kind regards
    Gill

[ advertisement ]