of magnesium oxide

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mer66, Feb 15, 2007.

1. mer66

mer66 New Member

Hi Again,
    I just tried to call the company to get the info on what percentage their magnesium oxide is but could only get their answering machine,I left my name and number but I also emailed them just now, the bottle says there is 262mg of magnesium oxide and 195mg of magnesium citrate.
    Is that alright?
    Thank-you for sending me the symptoms of magnesium deficiency that is exactly what I had been experiencing, it was really bad in December.
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

At least there's a good bit of the citrate. So even if you are absorbing just a little of the oxide, let's say 20%, then you're still getting about 250 mg of mag. You probably want somewhere between 400-800 mg of mag for the day, depending on your severity of symptoms. Start low and increase if you think it's necessary. I think I average about 600-800 most days.

It's really hard to say how much to take because even if you're eating a lot of veggies, the soil may have been depleted of minerals or you may not be absorbing them well from food. And if you eat too much protein, the body uses up more minerals. So make sure you aren't eating too much protein, we really don't need alot. Try to listen to your body and if you are eating chicken or meat, let's say, and all of a sudden you feel "too" full, then stop eating, you've had enough protein. Don't try to get down the last couple of bites just to finish it. It's better to throw it away or save it for later than to overburden your body with it.

Too much protein is the main cause of osteoporosis, from what I can tell. Because too much protein depletes calcium and calcium needs magnesium to assimilate in the body. Too much milk will deplete magnesium, too, since it has much more calcium than magnesium. And coffee will deplete them both also.

I think this is more info than you wanted, so I'll quit. Just make sure you get enough mag, it regulates the calcium, potassium and sodium in our bodies, among other things.

best wishes,

karen

3. Catseye

Catseye Member

This is from a body and fitness website I was looking at.

"Did you know that without sufficient magnesium you would actually die? Your heart will stop beating and the doctors will then call it a "heart attack" (#1 cause of death in America). Never do they say, "He dies from a Magnesium Deficiency." This is how critical it is to have proper magnesium levels in the body. The early signs of such terminal extinction are racing heart-beats, or any unsual change in heart beats, angina pains, collapsing from echaustion after heavy physical exercise or work such as running a race, playing football or basket ball. Due to lack of magnesium the heart muscle develops a spasm or cramp and stops beating. this is because there is insufficient magnesium to relax the heart ready for the next contraction. Irregular heartbeats are also caused by magnesium deficiency. This may be the answer why so many young athletes are having heart attack for no known reason. "

I have been suspecting that the listed "causes of death" were misleading for some time. This is just one example of nutrient deficiencies being widespread and deliberately ignored. If we know we need certain vitamins, minerals and amino acids to live, why is it we hever hear of people dying of deficiencies of them? It must be happening all the time but gets listed as "organ failure".

karen
  4. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

You definitely want at least 400mg a day of magnesium. I was taking Oxide but read several places that it is useless. Yours has citrate in it too which is good but the oxide isn't a very absorbable kind.

I switched to Magnesium Glycinate almost 3 weeks ago as it is a much better kind. I take 400mg a day right now but may increase that.

Hope you get what you need. You definitely don't want to be deficient in magnesium. I was having many of the symptoms too.

I read it can take 2 months of supplementing magnesium to get back to normal...not sure if that is true or not.

Take Care,
    Pam