Off FM subject but want ideas for a cancer patient friend

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by segrin, Aug 15, 2005.

1. segrin

segrin New Member

Hi all,
    I know of someone (husbands boss's wife) who is only 32 yrs old and has 3 kids under the age of 4 and she has a progressive cancer (Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma) is undergoing heavy treatment and I would like suggestions on something nice to send her and a little something for the kids that maybe she could do with them while she is in bed. I have been sending her Boost for her feeding tube but would like to do something personal other than that.
    Thanks you all have always helped me and my FM and feel you all might have some wonderful considerate ideas to share.
    Thank you for all your help.
  2. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

I have a couple of ideas for what they're worth.

- homemade dinners that can be frozen. Spaghetti sauce is always a fave with kids. I also do homemade veg soups, puree the base and when I reheat it, I add a little cream and fresh herbs. Yummy and healthy. Homemade TV dinners are great too....I always do that with leftover roast dinners. Just put 'em in an aluminum pie plate - meat, potatos, dressing, gravy & veg - cover with foil and freeze. Then reheat in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes.

- For little children, the BEST board game I ever found is called "Guess Who?" Kids eliminate the game "people" by facial features etc. Easy and not too much concentration required by Mom. Or they can play it while she watches.
    A really cute version would be to replace the "game people" with photos of family and friends! Even pets!

- pre-cut fabric squares and some tubes of fabric paints, sparkles, tee-shirt paints. They can make squares and you can have them sewn together into a wall hanging or quilt.

- puzzles, and a bedtable base to make them on, with a puzzle mat.

- rubber stamps and loads of paper and ink pads.

- A family tree book. Mom can fill out and tell stories/answer questions from the kids. Kids can glue pictures inside or write memories of family times.

- DVDs and VHS movies.

- puppet theatre. The kids can perform their puppet plays for mom.

Well, just some thoughts. I'm sorry your friend is so sick. Bless you for your thoughtfullness and kindness to her and her children. Wishing you well, nature
  3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

what great ideas. I love the dinner idea so no one has to cook. Meat loaf freezes well and is easy to make also.

I am thinking for her maybe some nice gowns so she feels better while she is having to be in bed so much. She might not feel up to that, but sometimes dressing nicely or fixing yourself up makes you feel better on a crappy day.

I love the idea of replacing the Guess Who faces with family and friends! I love that game also and it is very easy to play.
  4. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

....all us girls love pretty pjs, and they DO make us feel better when we're sick! Any kind of "pampering" gifts would be wonderful for her.

Check with your local cancer society....I believe there's a national program that focuses on grooming and beauty for cancer patients, to feel better about themselves.

nature (ps I love meatloaf!!!)
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

and nature, that is a good idea about the cleaning service.

Some extra large cotton pajama bottoms and tops woud be nice (at least I love them!) WalMart has some great bottoms right now. I saw them just the other day.

Sonya
  6. zuzu2

zuzu2 New Member

the program naturebaby is referring to is called "look good, feel better". i love the idea about hiring a cleaning service! or how about a babysitting service, so she would have some time to rest? naturebaby, i love your suggestions. also you could arrange for her to have a swedish message at home. zuzu