Off Of SSD! Yea!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had always been told that I wouldn't age in to SS until age 66, so I assumed I'd be on SSD for another year. I just found out from SS that if one is on SSD, one goes on regular retirement SS at age 65. I'm soooo happy. No more worries about being reviewed nor about earning too much in any one month and losing my benefits.

One of my goals/benchmarks is to ski with my grandson on the bunny slopes this winter. I was worried sick that if I did, someone might assume I am no longer disabled and am able to work. I'll likely never be able to work more than part time. I've skied all my life, so skiing gentle slopes for part of the day will not likely be too much for me unless I'm in a flare. I was also worried about being injured by another skier and the medical info getting back to SSD. Now, I can ski with Andy and not worry about it. It's such a relief, I can't tell you how good it feels and how happy I am.

I pray for all of us here, especially those who are trying to get SSD. It's soooo hard with what we have to prove our cases and show our need. I also pray to give thanks that I've been able to achieve some healing, enough to no longer be bedridden so much of the time. I'm not well but I'm sure better than I was. My prayers for healing for everyone.

Love, Mikie
  2. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

YAY 4 U!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're right! This will simplify things for ya!

3. jole

jole Member

Here's hoping you have a great time with your grandson on those slopes!! My kids love skiing, so I understand "a little" where you're coming from. Me...I'd rather sit inside with a cuppa hot chocolate and watch through a

Yes, I understand they actually do check up on disabled people, and love to catch them doing more than they say they can, so this is great news for you. Too bad they don't know all the struggles you've gone through to get to where you are today, and how much you've deserved every penny you've gotten...always trying to better your health and working when you couldn't. You are an inspiration to so many of us!

As for the insurance, I have to say the disability does cut back many options. My hubby and I applied for LTC ins. and not a single company would even consider me because of my FM! Well, it turns out we couldn't afford it you'd think FM/CFS is a definite fatal dx from the way we're treated! Maybe in a couple more years I'd be considered? Who knows!

Anyway, I'm very happy for you....okay, the only advantage I know of for being 65. Enjoy your family :) To me, they're the very best part of life! Love ya....Jole
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate all your good wishes. It's amazing to me how much relief I am feeling over this. I hadn't realized just how big a cloud I had been living under. Being on, or even trying to get, SSD means you are being torn in two directions. On the one hand, you have to demonstrate your disability and how it affects your inability to work full time and make a living. On the other hand, you are desperately trying to get better. These two things are at odds to one another. Many of us, like me, are able to get better over time but that doesn't mean we are healed or able to magically just go back to working full time. Still, any evidence that we are better may be held against us if our cases are reviewed. Under the "Ticket To Work" program, they agree not to review one medically as long as the ticket is valid. That is why I used mine. Also, I wanted help in finding a part time job I could do. As it turned out, the guy running the program here was totally in over his head. I found my own job. It's just a job but that's all I can handle and all I want at this point in my life.

I do not believe that SSD has investigators out checking on people on SSD. That said, however, if they received a complaint from someone, they might investigate it. It is the private disability insurance companies who are infamous for hounding people on their disability to try to catch them. Of course, there are those who fake accidents and are caught but most are legit. It is even more difficult, in most cases, to get private disability. They also try to get people to obtain SSD and then they deduct the amt. of SSD from the private payouts.

I am enormously thankful for the SSD which allowed me to make it til age 65. It took three years to get approved after I was unable to work and had filed for it. I paid into it for years and was entitled to it once I became disabled. Still, I count it as a blessing. I encourage anyone who can no longer work to file for it and I pray for everyone's success.

I just didn't realize that being on SSD was as stressful as it was at an unconscious level until I learned that I've been put on retirement SS. It feels as though a tremendous weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Again, thank you all for your sweet caring and comments. Hugs and prayers to you all.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Strangely, after I had filed, a car parked across from my condo in a guest spot. He was there for hours at a time. Finally a couple of concerned neighbors talked to him to find out what business he had on our common property. He admitted he was a private investigator but wouldn't say for whom he worked or on whom he was spying. After that, he quit hanging around. I really don't think he was from SSA. It was more likely some kind of domestic situation in one of the condo bldgs. Strange, though, that it was during the daytime. In any case, I was sick in bed so if he were there to spy on me, he got nada.

SSA is so overworked and understaffed that I really don't believe they investigate very often. The thing which bothers me is that they make mistakes and it can take forever to get things straightened out. I really never believed they would revisit my case at my age but one never knows. On the "Ticket To Work" program, they promise not to review one's case as long as one is on the ticket and isn't working full time nor earning above the cap.

My neighbor, on regular retirement SS, has been told she was overpaid and it is taking years to get it straightened out. Each time they talk to someone at SSA, they get a different figure of overpayment. Yikes!

Again, I am very thankful for the SSD which kept me afloat but I am immensely relieved to be off of it.

Love, Mikie
  6. ckball

ckball New Member

That's great but I thought you were much younger, like my age mid low 50's :) It does take the pressure off. You have come a long way and it wasn't easy but you did it and were a inspiration to all of us here.

Couldn't happened to a nicer person. I got good news today- they passed on my 3 year review, I had to file paper work about 2 months ago and today they said I am fine for 3 more years without contacting my Dr.

Like someone else said- I keep my Dr appts every 4 months. Hope you are enjoying your new baths-Carla
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Glad you do not have to worry abaout the whole hassle. Gee, you are a real youngster kiddo, Mikie !! I am sure you are happy you didnt have to go through everything again, more doctor visits, paper work, etc. etc. Glad you do not have to worry about having your SSD removed or anything.

Hugs and blessings,

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I always love it when people give their pets "people" names. I'm honored to share my name with a cat (also the little boy on the cereal ads who eats everything :)

My vocational counselor told me that the real agenda for SS's Ticket To Work is to get people off disability and get them working full time. I used mine to see whether they could help me find a job and also because SS says they will not do a medical review when one has activated the ticket. If one is my age, or if one cannot work more than an hour or two a day, there isn't much to be gained by using the ticket. I was hoping that using it might lead to a better job which would utilize my education and background. I ended up finding my own job at Publix and it really has worked out well. There is little-to-no stress. I do my job the best I can and go home without ever "taking my job home with me." By the same token, when I'm at work, I'm not thinking about anything else except my customers and coworkers. My marketing and sales background does help my store because I do a little merchandising when I'm not busy. I have gotten raises every six months and, while I'm not making big bucks, it's above what these kinds of jobs usually pay here. The best part is that I can take off pretty much whenever I want to if I give them enough notice. That kind of flexibility is worth more than money to me. I'll probably work another five years, unless I win the LOTTO :)

I do think it's a good idea to keep up with doc appts. so that if there is a review, one can show continued disability.

I am enjoying my new baths. My new kitchen countertops and sink are being installed on Thurs. My plumber is hooking it up on Fri. If it weren't for trying not to stress my knee, I would do the plumbing myself. Still, it won't cost much to have it done. What a luxury for someone who usually does half the work.

Thank you all so much for your kind comments and good wishes. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Love, Mikie
  9. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

So happy for you!! Your new bathroom looks GREAT too. So glad things are turning out so well for you. Hope you keep feeling better and so glad that a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

My well wishes and prayers are with you for continued good health.

Love, Erika
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you both for your kind words.

Snog, I did not have a good experience with the people who were supposed to help me find a job on the Ticket To Work program. For someone else, it might be different. As for age, once one is 65, one is no longer qualified for the program. About the only thing I can think of for someone who can work a couple of hours is a home-based business. That way, if one is sick, there is no pressure to show up for work. Most days, I work between four and six hours. I will not work more than six and I won't work more than three days a week. I cannot work past 9:00 in the evening. In exchange, I work weekends and the holidays we are open. Most of my days are only about four hrs. long. Because I am better now, I can pretty much get through a few hours, even on a bad day. Good luck to you.

Erika, thank you for your comments. I did the vanity treatment to both baths and added a bit of updating with towel bars, light fixtures, etc. I love them both so much. Thurs., Lowe's is coming to put in the new quartz kitchen countertops. I'm getting excited about that. I will not be doing any of the work except the tile backsplash. I figure with my knee healing, I had better not try to do any plumbing or heavy carrying. What a luxury!

I really appreciate all the kind comments from everyone who has responded. You guys are the best!

Love, Mikie