Off To Colorado

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I leave for Denver in the morning. Our whole family, including my ex, will get together. It's a good opportunity for my kids to get pics of Andy with my ex and me. It's bitterly cold there right now. I'm glad I got fur-lined everything for the trip. I'll be flying back on Fri., so it will be a short trip. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Peace, healing and love to everyone while I'm gone.

Love, Mikie
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Bundle up! It's -1 right now (10pm) and it's supposed to drop to -13 during the night. Tomorrow it is only going to be a high of 7 to 12 degrees. Brrrr. It is supposed to warm up into the from Tues to Fri, though. Still pretty chilly.

Here's the Channel 9 forecast for the week for the Denver area:

Monday: Mostly sunny and very cold during the morning and early afternoon. High cloud cover will begin to increase in the afternoon from the west. Highs will be from 7 to 12 degrees. It will be slightly warmer in the foothills.

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy with periods of light snow. Total snowfall looks to be around 1 inch. Morning lows will be from 0 to 5 degrees, afternoon highs from 19 to 24 degrees.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny and cool. Morning lows will be from 9 to 14 degrees, afternoon highs from 33 to 38 degrees.

Thursday: Light snow in the morning, becoming partly cloudy in the afternoon. Morning lows will be from 10 to 15 degrees, afternoon highs from 29 to 34 degrees.

Friday: Partly cloudy and cool. Morning lows will be from 13 to 18 degrees, afternoon highs from 35 to 40 degrees.

Mikie, I hope you have a wonderful trip!!

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Stopping in to wish you a Safe Holiday Trip!,,,Have Fun and Stay Warm!,,,,,HUgs!,,,Sis
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

have a great time and enjoy your family.

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the forecast. Sounds like a heat wave is on its way :) It was soooooo cold outside the airport waiting for the car rental shuttle. Four men pushed me out of the way to scramble onto the shuttle. I had the last laugh; I got off the shuttle first and got to the rental desk first. I upgraded from a mid-size car to an AWD Rav IV. I like the way it drives but the ride isn't as smooth as the Highlander. I took I-470 all the way to Santa Fe. The kids live SW of Highland's Ranch in the foothills. Except for slow traffic between I-25 and Santa Fe, it was a fast ride. Love all those tolls on I-470. And I thought we had tolls in FL :)

Thanks again; I appreciate it. Hope you are keeping warm and snug.

Love, Mikie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for your sweet good wishes. Sending my love and prayers.

Love, Mikie
  7. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Hi Mikie - It feels downright summery today (low 30's) compared to yesterday's single digit temps. We set a record of -19 at the airport. I felt like I was back in Wisconsin!

I'm glad you got the better of those rude nimrods who pushed onto the shuttle in front of you. Instant Karma!

E-470 is the only toll road in CO. When you go back to the airport, you can avoid the E-470 tolls by taking C-470 to I-25 to I-225 to I-70. Time-wise it is about the same as E-470 and doesn't cost anything. But DON'T go that route after 3pm. You'll get hung up in rush hour traffic. If you are heading out during rush hour, it is definitely worth it to pay the tolls on E-470 and avoid the traffic gridlock.

You can check out the traffic ahead of time online at any of the major news channels (2, 4, 7, 9, 31).
    Here's a link for the traffic on Ch 4:

You might want to check out the lights at the Botanic gardens near Chatfield. A friend told me they are spectacular. Apparently they didn't decorate this year at the downtown Botanic gardens on York, so they really went all out at their Chatfield location. I think you can pay to see them up close or for the free show, just drive by on C-470 and look south. I know I'd like to see them, too. I live just SE of Highlands Ranch. You can check out their website for more info.

Here is their site:

Hope you are enjoying your trip!

[This Message was Edited on 12/16/2008]
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I used to live here so I know the roads but I got in during rush hour and didn't want to use 225. Normally, I would go I-70 to 225 to I-25 to 470 to Wadsworth or Santa Fe and on out to Roxbury, where the kids live. I was just kidding about the tolls. I knew about them before I decided to use that route. In FL, we have a lot of tolls, especially for bridges and causeways. The bridge over to Sanibel Island is $6 to go over and free to come back.

Shellie told me about the trees when we drove by. They can see the lights from the road. Don't know whether we'll get there or not, but thanks for telling me about it.

Today is our trip up to Boulder, which will take all day. We will likely stop in at The Sink at the CU campus for lunch. I want to take pics of where we grew up and went to school for a scrapbook for Andy.

I think that tomorrow, I'll help Shellie install a new faucet in her kitchen. She could do it by herself but it will be easier with both of us.

Hope you are staying warm and your pipes don't freeze.

Love, Mikie
  9. tonakay

tonakay New Member

How did the rest of your trip go to Colorado? By the way, Merry Christmas Friend, another year has went by!

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Merry Christmas to you, my friend. It's hard to believe I've been coming here almost 8 years now.

The trip was great! We all had a good time and the weather cooperated considering it was so cold. Very little snow and ice. The flight from Atlanta to FL was delayed and when we got to the runway, we had to turn around because of some warning light in the cockpit. It was quickly fixed and we were on our way again. That was the day before the plane slid off the runway in Denver and caught fire. I feel very fortunate. That must have been a horrible experience.

Let's hope the New Year brings us all better health, prosperity, and a lot of happiness.

Love, Mikie
  11. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Hi Mikie!
    I'd seen this post about you making the trip to see your family and freaked out a bit when the news showed the plane catching fire-- I had to come here to see if you'd posted when you were leaving. It's horrible, but I was relieved to know you weren't on it. I'm sure you were a bit shocked!
    In 1992 we'd just got back to CA from NY on a long and stressful flight when we learned a plane crashed into the ocean shortly after take-off. It was the same airport, and same airline and horrible to learn that!

Eight years is a long time! We've all benifited from you in one way or another!
    Take care,
  12. tonakay

tonakay New Member

and I swear I don't know where they went Mikie but I'm glad you had a good time and so happy you got to see your family.... that's what it's all about my friend!

13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For your good wishes. I'm hoping you have a wonderful New Year.

BTW, my cousin was a flight attendant and was scheduled to work one of the flights, the one out of Boston, which was flown into the WTC on 9/11. The supervisor called and told her she had too many hours and that they were sending someone else on that flight. She quit the airline and works in her husband's business now. Talk about your close calls! Still, it's horrible to think about all those who did go down on the planes. We just never know and that's why I'm so glad I got to see my family again.

Love, Mikie
  14. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

So glad to hear that you had a lovely and safe tripp all in all. Yes, those airplane trips can be a little scary when you hear about those terrible accidents. However, there are really very few accidents in comparision to car crashes although there are just so many more people on the planes than in the cars. Also there are so many more car crashes every day but we don't hear about them all since there are not as many people involved in them.

It is wonderful to hear that you got to go and see your family.

15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I appreciate your sweet good wishes. It's always soooo good to be with family. Ours is very close.

I really don't worry about the day-to-day safety of planes. We are a family of pilots, commercial and private. It's just that flying is now such a hassle. It takes the whole day between having to get there so early and go through security and then, lay over for 2 or 3 hrs. in Atlanta. There are no more direct flights between Fort Myers and Denver.

Still, it's worth the bother to see loved ones. Thanks again.

Love, Mikie