Off to France on Saturday

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Going to see my ex-husbands mother who is terminally ill so not a holiday.

Going with my daughter who is fluent in French which always helps as I speak French like a peasant, so I've been told...
    at least I can make myself understood.

Hate the thought of flying, havent been on a plane in three years.

Anyway I'm looking forward to it, bittersweet,havent been over there for 16 years, will enjoy being with my daughter's 'other' family.

[This Message was Edited on 11/27/2006]
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I'm sorry your ex mother-in-law is ill. But how exciting to go to france this time of year.Have a safe trip
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I wish your trip were under better circumstances.

I haven't been to Europe since '89 but I loved it. I don't even speak French as well as a peasant but I tried and the French were so nice to Mom and me just because I was willing to try.

Have a safe trip.

Love, Mikie
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I hope you're trip goes well. Sorry it's not under more enjoyable circumstances. But I hope you can sneak in some visits to a good boulangerie, for some good baguettes, and maybe a patisserie, for an eclair.

I spent the spring of 1986 in Paris, living with a French family and studying French language and literature. It was one of the finest times of my life.

Bring a good book for the long flight!
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

it's not a long flight for me as I'm in UK,Scotland, only a trip across the channel, 2 hours Edinburgh to Paris, then 50 mins in fast train, TGV, up to Lille.

A little scared of flying but will be fine when I'm up in the air. Yikes.

Hope to fit in a boulangerie trip to two, definitely.

6. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi Rosie,good luck with you trip to France on Saturday,esp with the flying.Got your post about St Andrews Day and know what you mean,i forgot about it until i read it in the newspapers this morning.How bad is that,i think we should make a bigger deal about our national day.
    That said,hope you have a safe trip,Paul
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We took one from Paris to Geneva. It was so comfortable and fast. Yahoooooo!

If we had train service here like in Europe, I would happy to give up driving.

I'll never forget the pastries from the little patesserie (sp?) near Les Halls where we were staying. They were to die for. A couple of doors down was some kind of exterminator's store and there was a string of dead rats in the window. That's how good the pasteries were; even dead rats couldn't drive me away. I guess dead rats are better than live ones, especially considering the size of them. We were pretty close to the river.

You've certainly stirred up some wonderful memories. I have to get back to Europe again before I die.

Love, Mikie