Off to the gastro doc today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by maps1, May 3, 2009.

1. maps1

maps1 Member

So many months and so much pain I am finally seeing the gastro doctor today and I am so stressed that he wont find anything but I just can't go on like this.

December was a nightmare and they ended up telling me it was IBS and my gp doc told me to stop going to emergency. I went to see a naturapath and we did get it down to a managable level but $6,500 later I figured I would try the regular docs again.

Now I am taking tylenol 3 every four hours and only managing to make it bearable. I hardly want to breath it is so painful.

I know I have asked this question before but thought I may get some more information.

The pain is constantly just under my left rib high and can increase and decrease in intensity but I also have intense burning in my abdomen (a little like menstral pain - sorry guys) but no cramping, it just gets more and more intense. It is also causing severe middle back pain.

Was hoping someone could give me some idea of questions I can ask as I am so concerned he is just going to send me away.

Also considering not telling him I have cfs and that way he may take me more seriously, any thoughts, suggestions would be really appreciated.

2. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

Can I ask what tests you have had done? I had alot of problems in the past year and had alot of testing only for them to find nothing..

I had terrible lower left pain in my abdomen for months, I would call it excruciating and they did ultra sound and colonoscopy and found everything perfect. It finally just disappeared one day.

I also had the burning stomach feeling which I still get time to time. I am on nexium but it seems to have no effect on that.

3. maps1

maps1 Member

Hi: thanks for replying, I had xray, ultrasound and ct scan. Had full bloodwork done by my cfs doc which was very thorough.

Ultra sound:
    diffused heterogeneity
    2.5x2.4x1.7 cm cyst
    0.6cm cyst
    2.5cm isoechoic nodule

Right kidney:
    0.9 cm chogenic

adenomyonatosis and tiny polyp

blood tests
    RDW 15.7 normal up to 14.5
    ESR 26 normal up to 20

Urine test
    Albumin 47 normal max 30
    albumin creatinine ratio 3.1 normal minus 2.8
    c-reactive protein 21 normal max7

H-pylow negative

No idea what any of this means but doc did not seem to see any problems.

thanks and regards
  4. winsomme

winsomme New Member

Have you heard of Dr Chia? He is a Doc that specializes in CFS and researches it as well. He has found signs of a chronic viral infection in the gastrointestinal tract of CFS patients.

in an endoscopy, they take a sample of tissue and send it to his lab where he can analyze it. I'm pretty sure people here have either done this or gone to see him in person.

If you are interested, I would post a separate topic asking about him and I'm sure you will get some responses.

here is an abstract from his studies:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) - also known as Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (CFIDS) and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) is a complex and debilitating illness that affects the brain and multiple body systems. Symptoms include widespread muscle and joint pain, cognitive difficulties, chronic, often severe mental and physical exhaustion and other characteristic symptoms in a previously healthy and active person.

A recent study found VP1, RNA and non-cytopathic viruses in the stomach biopsy specimens of CFS/ME patients with chronic abdominal complaints. A significant subset of CFS/ME patients may have a chronic, disseminated, non-cytolytic form of enteroviral infection, which could be diagnosed by stomach biopsy.

For more information:
    Chia, JKS, Chia, AY;(2008), "Chronic fatigue syndrome is associated with chronic enteroviral infection of the stomach," Journal of Clinical Pathology 2008;61:43-48.

and here is a website about this particular virus:

other than that, I think the main tests that gastro Docs do are endoscopies and colonoscopies to look for anything abnormal.
  5. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

I did have an endoscopy last year when I was having alot of pain/reflux and they took a biopsy of my stomach lining. Nothing was abnormal and eventually everything calmed down.

I have also had ultrasound of just about all my organs and I had some type of swallow test. I drank a little cup of fizzy stuff and that is when they found my hiatial hernia.

I was also tested for gluten intolerance as well as bacterial overgrowth in my stomach, sm intestine and lg intestine. Nothing was found.

Hopefully you can have the endoscopy and maybe they could take a biopsy and find out what the problem might be. Good luck!
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

Do you diarreahea or constipation?

They told my sister for YEARS she had IBS. She finally had a colonoscopy, and they found out she had C DIFF

Her symptoms were daily pain, diarreahea (sp???) and gas

Something to talk to your doc about
  7. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I have the exact same thing...(L) side under rib pain....went to a GI had a colonoscopy and he found nothing. He did dx me with FM and IBS. I have a liver cyst as well but he said they rarely cause pain.

I will be anxious to hear what your doctor says...keep us posted!!

Good Luck,
  8. maps1

maps1 Member

Muscular skeleton pain @*@*@*

My ribs are in pain. When asked what was causing this the reply was "a lot of women your age have this, are you wearing an underwire bra". When asked why the burning abdomen something about pain radiating.

When he asked me about my symptoms (which I described) I told him that it felt like nerve pain not digestive issues. He said I was right and the pain would be coming from the coating covering the rib bones!!. Way to high tech for me - not.

Treatment, hot cold packs, continue with tylenol three or whatever else works and time.

Advice: No more tests and stay away from doctors as much as you can (he was not being sarcastic, which was nice)

Actually I do believe that it is within my ribs as it is so painful cant bear wearing bra, what I don't believe is that once again there is no cause, there is always a cause they just don't know what.

Did read somewhere in my research about some kind of inflamation within the rib cage but don't know where I read it. If anyone knows please let me know.

I really appreciated the responses they certainly gave me some new paths to follow.

9. 3gs

3gs New Member

if i'm not mistaken its chonditrous(misspelled) inflamation of the cartliage .

basically what he said. glad it wasnt something more serious.
  10. deadtired

deadtired Member

Hi, I haven't read any of your earlier posts, but if you are having recurring bouts of diarrehea, along with headache, etc. you are not alone! My husband and I have been dealing with off and on in the last couple of months and in fact we can trace the beginning bout with a trip NY late summer. We saw the doctor then and had many stool samples, nothing showed up. Since then I have come across information on the internet of C-diff; I don't know if we were tested for that and am thinking of looking into that. Apparntly clostsridium-difficicle is becoming a super-bug and often takes control after using antibiotics. Another topic I just discovered on the net is a gastrointestinal flu that has been going around recently lasting several weeks for some people. My husband and I have been reluctant to go back to doctor as the last time revealed nothing. I have been using activia , probiotics, etc . to no avail. I cannot tell if this is something viral or bacterial. I do have headaches and backaches which seem viral in nature. If you find anything that helps you will you please let me know. I also have intense burning following D.
  11. loto

loto Member

I saw a gastro doc also, had upper GI and colonoscopy. He diagnosed me with acid reflux for my upper problems, but found no conclusion for my lower abdomen pain. Anyway, that was a couple of months ago. Now, I find out I may have uterine fibroids, so I'm beginning to wonder if my lower abdomen pains were actually from that. Who knows?? The gastro doc didn't even ask about that though, like to rule it out. Anyway I've had symptoms of these fibroids for quite a while, but just now figured out that's what it is. Don't mean to be nosy, but do you still have all of your female organs? Maybe if the gastro doc can't find anything wrong with your lower abdomen and back pain, you could check on the other????
  12. angeleyesrb07

angeleyesrb07 New Member

Good luck. I see you posted this on 5/4/09, so maybe , you already have help/answers by now. It sounds exactly like how I was hurting and it was my gall bladder. Same pains in the same places, even directly right under the left rib cage. Apparently, the gall bladder effects the pancreas and that is why you are hurtying on that side of the body. I had mine removed. And, I know your gastro doctor will probably suggest the same, but, if I had it to do over again, I would try alternative, natural gall bladder cleansing instead. Because, now, certain foods I eat still hurt me, even without a gall bladder. I have times when I have to go to the restroom for a bowel movement immediately and if I do not, I will go in my pants. Also, they say the cleanse really works. And, we actually have stones in our liver,too and it removes them as well.
    Anyway, good luck. Hope you got your answers and are feeling much better by now.
  13. angeleyesrb07

angeleyesrb07 New Member

Please, do not take too much tylenol. Read up on it. It is very dangerous and damaging to the liver and stomach lining if you continually use it or take it.
  14. loto

loto Member

and come to find out i have acid reflux that was causing all of the things you mentioned.
    I didn't think the acid reflux would've caused the lower stuff, but apparently it did, because taking the prescription prilosec helped me with it all.
    Have you had an upper and lower GI yet????
    I went through all of the tests, even a ct scan of my whole stomach region, including gallbladder.