Off topic but Grease on wood cupboards!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Aug 16, 2005.

1. My husband fries and lets the darn grease splatter on my wood cupboards, now I can't get it off. Any suggestions? I have tried Dawn Detergent, wood cleaner, murphys oil soap. And it's still there.grrrrr!
  2. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I was going to suggest Murphys Oil Soap but I see you have tried that.

Vinegar cuts grease and those Mr. Clean erasers might work.

Good luck from Denamay
    [This Message was Edited on 08/16/2005]
  3. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

I have tried Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser. You must WET it before you use it. It is like Magic. I have cleaned my wooden cabinets, my walls, my stove, almost everything. It is truly a great product. The sponge like item disintegrates as you use it. It has worked where many other products have failed. Check it OUT!
    Cindy
  4. libra55

libra55 New Member

A wonderful product if I do say.

My husband WRITES ON THE WALLS (isnt that just awful, so sad but true) and that eraser just took everything off.

He's also a grease cooker, I can't stand it after he's been in the kitchen.

I can relate.

Michelle
  5. I will try the Mr. clean eraser first. It gets so frustrating, it looks like I don't clean my kitchen!
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Wear gloves and wash your hands when using these little eraser sponges.

Love, Mikie
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

then you won't be able to take the smell either. Not everyone is as sensitive, but I'd be sick for days w/ the lingering smell.

The best grease cutter I know is Sunlight dishsoap, the old plain Jane one w/out the funky new (toxic scents) or antibacterial (super toxic and can cause resistant bacteria, just like overuse of abx). Sunlight won't work alone for that, so I use a bit of baking soda, or Borax is usually best. They both have grit at first when sprinkled on a wet cloth, but it quickly dissolves and won't scratch paint or any surfaces.

I'm sure it's not as effortless as a magic sponge, but it works for me and does'nt make me sick.

Jeanne
  8. BethM

BethM New Member

Has anyone tried other brands of the magic sponge? I've only bought Mr. Clean, but I know there are others out there, even store brands (Target) now.

If you've used them do they work as well? Using one almost makes cleaning fun. Almost...

Beth.
  9. bozey

bozey New Member

The Mr Clean sponge is great for lots of stuff. I love it. Gets scuff marks off the floor quickly too.
  10. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

These things sound great. Could I ask someone how many or if they come one to a package please?
  11. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I use "Almond Glo Wood Cleaner and Polish" It works like magic! It cleans and polishes all in one step. And it smells delicious too. I would still wear rubber gloves if you have MCS. Ventilate your kitchen well b/c odors cause problems also.
    Shirley
  12. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

one caution on the eraser, it scratches. You would not notice on your cabinets and some other things, but it is apparently some type of super fine abrasive. It does work like magic, but I noticed when I used it on my counter, it left tiny scratches. It was not that noticable on mine, but you ought to take care with it.

Sonya
  13. libra55

libra55 New Member

The answer is there are 2 to a package. It does not last long. The sponge disintegrates the more you use it. Just to get hubby's graffiti off the walls took me both sponges to accomplish.

Michelle
  14. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Hi Butterfly,
    I just got a Shark Steamer and am finding new uses for it all the time. I'm not sure if you could use it on your wood cupboards...do they have a finish on them, or paint?

My wood kitchen cupboards are painted. I used the steamer on them for general clean-up and it worked great.

It took the grease off of the hood over the stove, and cleaned the stove top well, and easily.

I think if I were using the steamer to tackle your job I would use the pointy attachment for the most steam pressure, then use the soapy stuff people here have recommended. The steamer loosens everything, but you may need the soap to cut it, and wipe off.

Good luck.
    Hopeful4
  15. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

I use it to get the grease of clothes, stove top, oven-fan, AND cupboard doors. Wonderful stuff.

S.
  16. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

So there are two to a package. I will add this to my grocery list for tomorrow then!