official diagnosis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gymmbabe, Jun 10, 2006.

1. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

hello all,

I finally saw the rheumy...he diagnosed with fm (what a painful exam). He gave me cymbalta and ultram to try. I have to go back in 2 weeks for follow-up appt. I haven't visited the board much..been a bad week. I hope the new meds help.

Take care,
    Dawn
  2. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

So sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with FM. I know what you mean about the painful exam! Whew!

If you are like most of us, you are glad to get a formal diagnosis.

I really hope the meds he prescribed you work well. It seems to be a trial and error approach as each one of us responds different to each med!

Good luck sweetie, and keep using this board for support!

Gentle Hugs,
    CockatooMom
  3. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

Thanks for the replies. It has taken me so many tests, xrays, MRI's, etc to get to this point. On one hand I'm glad to learn that I'm not crazy and in the other, sad because there is no cure. I am so glad to have found this board and look forward to sharing stories, good and bad.

Dawn
  4. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Sorry to hear that you are an "official" fibrogal too. I just got my diagnosis this week too. It was a relief to have my symtpoms validated, but depressing to know this will be a life-long journey. I'm sure you understand.

By the way, I just started Ultram this week too and it really has helped me quite a bit. I have cut WAY back on my use of narcotics. Hope you have the same results.

I don't know anything about Cymbalta.

God bless.

Julie
  5. azbubba

azbubba New Member

Another welcome from a newbie here...

I have been on cymbalta for a while on the recommendation of a friend of a friend...seems to be helping me somewhat, but I've also noticed an increase in pain lately too. I haven't tried ultram yet; he gave me darvocet for my first painkillers.

Good luck on your journey...hopefully we can learn something from each other on how to deal with this monster.

Bubba

PS: Am I an official 'fibroguy'? lol
  6. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

Thanks all...I am determined not to let this dx control my life. I just have to learn my limitations and listen to my body a little better. I really overworked it last week. Between my painful examination, volunteering to work at the Big & Rich concert, and physical therapy...I was done! I was in bed for 2 days straight. Feeling better and ready to take on the pile of laundry just waiting for me.
  7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Reading your post reminded me of my visit to a new doctor a couple of weeks ago. She really knew how to hone in on the trigger points. I cried like a baby. I couldn't help it. It was so painful. If I ever needed validation that I truly have this disease, that exam proved it.

I read your profile and I see that you are an active mom. I hope that you are training your children to do things for themselves and for you, as well. Sometimes we try to protect our children so that their lives will not be disrupted and so they can have happy and "normal" childhoods. I think it helps children develop character when they have responsibilities and they see that life is not always pleasant, however, they can survive and even thrive in the face of difficulties.

You need all the help you can get. One of the problems with our illnesses is that our loved ones and friends see us pushing ourselves and they think that we are capable of doing everything we used to do. It has helped me enormously to let my husband see me spend time in bed, if necessary and let the housework and the cooking go. In other words, I am sick and I act that way.

Just giving a little advice from my personal experience. I wish you the best. Keep coming back here when you can, Dawn. There is a lot of support here.

Blessings,

Lolalee
  8. dleaning

dleaning New Member

Hi Dawn,

Welcome aboard!!! Yeah, as everyone else has said, sorry you were dx with this!!

I am on Cymbalta too and it has worked great so far. I also just started taking Zanaflex which has been good too!

Have you been suffering a long time with this?

Hugs,
    Dawn
    [This Message was Edited on 06/15/2006]
  9. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

Wow...thank you so much for all of the information. I will definately check them out. I am bound and determined not to let this awful diagnosis win!

Thanks again,
    Dawn
  10. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

Thanks Dawn. I'm not sure exactly how long I've had this crazy dx. However, things went downhill fast in October 2005. Since then its been a wild roller coaster ride. A lot more bad days than good. The Cymbalta seems to be working OK so far. I have a follow-up appointment on the 23rd of this month.

Look forward to getting to know you better.

Dawn
  11. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

Hayley,

I had a sleep study done last month. No apnea was found. I still suffer from insomnia something terrible. Sorry this is short...i woke up with a horrible headache today. Going to be a narcotic day!

Dawn
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

.... I guess. Like when I was diagnosed with CFS, it's a mixed bag, isn't it? I was estatic to find the cause of my fatigue until I realized that I was still sick. Same with my dx. of FM.

Haley, when I went to the the website you suggested, I got some telephone company. What did I do wrong? Yes, I tried it twice. ;>)

Marta
  13. dleaning

dleaning New Member

Dawn...

Looking forward to getting to know you too!!

Keep us posted on how you are doing. I'll be on vacation starting tomorrow and will return next Saturday. I'll check back then to see any new posts.

Good luck on the Cymbalta and Ultram. I hope they work for you!!

Dawn