Official Study re Neurotin (Gabapentin) in Treatment of Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Mar 30, 2007.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Gabapentin in the treatment of fibromyalgia: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial.

JA, Bishop F, Stanford KE, Hess EV, Hudson JI.

University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio.

PMID: 17393438

OBJECTIVE:
    To assess the efficacy and safety of Gabapentin (Brand Name: Neurotin) in patients with fibromyalgia.

METHODS:
    A 12-week, randomized, double-blind study was designed to compare gabapentin (1,200-2,400 mg/day) (n = 75 patients) with placebo (n = 75 patients) for efficacy and safety in treating pain associated with fibromyalgia. The primary outcome measure was the Brief Pain Inventory (BPI) average pain severity score (range 0-10, where 0 = no pain and 10 = pain as bad as you can imagine). Response to treatment was defined as a reduction of >/=30% in this score. The primary analysis of efficacy for continuous variables was a longitudinal analysis of the intent-to-treat sample, with treatment-by-time interaction as the measure of effect.

RESULTS:
    Gabapentin-treated patients displayed a significantly greater improvement in the BPI average pain severity score (P = 0.015; estimated difference between groups at week 12 = -0.92 [95% confidence interval -1.75, -0.71]). A significantly greater proportion of gabapentin-treated patients compared with placebo-treated patients achieved response at end point (51% versus 31%; P = 0.014). Gabapentin compared with placebo also significantly improved the BPI average pain interference score, the
    Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire total score, the Clinical Global Impression of Severity, the Patient Global Impression of Improvement, the Medical Outcomes Study (MOS) Sleep Problems Index, and the MOS Short Form 36 vitality score, but not the mean tender point pain threshold or the
    Montgomery Asberg Depression Rating Scale. Gabapentin was generally well tolerated.

CONCLUSION:
    Gabapentin (1,200-2,400 mg/day) is safe and efficacious for the treatment of pain and other symptoms associated with fibromyalgia.

Arnold LM, Goldenberg DL, Stanford SB, Lalonde JK, Sandhu HS, Keck PE Jr, Welge

2. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I gained 110lbs on neurontin 9 years ago.
    Epilepsy meds for FM?
    Anyone seen the ads (East Coast) for classaction lawsuits on Neurontin damage?
    Wouldnt touch it if they paid me to take it.
  3. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

I take 900mg of Neurontin a day so thank you for the information!!!

Didoe, I’m on the East Coast but I haven’t heard anything about the class action lawsuits. What are they saying?

I’ve gained weight on it too & I hate when people mention my weight gain!!! I just want to yell out "It's because of my medicine!!! What do you want me to do???"
  4. jmq

jmq New Member

I tried it too but it got me sooooo high it was crazy. I would burst into my bosses office LMAO for no reason! Also thought I-95 was a roller coaster when driving to work. I did not have a chance to gain weight..had to stop it. Did not get any relief from the pain but felt real happy!?

jmq
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

As with any medication, Gabapentin affects people in different ways.

Those given this medication for 'off uses' have had many problems with it and weight gain is only one of them.

It can cause hallucinations both audio and visual and many have had severe problems with it, therefore the class action lawsuit.

Many (including my daughter) have been given this medication for psychiatric reasons with devastating results.

Just be careful...There are no completely 'Safe' medications.

Hugs,

Nancy B