"Officially" Disabled and on SSD - need help finding help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ChristineInPA, Jan 24, 2007.

1. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

I finally won my case with SS in June '06.

My apartment has become a hovel of squalor. I just cannot keep up with the cleaning, laundry, etc. and I am ashamed to say that it looks like one of those places you see on TV.

I have tried to do things in 5 or 10 minute increments and I end up with severe back pain.

I need help. Is the something out there for folks like us, other than Merry Maids? I thought I could keep up but I can't and now I am living in clutter and filth.

Any advice and/or personal experience would be so appreciated.

Oh, and I'm in Berks County, PA.

Thanks,
    Christine
    [This Message was Edited on 01/24/2007]
  2. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Honestly if it was me i would find a laundry mat that does the laundry for you. i know there are acouple of those in town for me. they wash, dry, fold and then put in a bag. the price is determined by how much the clothes weight. Now if you can afford that get some one to clean up the clutter of the house. Look in your paper for private practices cause i think they are cheaper. This way your clothes are done and all you have to do is put them away and the clutter is picked up which then makes it easier to stay on top of it. Like i said if i could afford it right now that is what i would do. Just my opinion though.....SueF
  3. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

I would really need someone to come here and take the laundry to the laundromat.

I am on SS Disability and am wondering who I can contact to see if they will help?

If anyone has a link, please provide.

Thanks a bunch!
    Christine
  4. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Have you checked in to any social service agencies or do you not qualify? If your income is too high I think getting a maid service is really the only way to go. I did find a govt. website for your state I don't know if they can help or not:

https://www.humanservices.state.pa.us/compass/PGM/ASP/SC001.asp

I also see in your profile that you are married, can your husband not help around the house some? Even if he just helped pick up a bit for the maid service it might save you money because it would take them less time.

Good luck I know how hard it is to live in a messy house.

Shar
  5. amkaawa

amkaawa New Member

I am in the same situation & while I was in the 2-year process of filing for disability (just had my hearing last week, yippee!) I checked with the local crisis line & they had tons of helpful advice - and were patient & sympathetic unlike a lot of gov. agencies. Churches, townships, etc are all also good places to check. Maybe you would qualify for some hospice time; they can assist you with washing your hair, getting dressed, & some household chores. I know it is so hard to make the phone calls some days. I try to put anything I use away immediately or my house is a hovel as well. I also try to surround my bed with the things I need: phone, computer, medicines, easy (healthy) munchies. Make your life as simple as possible: paper plates, hand vac, fewer clothes, no-shower shampoo (I found at local pharmacy works well), my pharmacy delivers, my library will deliver. Its taken me two years to learn all the ways to get help, but just keep looking!! Best to you....
  6. enjoysue

enjoysue New Member

Not to my knowledge if you mean for free or low cost. Medicare doesn't cover stuff. I'm sure each state is different as to what Social services might pay for.

Perhaps you can contact a volunteer service in your area or your church? If you don't have a church look for an outreach church to help. Is there someone you know who would trade services for you? Is there a talent you have that you could trade for? Just an idea I thought I'd toss in there.

The general public thinks there is help for people like us but there really isn't. I'm in bad shape too and I don't know what the heck to do. I had someone come in to clean for $45 and it was supposed to be for 1 1/2 hours and it took her all of 20 minutes and she didn't even do things like vacuum around the baseboards or anything. I want to look for someone else but the $$$ is keeping from doing that but I don't have an option.

If you are on rent assistance you would be able to use that as one of your medical deductions I was told. I wish I could be of more help. I hope you can find some help.
  7. IsnotButter

IsnotButter New Member

I have tried different approaches to deal with the house cleaning issue. Some of them, costly and borderline illegal.I got over the fear of bringing unknown people into my house. I went to the 7-11 and picked up a hispanic guy to do the heavy stuff. Example:dig holes for new rose bushes,cut the grass,scrub the bath tub,remove the carpet, clean ceiling fans, etc. I had a friend with me when they are in the house.I find that must of these people are honest, hard working and grateful of having the opportunity to make some money.With time, I have collected names and telephone numbers of who to call, depending on what I need done. I also posted an ad at the Community College. Found two foreign students that scrub my kitchen cabinets and help me with whatever is needed: change the bed, wash the dishes, organize closets.Sometimes I pay,sometimes they work in exchange me proofing their school work, teaching them how to drive, making calls for them,even helpiing them to study,etc.They let me know what they like/need and so do I. Last week I treated them to dinner in a restaurant,just to say thank you. I pour cleaning liquids in the toilets, sinks & bathtubs to facilitate cleaning when no one is available. I use a broom to clean the tub so I do not have to bend, I try to keep things organized so I do not have to pick up after myself. I do what I can and no longer stress about dirt. Sooner or later it will get cleaned.
  8. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Before 2000 when I got sick I could do most everything, even mowing the lawn with a push mower then raking the cuttings into the compost pile. Can't imagine even raking now, let alone mowing. Gave the mower away 2 years ago, it was a symbol that almost broke my heart, kind of like formally acknowledging that that's a part of my life that is gone & not coming back.

We have a woman who comes in once a month when we have the money. She stays about 1.5 - 2 hours & does things we cannot. She is such an essential part of life. I don't know what I'd do without her help.

If I do laundry, that is all I do in a day. Can't manage more due being wiped out & the pain involved. But laundry is something I see as essential to keep up with. Cleaning & dusting is not (at least to my eyes & nose). That's a choice I make for pacing my days. We all make concessions...
    [This Message was Edited on 01/24/2007]