Officially Unemployed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scrapkat, Sep 16, 2003.

1. scrapkat

scrapkat New Member

Yikes! This morning was my return date to work from the medical leave I've been on the last 4 months - except that when I went in, I resigned. I am now officially unemployed. I know it will be much better for me healthwise and I have a very supportive DH and family but I still feel guilty that I won't be helping out. We also have an online scrapbook store that I help with when I feel good - it's actually in DH's name. Maybe it's just weird because I've been working since I was 15. I filed for my disability in July so now I'm on the waiting game end of that. Even with the guilty feelings I do feel that a huge load has been lifted off my shoulders. Thanks for listening - I just wanted to share my good news.

scrapkat
  2. nktigger99

nktigger99 New Member

Hello!

I read your post with envy. I work full-time and it really does me in. Right now I can't leave my job but I hope to sometime in the future. Don't look at it as giving up or being lazy. Look at it as being strong enough to make a life change for the better. You are doing something to make your life better. You will be able to use your energy to spend time on your family or doing things you truely love instead of putting your energy into a job that is hurting you in the end. You have made a decsion to be proud of not to feel guilty of.

Nichole

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You will probably feel much better and be better able to take care of yourself now that you are not working outside the home. I have not worked for 2 1/2 years and it has allowed me to heal to the point that I will soon be returning to work.

Wishing you good health.

Love, Mikie
  4. scrapkat

scrapkat New Member

I do think the not working will be a huge help to my well being. Even though I've been on leave for 4 months, I still had that stress of being at their mercy. Now I no longer have to answer to them. And since my DH is very understaning about fibro - I won't have to worry about the house or laundy or whatever if it's a bad day. I know the extra sleeping has helped tremendously this summer. I appreciate all the support here and so glad I found this board. With this hurdle down, I just have the one left (disability approval). I know that is out of my hands for the time being so I am going to focus on each day by itself. Thanks again.

scrapkat
  5. edandbuba

edandbuba New Member

Hi Scrapkat, I two made the decision to finally think about my health and the way I feel. I came out of work in June and filed for disability then with Fibro and depression. SO, obviously I am on the waiting end also. I havent officially given up my employment status because i worked for the school system and had many many sick days acrewed. I am still able to get a check until December. Hopefully, with six months being up by then I will hear of the ssd decision on my claim. Best of luck to you and cheers for making that bold move to change your life !!!! Preston
  6. scrapkat

scrapkat New Member

Hopefully we'll both hear something and have it be positive. Although I'm not getting my hopes up yet. That's great that you've come to that decision too. It sure was a hard one but like I told them this morning, only I can look out for my health, because I know they don't care and it will just be another number to fill when I leave. Keep us posted!

scrapkat!
  7. jan5473

jan5473 New Member

Scrapkat, Good for you. You will feel so much better now that you can take care of yourself and maybe have time to enjoy some things you want to do for yourself. I left work in July and am waiting on SSDI. I haven't resigned yet, but will by the end of the year. I have a supporting and understanding family and that really makes it so much easier. Take care. Jan
  8. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I worked full time 9months out of the year- School bus driver. I gave up my contract this year. The early morning hours and split shift were killing me! I now am on a sub list and have requested that they call ONLY in the afternoon. I work when I can and say NO when I am not having a good day. No more 5:30am clock in! We can do only so much and our bodys litterly shut down. Sure, I feel guilty but have a very supportive hubby.
    Judy
  9. fibrotigger

fibrotigger New Member

I know it seems weird to congratulate someone for quitting their job, but I also know what a hard decision that can be. I made mine about 5 years ago and got my disability in 1999. It has made a world of difference. At first I felt VERY guilty, feeling like I wasn't contributing to the "cause", but eventually that passed. I, too, have a very supportive DH and that helped tremendously. It is so important that we learn how to take care of ourselves. I'm really glad you were able to do this for yourself.

Gentle hugs,
    fibrotigger
  10. DarleneWSerrano

DarleneWSerrano New Member

Congradulations.

I too, threw in the towel in May of this year and immediately filed for SSD. I gave up when I tried for about six months to hide my condition (as I have been the first layed off in the past due to my medical) When this last job found out, they indicated that I should have disclosed the information prior to accepting employment. And by the way, if you wish to keep your job, you will need to increase your hours or reduce them 5 hrs a week and loose your medical. I walked. I was in a flare and I can't seem to control my emotions during a flare. I am receiving unemployment (they ruled I was forced out), but that runs out in Nov. My Attorney indicates it will take about year and half to get approved for SSD. So I guess we will be tightening our belts more than normal soon. But we have had to do that many times before. Good Luck.

Darlene

[ advertisement ]