Oh crimony......BLOOD in urine?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sleepyinlalaland, Apr 18, 2007.

1. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

whoa, this came outta nowhere.

This started just this afternoon and has me freaked out. Several times I felt an immediate need to urinate, went to the potty, began to urinate...and a quick couple seconds later, the stream STOPPED, leaving me with a buring sensation and of course, the frustration of feeling pressure of unemptied bladder.

This happened about four times, when at last I noticed the the TP I'd wiped with was pink! I looked in the lou and pink stuff there too!

Well, I just spent a fun hour googling and of course am aware of worst-case scenario (cancer), but see there are many other possibilities. Anyone else ever experience this?...the blood, and burning and inability to empty fully?

oh vey, I so didn't need this complication right now.
  2. sleepyinlalaland

Of course I was definitely going to see my doctor, but I think that Thursday is her day off. Do you think this necessitates an ER visit?
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

It happened to me two years ago, it was kidney gravel. It is scary, but go see or call your doctor.

Its fine now, but its best to go see what is wrong to be sure its not something else.

Take care,

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Reidsbeads

Reidsbeads New Member

It could be a kidney stone it could be a UTI it could be a
    kidney infecton. If your urinating so much that it is showing up when you wipe and it fills the toilet w/blood
    Then go to the dr or hospital now. I tried to read your bio but nothing on there, I am assuming that your a woman could it be your period? This is a definate emergency so go to hospital. If you dont want to go then some hospitals have a nurse call thing where you can call anytime day or night and ask them what they think. Or even try calling their emergency room.

If you cant call the hospital and just ask the er nurse or something then yes you should go to the er immediatly.
    This is not a good place to be having problems like this. Hopefully its just a UTI but with that much blood you should have had other symtoms that you noticed before it got this bad. I had kidney stones that actually hurt
    like hell in my lower back and side when they started trying to pass. Only a little blood, but mine were small. I had a kidney infection which did have more blood.
    Ya dont want to mess with this just get to the hosp. and let them do what they need to do. GOOD LUCK Hun. Tam
    [This Message was Edited on 04/19/2007]
  5. lynnintn

lynnintn New Member

Same thing here!
    I am going to my PCP today for more Lupus labwork and developed the same symptoms 3 days ago- I almost peed in my pants at Kroger-it was such an urgent feeling I had to get a guy to watch my buggy. I am sure he thought I was nuts!

I have been having burning, especially when I am almost done and then I have pink-colored urine. And am going almost every hour. I am an RN and don't think you need to go to the ER unless you are having flank pain and a fever or a lot of red urine. I would just go to my PCP and let them do a urinalysis and culture. They will put you on antibiotics and tell you to drink a lot of water. And cranberry juice really does help. I have worked with spinal cord injured patients for years and they are VERY prone to UTIs and most drink cranberry juice or take a cranberry juice supplement every day. Also, don't drink sodas right now.
    Lynn In TN
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I can't tell you how many times I've had this as well as always having blood show up in urinalyses. I don't say this to suggest there's nothing you need to do, just to help with the panicky feeling I know you have.

Call your doctor and make sure this is her day off, if you haven't already. If it is, and you're not that uncomfortable!, call again tomorrow and go in then. If you're very uncomfortable either physically or mentally, go to an urgent care facility. They'll see you quicker than an ER and will be able to help you.

Good luck. I'm sure, considering the sudden onset, you'll be just fine with treatment. Must be the season! Oh, and cranberry extract which is what I use, from the health food store, may help you too, along with a lot of water. NOT cranberry juice which contains sugar.

Marta

Oh, Jeez, now I see this was yesteday's post. Well, I hope everything went well for you. Let us know, OK?

7. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I have had two episodes like what you described.Not knowing what it was on both occassions went to the ER.For me there was no tell tale sign of blood.I thought my back had gone out.I was in terrible pain and could hardly move bend or turn.But the give away was the ole,gotta go gotta go pee thing and Id have to sit and wait for a few minutes for a stream to start even though it seemed I couldn't hold it.
    So now I am learning the signs of the ole UTI devil,plus I drink cranberry juice daily.
  8. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

It could be a simple bladder infection or a kidney infection. If you have a fever with it, I would go somewhere and get on an antibiotic quickly.

Symptoms
    There are a number of symptoms associated with UTIs. Bladder infections are characterized by an urgent desire to empty the bladder. Symptoms include frequent urination, burning or pain during urination (dysuria), bladder spasms and the feeling of having to urinate even though little or no urine actually comes out. In some cases, you may have cloudy, bloody or foul-smelling urine, and maybe a mild fever.

A kidney infection may involve more serious symptoms, including fever, chills, and nausea. There may also be cloudy or bloody urine, abdominal pain and burning, and frequent urination. Most people with kidney infections also experience back pain just above the waist.

If you have any symptoms of a urinary tract infection, you'll need to go to a health care professional right away. The symptoms won't go away if you ignore them, they'll only become worse. The quicker you begin treatment, the less uncomfortable you will be.

9. sleepyinlalaland

for your input. It is very anxiety-reducing to at least have company in my bewilderment.

Well, turns out my doctor IS in today, and I have an appointment at 11:15. Meanwhile my symptoms have ceased. The first morning's pee had red in it at beginning of stream, clear at end. My next bathroom trip was clear and there is no burning at urethra, nor feeling of incomplete voiding. Other than that localized burning and the discomfort of feeling like there was a blockage (yesterday), I've experienced no pain and have not felt worse than normal. By the way, I'm 60 and had menopause at 50, so no chance it was vaginal blood.

This must be related to an abnormal "pee" day I had a few days ago. One of the real gifts of my menopause was that I no longer suffered with a life-long problem of over-active bladder. I SWEAR I pee'd 4 cups for every 1 cup consumed, and having to get up so often every night made my insomnia SO much more unbearable. Anyway just a few days ago, I experienced a return of one of those pee-all-day (and night) episodes. I thought HOW WEIRD! It made me shy about drinking liquid at all, and I cut way back. That spell passed, but I actually forot to resume a normal intake of fluid, so perhaps that irritated things more. I dunno.....

So, I guess I'll find out SOMETHING today (probably about the beginning of a long series of expensive tests!). I'll report back with the doctor's take on this.

Thank you again for all your caring and information.
  10. Engel

Engel New Member

I have IC and have horrible infections and have never had that happen to me.
  11. sleepyinlalaland

I saw my doctor this morning. I described yesterday's events EXACTLY, and she said it sounded like classic symptoms of a urinary tract infection. I've never heard of blood being involved in an infection either, but evidently it does happen (that's what I learned last night while Googling also).

A urine sample was taken of course, and she said some blood was seen plus lympocytes which also indicated infection. She WAS surprised however that all symptoms are GONE today....clear, unpainful pee. She said urinary infections rarely clear up on their own.

She wrote a Rx for Cipro, and said I could decide myself whether to use it, depending on whether symptoms return. If symptoms DO return, and Cipro doesn't clear it, then she will order additional work-up.

Personally, I think it's just another one of those baffling and completely random inflamations that I am prone to. They come and go completely mysteriously. I have a daughter that is this way also.

So for now, I'm feeling still confused, but less worried. Thanks again all for your valuable opinions.
    SLEEPY!