OH MY GOSH WOW!!! This is what pain relief.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrohugslife, Jan 18, 2006.

1. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

FEELS LIKE! Oh my gosh well I finally got to try a pain reliever. It is so HARD for me to find a doctor that will prescribe pain relievers/killers. They are just so scared that people will get addicted and then come back and sue them, etc. So I have always been prescribed anti-depressants which would help my depression which is great, however almost always never did much for my pain.

The only side effects I am having are that my hands are shaking a bit, and I feel warm but I think it is because the medicine is wearing off.

Well I finally tried Ultram last night and I took it at bedtime thinking it would make me drowsy but it did the opposite by keeping me AWAKE! I think the reason why it kept me awake because my body was experiencing less pain, and that gave my body more energy. So I was awake pretty much last night so I took advantage of it and did some cleaning. Only did some because I am not sure if I will experience more pain by doing too much.

It was just the best feeling to not feel so much pain. I just felt achy but some areas of my body, no pain. Wow it has been 6 years since I felt like this, and I am just 29.

The pain is slowly coming back so I will take my muscle relaxers in a bit. I figure that I will take this med when the pain is just really unbearable/feel like jumping out of a window type of pain.

Nicole
    [This Message was Edited on 01/19/2006]
  2. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

3. beaniej

beaniej New Member

I'm so happy for you that Ultram worked! Unfortunately, Ultram kept me awake at night, too, which worsened my symptoms. Had to go off of it. I hope it continues to work for you.

God bless.

Jane
  4. kch64

kch64 New Member

I just went too has prescribed Ultracet for me. I haven't got it filled yet, but will do it this weekend.

I'm a bit nervous, because I have strange reactions sometimes to medicines, so I will have to start slowly.

Glad you're feeling better with the med.

K.
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

so happy to hear your feeling some relief from ultram!!!
    Its nice huh?? to feel semi normal for a few hrs!!
    and have enough relief to feel like doing something other than laying down.
    I take ultram too. They help but I need 2 of the 50 mgs to get any pain relief at all. I tried 1 and 'no go'
    They do keep me awake too. I can't take them after 5-6 pm. But for daytime,they help.
    Enjoy your 'energy'
    :)
    Hugs
    Tandy
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

...first of all, it is wonderful that you have found something to relieve your pain a bit. It is a great feeling to be free of the burden of pain. I would advise you to take care of yourself and resist the temptation to overdo. You said you did "some" cleaning and that's good. I just know that when I feel a bit better I sometimes try to make up for all the time I have "wasted" and then I end up worse than before because I do too much.

You may already know this, but I thought I'd just give you a little reminder to pace yourself while you enjoy the pain-free time.

Blessings,

Lolalee
  7. jakeg

jakeg New Member

It is great that you have found some releif from the pain. I would suggest not waiting until your ready to jump out a window thought. I did that when I first started taking vicodin and was said I over did it and payed for days. You should take it before the pain gets really bad. I know from past experience on how bad my painlevel will be for the rest of the day by lunch time. If I'm at a pain level 6 or more then I start taking the pain meds you just have to remember not to over do it though or you'll end up paying in the long run.

Jake
  8. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Be careful on an empty stomuch.. I have found I will get nauseus if I don't eat something before I take them.. Glad it's helping!
  9. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

Ultram doesn't do a thing for my pain. Only narcotics take the edge off. But like everyone says when your in a bad flare its hard to get them.
  10. missy38

missy38 New Member

Hi Nicole, I just wanted to tell you what Ultram does in general before you have another sleepless night. I use Ultram just for the daily headaches because it takes Vicodin and Methadone for all other pain. I am on the max. dose of Ultram and I begin my day with it because of it's ability to keep me from being sleepy.I just happen to have a pain doctor who understands the illness very well and knows that the legislation passed some time ago will not allow a doctor to keep a patient in pain.
    Good luck.
    Missy

11. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

I'm glad it worked for you too.
    I am on 2 50's x 4 a day, the highest possible. I should have warned you not to take them so close to bedtime, i'm sorry i didn't tell you that part, i forgot.

It helps for a few to 4 hours for me, i just wish i didn't have to take it 4 times a day, becuase even then, pain breakthroughs often, can't get rid of all the pain, but i'll take the tramodol over nothing at all.

It sometimes makes me jittery too, I get hot & cold, get the awakened feeling, but on my bad days, it doesn't give me energy at all, like today, i just really need to go to bed, but it's only 2:07 pm here and i have 3 kids.

What do yall think, after being on that much ultram fours times a day, i think my next step can only be an opoid, hopefully i can stay on the ultram for a good while longer though.

Plz, read my post about the vitimen & minerals, do they REALLY help??? There was another post about that, but i didn't see it until after i did mine.
  12. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Nicole,

Whoo hoo- it's great to feel semi-normal for a few hours. My advice, like most others is to not overdo it- you will pay- the fibro demons will make sure.

Now that you've found something to help you, you'll just have to use trial and error and figure out the best way for you to get the most benefit out of it.

I take my pain killers during the day because they do give me enough relief to get to work.. I don't take any after 6 becuase I won't sleep well. But, I okay'd it with my doctor to double my dose of muscle relaxers before bed in lieu of another pain killer.

You'll find what works best for you-

Happy for you,
    Sharon
  13. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I am still feeling some relief which is good and I took advantage of the good feeling to stretch my body completely out so that when the meds wear off I will not feel so bad. I did feel some pain coming back and I took my muscle relaxers to relax the muscles.

As for the side effects I did get very hot, shaky, and my heart was racing a little and I know that Ultram/Tramadol is known to be used as an anti-depressant as well, so anything anti-depressant does that to me. I took a small piece of Xanax and the hot sweats, heart racing and shakiness stopped rather quickly.

It did say on the box that it could cause drowsiness and figured that it would make me drowsy LOL.

Sometimes it is hard for me to judge how bad my pain will be, so I will just have to try and see how things go for me before taking it again.

I am on tons of supplements and minerals and those help with other things but not so much with the pain.

I just bought some more new ones yesterday to try out. I will post all that I am taking a little later today. I am a little sleepy right now.

Thanks for your support.

Nicole
  14. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

It's wonderful that you're feeling so much better. I'm going to my Dr. Tuesday, and I'm going to ask if I can try it. I've been taking Tylonel #3 for my pain, but unfortunately it wears off after about 2 hours, and is not strong enough. I want to ask my Dr. for a different type of narcotic, but I'm scared she will think I'm just trying to get pills. I've never asked for anything else, because I've read horrible stories, of so many Dr's accusing fibro. patients of being junkies.So, this medicine just may work. We're happy for you!!
  15. yuckie

yuckie New Member

Ultram has been great for me too. I take 1 50mg tablet twice a day. I also take vicodin for the real bad pain but never together or anywhere around the same time. Each day dictates the need. The ultram keep me awake too and so I never take them after 5pm. Also, I probably need 3 a day but they interfere with napping as well. If there's hope for a nap I'm taking it. I had a friend that tried the ultracet and they made her very sick...migraine, nausea, etc. I'm just glad you found something that works for you. I know what a relief it has been for me.
  16. MsE

MsE New Member

A friend of mine with fibro was put on Ultram. She says she has to use it sparingly because it "hypes" her. She never uses it at bedtime.