Oh no Muscle weakness won't go away

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by droot, Feb 12, 2007.

1. droot

droot New Member

My legs and to some extent my arms are WEAK! This started about a weak ago. I was doing some physical activity (which involved exerting my leg muscles) AND I felt stressed at the same time. From that point on, my legs have been so weak that walking/standing is a real effort. I have exerted my muscles before of course! This was nothing unusual. I'm thinking the stress component may have been the culprit.

You see, stress + activity has worsened my fatigue over the years. I see a parallel with my muslces. Stress + muscle exertion = muscle weakness. Now I fear that some degree of muscle weakness has become a permanent new symptom as it is not going away.

I got a rental wheelchair today and my mom pushed me around outside (in Florida). I felt stupid and depressed. I am 26 and shouldn't be in a friggin' wheelchair, living with my parents, and have no job or life. That's my vent.

Anyways, any advice about the muscles?
  2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Just that dreaded word - pacing. Keep you activity and stress level below what will make you worse. That means if your stress level increases, your activity level must decrease.
  3. Hairymel

Hairymel New Member

I have just started to get terrible weekness. I notice it mostly when driving or when I try to read and hold the book up. ?? Just another fun symptom!
  4. droot

droot New Member

5. msurina1

msurina1 New Member

Happens to me all the time. Just get on a muscle relaxant that you take when you have this happen. This is from not using your legs and exercising.

At Target, I found 1 lb. had weights. I do all kind of upper body excerises while sitting in a chair. Then I put the weights on the floor and roll they back and forth with the sole of my feet.

You need to get a book or a website that show you how to do many wonderful sitting down exercise. There use to be a program on PBS where you did excerise with the ladie. In Tucson, it is no longer her. Perhaps you have it out your way. Your problem is that you are not using your muscles so they hurt and are weak. LOL
  6. msurina1

msurina1 New Member

Happens to me all the time. Just get on a muscle relaxant that you take when you have this happen. This is from not using your legs and exercising.

At Target, I found 1 lb. had weights. I do all kind of upper body excerises while sitting in a chair. Then I put the weights on the floor and roll they back and forth with the sole of my feet.

You need to get a book or a website that show you how to do many wonderful sitting down exercise. There use to be a program on PBS where you did excerise with the ladie. In Tucson, it is no longer her. Perhaps you have it out your way. Your problem is that you are not using your muscles so they hurt and are weak. LOL
  7. msurina1

msurina1 New Member

8. msurina1

msurina1 New Member

9. msurina1

msurina1 New Member

10. Jordane

Jordane New Member

That is something that I am just noticing also.

I find it hard to carry grocery bags.They seem to weigh a ton,and I lose the means to hold them up.

Using my cane is hard too,dont have the strength to hold me up.

Climbing the stairs I swear takes forever.I have to stop and rest on the way up.And its probably only 10 steps.Thats rediculous!

Have any of you had trouble holding a cup,I have to use 2 hands if I am walking with it.Or else the cup could just fall over sideways. Hard on carpets when its tea.:>(

Take Care!!
    Jordane
  11. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

How about a good soaking in the following:

Hot Bath 20 minutes

3 bottles (large) of peroxide
    3 cups of Epsom Salts

This has been posted before, I don't use quite as much but it does help you feel better.

Please take care I hope your strength comes back soon.
  12. woohooo

woohooo New Member

renea, I just want to comment, i love your response! I was laughing at your language....lol....though it sure ain't funny...those muscles and their little cousins...hang in there!
  13. woohooo

woohooo New Member

droot, I feel the same way as you so I understand what you are talking about. I go for physical therapy and the guy tells me to exercise my arms and I say it HURTS to do that! He doesn't seem to understand!
    I lift a jar of salt and my arm aches as though i was lifting a hundred pounds. I lift my arm to get dressed and it aches so badly.
    I have posted in another thread about this. I asked whether exercise will restore strength in them muscles or is it not about exercising...I still don't have all the answers.
    My muscles all over have been zapped of their life-force. Yep, I'm finding out all them places God put muscles into...lol...my tongue, my eyes, my vagina, my heart, it is no laughing matter, yet I laugh at the thought of it. My eyes hurt if the text is not big enough, I can't hold in my urine like I used to, my orgasms are so shallow now it almost doesn't pay to go for them. These are all muscle-related functions and oh yeah I'm finding out all right...
  14. droot

droot New Member

Does this remedy make your muscles stronger? What is the theory behind this?
  15. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

I get this also haven't found any solutions yet either. I dorpprd the salt shaker at the resturant we were at in my soup while trying to put salt in it. my daughters laughred and said don't you think a few sprinkles are enough?

some times laughing help eleive the short cummings we have.

hope you are feeling better soon. some times all we can do is relax and that is a work out in it self.
  16. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I do think that it takes a bit of extra effort...for us to regain our abilities..after we get hit hard with one of the symptoms that seems to have sucked them all away! I am NOT saying..GO EXERCISE and you will be FINE. Not at all..but for many of us..we go thru times where one part or another just doesn't work well...but in time..that symptom leaves us..and it takes some effort to make sure that we don't just give up and stay incapacitated!

It is possible that your doctor may have some wisdom about what you should do. Just use good judgement about what info you hear! I think a lot of how you survive and thrive with these illnesses ..is a good attitude on our part...Even when my legs aren't working...I still try to smile..and laugh..and enjoy my life and family. It does help!
  17. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Droot re your ?: Does this remedy make your muscles stronger? What is the theory behind this?

Someone was talking about giving your legs a rest and I thought the soak might help you to relax.

If you do a search on salts you'll see a good many posts on it.

I know when my back hurts rather than keep on pushing if I give it a rest I seem to bounce back quicker.

Take care

Added notes from other posts:

1. In the Boer and first world war they used epsom salt bandages to help the soldiers pain from muscle and nerve fatigue and severe bruising.

2. epsom salts contain magnesium

3. be sure to shower off afterwards to get salt off of skin

If you have more questions you might do a google search.[This Message was Edited on 02/22/2007]