Oil of Oregano

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Jan 1, 2006.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

I am currently taking Oil of Oregano (North American Brand) for a severe and stubborn candida infection. How much should I take and how often? Does anyone know?

Thanks for any replies.
    Pepper
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

I used caps which provided 150mgs twice a day, but started on just one every other day and then built it up to the recommended dose. I had previously used other alternatives for candida etc so my pathogen load was already lower than it had been.

This proved to be one of the best antimicrobials for me; it helped with more than just the candida. Due to a flare up of sinusits that was triggered by a virus, I've just ordered some to take myself; oregano oil worked better than anything else I tried for my sinuses previously.

A friend could not tolerate his med for a toe nail fungal infection, so I gave him a bottle of oregano oil he could use topically. It worked.

love, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 01/01/2006]
  3. splooofy

splooofy New Member

I tried it for a toe / nail fungal but my lord I smelled all day long. I could hardly stand it and my family hated it. How do you overcome the smell?

Hugs Splooofy
  4. happygranny

happygranny Member

I discovered the power of Oil of Oregano accidentally when I used it on mouth sores. I was putting a few drops a day on the sore on the inside of my lower lip. I don't know for sure how much I used, maybe a total of 5 drops per day. After 4 days I had a serious herx.

This was before I started the ABX treatment for Lyme, but I knew what a herx felt like from my experience with Nystatin and Flucozanole for candidiasis.

My recommendation to you, because you are so sensitive, to start out very slowly - maybe 2-3 drops a day and slowly work your way up.

Good luck {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Jeannie
    [This Message was Edited on 01/02/2006]
  5. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

This was on another site I frequent:

All the guidance I've read has been 1-4 drops 2-3 times daily. More info at http://www.altcancer.com/phyto/oregano_oil.htm (among other sources -- this seems to be a reliable primer, with links to research)

Oregano oil may inhibit absorption of iron, so don't randomly start taking buckets of it.

I haven't read anything that suggests candida can build resistance to oregano oil, for what it's worth.

6. pepper

pepper New Member

Tansy, I am so glad to hear that you have found this so helpful for candida. A big bonus for me would be if it helped sinusitis. This has been a chronic problem for me and I will try to remember this when I feel one coming on. This is new to me!

Smooofy, if you are applying it topically I don't know how you can get around the smell. Maybe you have to go around smelling like a Greek salad until it clears up :)

Happygranny, it never even occurred to me that this stuff would cause me to herx! Maybe that is one reason why I have been feeling so poorly lately.

2 drops of the North American brand contains 60 mg so I guess that isn't too much to start with. I have been taking more and will drop it down immediately to see what happens and gradually work up as Tansy suggests.

Karatelady, I will check out that site. I had no idea about the iron absorption problems. Thank you so much for the info.

This has been a great help. Thanks a lot.
    Pepper
  7. kch64

kch64 New Member

I bought some years ago, but was afraid to try it because it seemed so strong. I never did use it.

Smelling it made me want Pizza (smile)

k.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/02/2006]