Oil Painting question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JaneSmith, Jan 19, 2009.

1. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

Hi Folks,

I am going to start oil painting. I need to know what colors do you mix together to get a linen color? My husband says brown and white.
  2. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Seems that every time I've tried mixing paints, it just ends up muddy grey! Good Luck, mr Bill
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Maybe you could glue a piece of linen to the canvas. Then you'd have a collage.

Are you taking lessons. Do you have a book or a teacher?

Post a picture when you finish.

4. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Rock's solution so obvious, why didn't I think of it:).

Painting talent just eludes me. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the universal grey I always seem to end up with. Best of luck.
    mr Bill

[This Message was Edited on 01/19/2009]
  5. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

Not taking lessons. In my mind I know what I want to paint. I don't think it's going to be too hard. I have these toss pillows with flowers on them that I want pictures to match. I'll paint the pictures, frame them and then it will be like what you can find on HGTV. I was experimenting last night with some small tubes of paint. If you mix brown and white together (a lot of white) you can get the linen color effect. Guess I helped myself!!!!!

I didn't know we can post pictures. It's going to take me awhile to do, however.

Thanks though!

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Can you buy a bottle of paint labled, "Linen"? Does a painter have to be a purest and get the colors only from the primary plus black and white?

7. Juloo

Juloo Member

It would actually be very, very difficult to get all the colors one would normally want from just the three primaries and white/black. Or even the primaries, *secondaries* and white/black.

In every painting class I've taken, the instructor has given a suggested list of paints that will cover the spectrum for the projects the class will cover. So yes, you can mix something approaching a color wheels with five or eight basics, but the mid-hues will not be as pure as if you had purchased the oil paint in those specific hues.

The other problem is that one paint in the blue range (for example) is not equal to another. Historically, paints were made from pigment (minerals) and binder and solvent, so a blue made from indigo would be completely different than one made from cobalt.

Color theory is just that -- color THEORY.

There are books that show how to get certain colors by blending specific oil paints. So that could be a help to someone starting who needs to get a certain range.

Another thing to think about is that unless you are doing abstract art, rarely are objects actually one color -- they are affected by the light. So a piece of fabric draped over a chair might be everything from pale green in one area to almost black in another. This is why artists will typically squeeze out several colors on their palette at once -- because they are constantly blending, blending, blending.

Different artists, based on what pigments were available where and when they were painting, had different palettes. Rembrandt could never have painted the same palette as Matisse.

So if someone is just getting started in painting and is not confident in their ability to mix colors at first, it would be helpful to get a couple of books on basic techniques and paint techniques from the library to get a list of a stripped down palette of colors. I promise -- if they get hooked like me, they'll forever be adding to that with new hues. After a while, favorites will become obvious, and they'll have their own personal 'palette'!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2009]
  8. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

I would use white with a touch of yellow ochre. MAYBE a tiny touch of black (for dulling) or regular yellow...all depending, but basically I think white with some ochre.

Funny you should ask because I'm picking up my paints again, and for days I was trying to produce a particular BRICK color. I was thinking about posing question on this board, then thought maybe I could find an artist forum. No luck. I DID however come up with a brick/terra cotta color I was satisfied with. (red with some green plus brown!)
  9. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

Playing with paints again tonite. Just tested out my "recipe" (above) for a linen-color, and I'd like to emphasize the importance of adding that touch of black to ochre and white. It really tones it down from a yellowish-linen to a taupey one, and to me it is a more true linen color.