Oil Pulling...weird but wonderful

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Diva55, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Oil pulling sounded very off the wall but as others on the board had tried it (search the topics)- I thought I would try it as it's cheap. The side benefits appealed to me.

I got a bottle of organic sesame oil. It really is pretty awful to start with but I have managed to do it every evening but only for about 5 minutes.

I noticed within a couple of days that my teeth are whiter, my tongue is slightly pinker and the skin on my face is much softer!

So even if it doesn't help with anything else these benefits are great!

If you can't stand it, you have the oil for cooking!

2. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

May I ask what this was about? seaseme oil I love it to cook with but whats this about? I missed it, thanks so much.:)
  3. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi
    There are detailed explantions on other posts if you do a search for this on the board.

But basically - buy a good oil like seasme organic. Other people use different oils (see their posts)

Put anything from a teaspoon to a tablespoon in your mouth and swish and pull it between your teeth for 5-20 minutes. As long as you can tolerate it.

Do NOT swallow it. Spit it out in the toilet and rinse your mouth well.

It's a form of detox for the mouth but as I said it has the nice side benefits.

It's very gag making but worth having a go just to see the side benefits!
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

I read about it a little bit and would like to try it.
    I have mouth sores and dry mouth so it just might help that too.
    Can you use any oil? sesame,olive,or sunflower?

Glad your getting some benefits from it
    :)
  5. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi Tandy
    I think I read that organic sesame is the best but I'm not sure where I read that.

Other people have tried coconut oil & olive oil I believe.

Make sure you use a high grade oil - organic, virgin etc.

You may want to search the boards for more advice on oil by putting oil pulling in the search box.

I would say - have fun - But I'll just say try not to gag too much!!
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

It does sound like the ole gag reflex will be tested. LOL :)
    NOT looking forward to that part.
    I'll try to do it for as long as I can.
    15 minutes sounds nightmarish!!
    :)
    uuuugghhh
  7. annaleeb

annaleeb New Member

thanks for taking the time to explain that, think I shall try it :)
  8. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi Dncn
    Thanks for that info on different oils for different toxins - I'll have a google sometime on it!

I found that the gag comes from having the oil on my lips so as soon as it's in my mouth, I wipe my lips.

Then I swish violently to get the saliva mixed up to dilute the oil.

The addition of mouthwash is a good idea.

I have a bit of trouble breathing through my nose so that's why I can't do it for very long. I guess I should do two lots for 5 minutes each.

Yes trust a man to be able to do it for 20 minutes!! Darn showoff!!

Just for the nice skin and whiter teeth will make me continue this - if it detoxes something that's a bonus!

Happy pulling!!
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 04/16/2007</i>]
  9. cct

cct New Member

Questions & Answers

You can go to the Earth Clinic website for questions and answers to the process of oil pulling.

The site mentions that you should make sure that your pH is alkaline before you start oil pulling. The Q & A site tells you how to accomplish this.

The Earth Clinic site also mentions that you should not participate in oil pulling if you have a the flu, a cold, or a sore throat.

The site discusses the effect/advantage of using specific oils for specific conditions. Pepperrmint oil, coconut oil, tea tree oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, and cod liver oil are the oils that are reviewed in the Q & A portion of the site.

A side effect of oil pulling can be constipation.

10. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Hi cct
    Thanks for pointing me to the site - loads of info to trawl through.

I would recommend anyone thinking about doing oil pulling to look at the site to get the most info.

Best wishes
  11. Engel

Engel New Member

would GNC carry these oils? I hate going to the mall (that is where they are) but I do have to go to the mall tomorrow to get my new glasses (finally) and I am going to stop in GNC if you all think they would have it? I also am considering bopping into the bed shop there ...
  12. Diva55

Diva55 New Member

Sorry I live in the UK so don't know specifially about the stores in America.

I got my organic sesame oil in a health shop but I'm sure with the huge ranges you have in your supermarkets & drugstores that a suitable oil should be easy enough to find.
  13. cct

cct New Member

Engel,

Because you have not provided us with any of your profile information (click on "profile" in the upper right hand corner of this page, just under the purple tabs, to get to your bio page), I do not know what area of the country you live in, so I cannot make any specific recommendations for places to buy the best oils.

However, I do agree with Diva55. You would probably have the best luck with a healthfood store that carries food (not just supplements). Oils can get rancid very easily and you do not want to be using rancid oils. Rancid oils will make you very sick.

If you have a Whole Foods in your area or some other healthy grocery store, I would suggest purchasing your oil from them. Or, you can find these oils online through certain suppliers.
  14. deliarose

deliarose New Member

i think this all goes back to biofilms.

Researchers have found that certain ingredients in some oils (oregano oil, ..cavacrol, etc) disrupt the biofilms that protect bacteria.

Google biofilms.. you shld be able to find the studies.
  15. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

I do this about 3-4 times a week. I do feel it detoxifies my body, and seems to be very good for gum health. I usually follow with a clay solution to mop up some of the toxicity drawn into the mouth.

A hope I have is that this remgimen is gradually pulling "sequestered mercury" out of my gums. Lots of information and impressive testimonials out there in cyberspace. Simple, effective and inexpensive; my type of therapy.

Wayne
  16. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Can you teell me more about how you use the clay, & what brand?

and how is the MMS coming? Are you doing any testing to monitor it..? maybe like viral counts or liver function tests or anything?

Cheers
    Delia
  17. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Deliarose,

Check out these posts. The first one is fairly long, but has two sections toward the end that may answer your questions.

<a href="http://www.immunesupport.com/chat/forums/message.cfm?id=1104646&B=FM#1112547">Clay Post #1</a>

<a href="http://www.immunesupport.com/chat/forums/message.cfm?id=1104646&B=FM#1113454">Clay Post #2; NOW brand clay powder</a>

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regarding whether I'm doing any diagnostic testing while doing the MMS, I'm not at this time. I'm sort of looking at this coming year as one of doing extensive testing to get a better idea of what I may all be dealing with. I'll finally be getting a blood draw Monday morning for some Lyme testing.

This past year has been so difficult, it just wasn't possible for me to go in the direction of comprehensive testing. And prior to that, I wasn't nearly as aware of the type of testing I should be doing. This board has given me a lot of possible directions to go in.

Regards, Wayne
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 09/06/2008</i>]
  18. victoria

victoria New Member

interesting subject... I've heard of people saying it helped to detox from taking abx and antivirals.

If it helps to dissolve biofilm, I'm guessing that would be the bad oral bacteria?

Xylitol is something that can help dental caries, btw...

Will have to look more into it - always interested in detoxing methods!

thanks,
    Victoria
  19. victoria

victoria New Member

20. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I may try it, gotta get some organic sesame oil. jam