Oily Skin? Pituitary gland?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ForeverFlaring, Jun 13, 2003.

1. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

As we age our skin is supposed to lose its moisture. I have the opposite problem and am wondering if it is due to this DD or what. My skin is super oily now. its digusting. I thought I got over this stage when puberty ended for me. For 15 years I was fine but just the last few years I have really noticed it. I mean it isnt dripping with grease, but its nasty. Does anyone know if this could be like overproduction of the pituitary gland?

I know the pituitary gland has been cited as a possible problem with this DD and am just curious if anyone else can relate to this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm drying up like an old raisin. I wish someone could tell me what to do. I'm already on Synthroid at the correct dose.

Love, Mikie
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have had the FM for over 20 years, and my skin type has stayed about the same. It is I guess you would call normal. Its not dry but not too oily either.

I have heard others here complain about their skin texture before though.

Could it be your medications? Some do play a big part in the skin.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

I forgot to mention my hair too! I washed it last night before I posted this message. This afternnon when I run my fingers through it, it feels like I have been working at Hooters all night. (Fry cook, not a Hooters girl LOL)

I have been using the same shampoo for about 3 years now. So I know its not my shampoo. I used to use Dove for my baths but that has so much moisture in it, I had to quit. I checked into side effects of my meds and cant seem to see anything about it. I will try to remember to ask my doc but he will probably blow it off.

ANywho I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem.
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

ON the same wavelength with the oily hair. This is going to blow you away, I use Palmolive liquid detergent (diluted, about a teaspoon of Palmolive, to about 10-12 ounces of water) for shampoo, then a full 12 ounces of white vinegar for a rinse.

Sounds nuts, but its the only thing that I can do to get rid of the oil for at least five days. It really does 'cut the grease'.

I have been using this now for 20 years for my hair. I have long hair almost to my waist (see pic. in profile), and I cannot wash it everyday anymore. Its just too hard on my back.

The vinegar smell is gone in about an hour. If you can handle it, just spray a little of your favorite perfume on it when it is still damp, it will smell great.

I have no problem with losing my hair, and the color is fairly good too, I am a faded redhead!

Shalom, Shirl
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I've gone from normal skin,dry hair to oily skin and oily hair!!I'm 40.....this started about 2 yrs ago.(i've had thisFM for 11yrs)I assumed it was homones changing???I have other PMS problems too so I asked my Gyn Dr if I could be starting my change early.He flat out said I could'nt be because i'm too young!!But I've heard many other woman started pre-meno in their early 30's~ So must be I have one of those Drs. that knows it all and ya can't get it thru their thick skull! I'm curious if it has something to do with the pituitary gland? sorry i'm not any help.......but I can relate.
    Take care:)
  7. Demre

Demre New Member

Good question and one I have been asking for quite some time now. It is my face hair and shoulders that drip (litterally) with oil - the rest of my skin is dry, flakey, and quite awfull. I never had stretch marks in my life even after three full term pregnancies, now I am covered with them, my skin is saggy, and ruddy, no tone or elasticity. I have spent hundreds and hundreds on skin care products, nothing helps! My skin has also become very sensitive to most everything and it all gets quite depressing some times. I am seeing a new doctor on Wens. will ask her about possible pituitary/oil problem and let you know what she has to say about it - if anything...
    Demre
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Just wanted to welcome you to the board. Will be waiting to hear what your new doctor has to say about the oily, dry skin problem...

That is unusual.

Again, a big welcome to the board.....................

Shalom, Shirl