OK (drum roll....) the anomoly I spoke about

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PepperGirl52, Jul 14, 2006.

1. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

As some of you know, I had extensive lower back surgery on the 6th of July.

While the surgeon (a well known ortho) was opening up the area to take out some older hardware, he took a really close look and found that I have what is called a 'spinal conduit'. What this means, the best that I can explain, is that where the nerve branch going up the spine should remain intact as once, mine had branched off into two. He said this is a fairly new anomoly that surgeons are just in the past few years recognizing. Most people with this condition have chronic pain, back or hip, and there isn't a lot that is seen on MRI's, etc. Then, eventually, in a few years of so, they will loose feeling in their legs and eventually become paralyzed.

He was so excited-doctors are weird like that!-that he brought in an entire team of students and did an inservice right there, while I was still lying on the table. Think I should send a bill???

I'm so thankful that, if I did have to have this, I also had degeneration that led them to even be back there in the first place!

Yes, I am in incredible pain. Yes, the fibro is aggrivated, and my entire body is just totally pissed off at me right now, but with God's help, and tons of meds, I will get through this!!

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, concerns and the curiosity. Hope this helps at least one person!! Take care. PG
  2. darvick

darvick New Member

Im so sorry you had to go through the surgery, hope your feeling better. That is really interesting. Yes you should bill the doc haha Did he fix the nerve?
    soft hugs
    Darlene
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

hope they all learned something PG, does this mean they can now help you,now they know what it is??????

I hope so.

love
    Rosie
  4. TAM

TAM New Member

HI PEPPERGIRL52,

WOW! I'm new here so this is the first post of yours i ever read but i just had to tell you THAT I WISH YOU WELL AND I HOPE YOU RECOVER SOON.

GEEZ I'm glad they found that in your back before you got to the point of maybe being paralzed. hang in there and i hope you recover soon from your surgery. TAMMY
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i hope so...

jdoie
  6. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

My pain levels were at their peak and I had to make it quick.

But YES, he was able to conjoin the nerve branch and make sure that everything is where it's supposed to be.

For those of you who don't know what I had done, besides the aforementioned: I was fused from L3-end of the sacrum; had old hardware taken out, new hardware installed (rods, cross bar, screws, etc), donor bone from my left hip. I'll be in a semi-hard shell brace for 6 weeks. THANKS! PG
  7. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

You really had some serious surgery. I wish you a speedy recovery. Please take it easy and take care of yourself; you'll recover faster and safer,

BlueSky555
  8. findmind

findmind New Member

My gosh, you are one brave woman.

Bless you for allowing the "in-service": were you awake?????

So glad he found it and tried to get it all together...maybe it will lessen your pain levels now.

So glad you posted. I had just come online and checked my profile and saw that you hadn't answered yet, so went to posts, and there you were!

Thanks so much for letting us know how you are. Rest now, and recover well and fast!

There's always hope!
    findmind
  9. jake123

jake123 New Member

I know how you feel. I went to the dermatologist when my vitiligo started showing up. There were little circles of pale skin surrounding every mole or freckle on my body.

The doctor was excited and had all the nurses in to look. I started crying because I was already upset - he had already told me it would not go away.

Really, some doctors have no idea how some people might feel when they call in an audience.