OK fish eaters...read article on home page about neurotoxin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by achy, Nov 20, 2002.

1. achy

achy New Member

I am in shock after reading about the ciquatera poisoning article on the home page. We have always eaten a lot of fish...at least once a week - it's SUPPOSED to be good for ya.
    GET THIS...I have grouper on the counter thawing for supper! Is that an omen or what??

Have any of you been tested? Wouldn't it be wonderful if it is true? This is curable. I did a search in Google for Ciquatera poisoning. I found a site that listed medications that work...would you believe many of them are MEDs Rx'd for CF?? Amitripteline ring a bell?
    I think I'll talk to my doc & get tested. I am excited, maybe they have finally found a cause/treatment/cure for this awful DISEASE. And maybe we will FINALLY be believed.
    Warm Fuzzies
    Achy
  2. achy

achy New Member

I am in shock after reading about the ciquatera poisoning article on the home page. We have always eaten a lot of fish...at least once a week - it's SUPPOSED to be good for ya.
    GET THIS...I have grouper on the counter thawing for supper! Is that an omen or what??

Have any of you been tested? Wouldn't it be wonderful if it is true? This is curable. I did a search in Google for Ciquatera poisoning. I found a site that listed medications that work...would you believe many of them are MEDs Rx'd for CF?? Amitripteline ring a bell?
    I think I'll talk to my doc & get tested. I am excited, maybe they have finally found a cause/treatment/cure for this awful DISEASE. And maybe we will FINALLY be believed.
    Warm Fuzzies
    Achy
  3. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

I had a doctor who had chronic fatigue syndrome and they took amitriptelin. I thought at the time good for you, you're a doctor you can afford it.
    (Don't you love the part in the article on the home page where the researchers give the governement and medical society heck for mismanagement of this illness.)
    I'll try to find the articles you talk about by typing ciguatera poisoning into google.
    I've eaten seedweed and fish in the past.
    Personally I think the symptoms of CFS may have several causes and it's necessary to sort them out. This does seem like it might be a step forward.

Whoops getting my facts confused. My doctor was taking ampligen. Often confuse words that sound alike.[This Message was Edited on 11/20/2002]
  4. Fibrobeachbum

Fibrobeachbum New Member

You know when we live in fish country like we do we are going to eat alot of fish. I do not eat fish I catch but buy it from the different seafood markets around. Let me know what your doc says.
    Ann
  5. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I have a wonderful, extensive PDF file...on this. Very interesting. I think its about 40 pgs. but worth the read.
    Karen
  6. achy

achy New Member

Knowledge is power IMHO

bring it on
    Thanks
    Achy
  7. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

my email is jkrather@ltex.net

thats a lowercase "L" in front of tex.

Will be happy to send it too you.
    Karen
  8. Trini

Trini New Member

Hi there,

I've recently been tested for this and came out positive at the highest level. I read on a yahoo support group for cfs patients pregnant or trying to get pregnant that Dr. Hokoma isn't sure if this is really showing positive for ciguatera or another toxin released by the liver. Also from what I've read ciguatera is only treatable w/ drug called mannitol if detected in the first two weeks of poisoning. Although I did see a cholesterol lowering drug being used to rid the toxins from fat stores in a study in FL I think. Where did u find a list of treatments?

Trini
  9. epicurean

epicurean New Member

Letting your fish thaw on the counter is a no no!! If it's frozen-thaw it quickly under running cold water.It was an interesting article.