OK, HOW BAD IS YOUR MEMORY?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Please tell me that I am not the only one whose thoughts just vanish into thin air. I am really starting to get nervous. I have no recollection of entire conversations. If someone sends me an email, I have to answer it immediately (which isn't always possible) otherwise I totally forget that I received the email.

I even forget about my friends - I do. I forget to return their phone calls. I rarely initiate a phone call. I used to be able to remember appointments and dates. Now I can't even remember to check the calendar to see if I have a doctor's appointment scheduled. Days just run into days, weeks into weeks and months into months.

My memory is getting just awful and I wonder if anyone else has this problem

Please tell me that I am not alone. Just how bad is it for all of you?

Thanks,

Lolalee

6/14/06 10:47PM CST - Update

I'm adding this to my original post in the hopes that more people will respond. Since memory loss, cognitive dysfunction and spatial disorientation are pretty common for many of us I was wondering if anyone has discussed these problems with their doctor. If so, what is their opinion? Not only am I forgetful and have difficulty finding a word or finishing a sentence, I also get lost easily. I can't tell you how often I am in my car and all of a sudden I don't know where I am. I always get lost when I am returning home from visiting a new location. I can get there pretty well with a map, but coming home I get disoriented.

Once I was coming home alone late at night after a class and I ended up in the parking lot of a strip club. I didn't have a cell phone and I wasn't about to go into the club and ask directions. I got so scared that I just sat in my car and prayed and asked God to please take the wheel and get me home. He did. It was really a miracle that I got home because I had no clue where I was.

This illness is so much worse than most people realize.

Lolalee
    [This Message was Edited on 06/14/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/14/2006]
  2. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

sometimes when i park kinda weird in my drive way , i think did i park like that, and then i cant remember or picture even parking that morning, theres many others

for me i get words mixed up or cant remeber a word when i am trying to express something....i called my son jooky

his name is jonathan(johnny)
  3. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

Wait, what were we talking about? Just kidding!! Seriously, if I'm trying to answer a post on here, I have to literally open a new window where I can flip back and forth between the previous post and what I'm typing. I can't even remember long enough to answer someone. I never innitiate phone calls, but I thought that was just one of my character flaws. I forget to call friends and family back, but they're usually pretty understanding on that account. I can't remember entire conversations when my husband is telling me what days he will be travelling. I finally just gave up and asked him to write them on the calendar because there is no way that I'll ever remember when he's supposed to be gone. I have a hard time dealing with that part of this sometimes. I'm only 40 (in 2 months) and my memory and my mom's are running neck and neck to see who can forget the most, first, I think!! I've gotten to the point that I write almost everything down any more. I think that this is fairly common, but the one thing that drives me crazy more than anything else, is when I'm carrying on a conversation and then completely lose my train of thought right in the middle of it.
  4. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Nope, you're not alone. My memory is getting terrible. Just a little while ago, I went to grocery store to get prescription; got it, walked around looking in store, was headed out to my car and "NO keys", LOL! I DID remember that they must be at the pharmacy because they used my little bonus card on my key chain.

Now, that's just 1 incident. I have many, many more, like another is: I have to write down every time I take a med or I'll forget. Yes, I have the pill thingy but still have to write it down.

Take care,

BlueSky555
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i do that often w/people...what were we talking about...i can not get interrupted at all and keep on track with what i was doing or going to say...

far from before the pre-fibor days..

jodie
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

7. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I can't even tell you how many times a day (cause I can't remember) I go into a room to get or do something, stop at the doorway, and say (out loud) "now what did I come in here for?" and turn around and walk back out.

I am another one that has to say what I need to at one time w/o being interuppted, or I forget my point.

I have post-it notes everywhere or I forget everything.
    But then I lose the note! I'd stick one to my forehead if it would stay put!

I am terribly OCD about locking my keys in the house or my car too. I must check at least 4-5 times..."yes there they are...wait...look again...yes they're there...no wait...I need to hear them jingle...no, not good enough...I need to put my keys in my hand to make sure."
    Ugh!

So don't feel bad...I'm only 37 and can't remember squat!

Love you all!

8. darvick

darvick New Member

My spouse thinks i must have brain damage. not kidding either. My lack of attention,forgetfulness,judgement is just gone! thank god it's not like that every day, but more so than not!! Trying to deal with it the best i can.
    Dar
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I clicked on Reply but now I can't remember what the question was.

Marta
  10. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I am soooo happy I'm in good company.

blessedmom...called your son jooky..lol..I've got my 2 grandsons (ages 7 and 5) visiting me on school vc, I keep calling them honey or sweetie, otherwise I call through the names of my 3 adult sons first by the time I can say their names.

mrsjethro and fibropanda and jodieplace...I'm right there with you on losing my train of thought during a conversation. Heaven forbid if my poor husband interrupts me while I'm speaking, I get so upset because I forget what I was saying and where I was going with my thoughts. He has gotten really good about not interrupting me.

bluesky...my keys are always missing..among other things.

Cockatoo...lol, I know what you mean..if I go to a room to do something or get something, I have to repeat over and over what I am going to do, i.e. get the towel, get the towel, get the towel...it's pathetic.

prickles..oh sweetie, that must have been a little embarrassing.

dar..I have a hard time with judgment and my attention span is non-existent.

marta...whoops!!

honora...sounds like you're having fun!! I guess we have to keep a sense of humor. lol

Thanks all for keeping me company on this wild and wacky ride called Fibro.

Hugs,

Lolalee

11. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

Hey don't forget me. I am just a mess trying to remember stuff. Sometimes it gets scary like when I had to sign in at the doctor and couldn't remember my last name. I had to ask my 3 year old!! Good thing she knew.

Once at a resturant, I forgot how to refill my soda drink. I just stood there for a minute looking dumb. Someone else came up and I watched them and then I knew how to do it!!

Numbers are the worst for me and I actually have a list of my meds and initial them when I take them or else I forget and take it twice or not at all!!

Good luck everyone,
    Dani
  12. 121043

121043 New Member

I don't know if it was memory or brain fog ,but this morning I was fixing a bowl of cereal for my Mother. I opened the refrigerator picked up the jug of tea and poured it in the cereal. Not a very good combination. Thank goodness I realized what I had done before I served it to her.She would have thought I had finally lost it!
    Loretta
  13. mimilove

mimilove New Member

VERY, VERY, VERY BAD!

Husband: "Hi baby, what did yu have for lunch?"
    Me: "Hi baby, I had a bar of butter"

And it just gets worse and worse as the evening progresses. I forget my name, last name (I never use that darn thing anyway), names of things, names of people, how to get places.........everything.

I put my glass and bowl in the trash instead of dishwasher. thank god my appointments are close by...I only stay in one lane as long as I have to, stare straight ahead of me.
    mimi
  14. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I have CFS, not fibro, but....

I forgot my Aunt's name.

I've asked one of my neighbors four times if she's new in the building!

LOL!

Forebearance
  15. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Hun you are NOT alone in this!!!

I swear my brain or whatever it can be called has turned to mush!!!!

Try reading a book and keep starting back at the first.
    I will never get the darn thing read!!!

Almost sat on my glasses,laid them on the couch to go get something,ended somewhere else doing something( sound familiar??) then went to set back down and just about did it.Too close for comfort.

Made a sandwich yesterday or maybe the day before,ohhh one of those days.
    Anyway made it,put it on a nice saucer,
    grabbed a glass off the counter to put some water in,noticed it was not clean,
    Out of the corner of my eye I saw a bird eating in my feeder,I love watching them out there.Casually slipped my dirty glass in the soapy water.And set my saucer with sandwhich on the counter.

Well my dear birds were out of feed,so I went out and put some feed in it.Talked to them( I know,I know)a little.

Then I remembered my lunch I had made. I went to the cupboard and looked all over the counter for my sandwhich,I thought I had made it,right??

Looked over and there was that darn dirty glass.Smack on my forehead,LOL,there was my sandwhich doing the backfloat in my soapy water!!!!

So God Bless that memory!!!

gentle hugzzz,
    Jordane

16. 6cats

6cats New Member

Who are you again? lol I think that says it all for me...
  17. kathyr

kathyr New Member

I tried taking omega-3 fatty acids. They help. I still have trouble remembering names and the right word to use during a conversation, but I haven't forgotten family members' names since I started taking them. Yes, my memory got that bad. I was also told by my family that I was confusing names of things like calling a can opener a toaster and they said I was even sure I was correct when referring to things this way. They thought I was loosing it!
  18. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I could have written your post. That describe me to a T.

The most embarrassing thing I have forgotten (recently) is to pay a bill. I was allowed by a family member to use their credit card. I was paying the bill every month, no problem. Suddenly, they get a phone call from the credit card company. I have missed two payments and didn't even know it. It was not a lack of money, it was a lack of memory.

I am so ashamed and embarrassed to have done this to someone who trusted me so completely.

Linda
  19. UNREAL05

UNREAL05 New Member

Hi Lolalee,

Im so glad Im not alone. I was embarrased to tell someone that I can't rememeber conversations or even simple coments. I tought it was just being tired, but I just realised that alot of other people have this problem in common. I forget alot of things, simple things like going to the store to buy milk and coming out with something else.I even forget what I wore to work the day before.There is days where is really, really bad and as the days pass by it gets worst. But I started to write everything done and have notes everywhere, what ever helps me. So you are not alone.

Take Care, unreal05
  20. sfrazier

sfrazier New Member

Lolalee. you are not along. my kids are starting to get pissy with me cause i will ask them a question and not even ten minutes i'll be asking them the same question and they have gotten good enought to now finish off my sentences for me when i can't remember what i was saying. I keep telling my therapist that there are days that i feel like i should be back in kindergarten. There was one day that i had to ask for times where my calander was and by that fourth time my kids put it right in my hands. lol. they had had enough. lol. Trust me you are so not along. Welcome to fibro fog or at least that is what i hope it is. lol........SueF.