OK....I have had it with these migraines.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doxygirl, Feb 26, 2008.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

My mom has told me for years that she thought that when I was done with menopause that I would stop having migraines......mostly because my migraines proved to be related to my hormonal changes.....

well it has been over a good year now that Iam done with menopause and Iam still having the migraines......Iam also have hot flashes, and like the migrianes they get really bad for a while and then they subside but they always come back.....

my migrianes seemed to be better for a while and now they are worse than ever I have spent about four days this month alone in bed from them and also one entire day in the er from one!

They were giving me dilaudid for my migraine and it was basically like giving me water! it did barely nothing to help with the pain from the migraine....

I guess I have no choice now....... but to try the topomax.....because these migraines are ruining my life....I cannot go on like this......the nausea they bring now for some reason is out of control also......the dr rx'd me compazine and even today when I had one of the worst migraines ever the compazine did nothing to help the nausea......I was fighting throwing up for hours!

Does anyone here find that topomax helps ......I have heard that it really helps and I am at my witts end...I have to have some control over these awful things ......

please write to me and let me know if you take topomax or if you have migraines and what you do for them....

my current medication is zomig and it does help but the problem Iam now facing is that everytime I take the zomig I throw up from it.....this is new,..... it never used to make me throw up?

Thanks for reading...

[This Message was Edited on 02/27/2008]
  2. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

topomax did nto help me at all.The only thing that has helped me is to aborth them with Imitrex injections.Nothign else ever has prevented or helped.For my moderate migraines I can use Amerge.I have just started perimenopause.Hot flashes,night sweats and not on schedule every month.I miss some months now.
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Doxy!
    I take Topamax for tension headaches and my FM. It has helped in both areas. My headaches were getting so bad I couldn't take it - definitely worse when hormones were involved. My doc has migraine patients (daily migraines) who take Top and supplement with Imitrex if necessary (we just had this conversation!)

Had a few side effects for the first 3 weeks, but they have subsided - been on it since first week of Dec. Had a really bad three day headache end of Jan., we did end up upping my dose, but later found out that sometimes you may just get a headache (I thought I would NEVER have one again!!! - that's when my doc told me about her migraine patients). Anyway - if you have any specific questions about Topamax I'll try to answer. As I said, I don't have the classic migraine - but do get headaches so badly, that I'd get sick (didn't vomit)and they were debilitating.

I'm sorry you're suffering so..
  4. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

Do you give yourself the injections?....just wondering if my dr will give them to me to give to myself....can't imagine sitting in either a dr waiting room or an er with as sick as I get with my headaches!! Thank you for your post :)

I do know that topomax does not take the migraines away completly but it is supposed to decrease the amount we have and the severity of them?

Can you tell me your specific side effects...while I realize that everyone is different....I would like to know what "YOUR" side effects are!

To me nothing can be worse than these headaches....I have been a prisoner of them for about 20 years now and I'm really just at the end of trying......I just cannot go on with having them like I do enough is enough!

Thank you so much for your post too :)

5. zoey2006

zoey2006 New Member

I have had migraines since I was 10. The last couple of years I have had prolonged periods whereas I would have them almost daily. After being diagnosed with FM and finding lesions on my brain supposedly form the migraines, I was put on topamax. What a mistake. I got very little relief from the frequency, it did reduce the severity some, but with a cost. I suffered from memory loss, confusion and words would come out I didn't intend to say. One day it got really bad. I was driving to the airport to pick up my husband from Iraq and couldn't understand the directions. These were really simple to! I stopped 5 times and the minute I pulled out of the driveway they were gone. I'd also have to have people repeat things alot. I have a BA in Psy. and have never had these problems before, it was awful. I was told it was the topamax. I hope you have better luck.

I'm sick of my migraines and headaches too. I've had them daily again for about a month. If you find something that works please post. Good luck!!!!
  6. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

I've had menstrual migraines since I was about 30. I, too, was told that they would fade away as I went through menopause. Well, they're not fading at all. I'm not fully through menopause but I still have bouts of the migraines every four weeks. Mine come at 4:00 am and leave me thrashing and crying. I do not have the nausea or aura, just horrible pain in the front of my head. I've tried all sorts of meds and I do all the pressure point stuff.

My ME (or whatever I have) onset followed a full week of migraines. I had just tried Imitrex for the first time and it worked like a charm. However, the next day, I had my onset of symptoms. I don't think I'll ever use Imitrex again. Instead, I use Midrin or a large dose of Tylenol/Advil mixed together. You are so right that they just steal your whole day away. And if you do fight them off, then you're sick from all the meds. Can we not win?

I hate to tell you this, but I got on the net the other day to research menopause and hormonally caused migraines. I found that studies are now showing that they don't go away as once thought. Now that was disappointing!! I'll see if I can find the link for you.

On a completely OT note, did you check out www.dailypuppy.com today? I think you'd like it today. Guess what the puppy is? I start my day on this site as it always gives me a lift. Every single puppy is adorable and adored. You can do a search for your favorite breed and just wallow in cuteness! Make sure you click the line under each puppy to "see more pictures".

That's my hug for you this morning. Take care of yourself and rest.

7. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

doxygirl--Here's some interesting info. The first is a link to a study about using Amerge to prevent migraines. You might want to ask your doctor if he'd let you try that.

And this next quote is from healthandage.com:

"There are two types of hormonally-sensitive migraine sufferers. Those who experience their headaches during estrogen withdrawal (menses; "off days" of oral contraceptive pills; the lowered hormonal levels of menopause), and those whose migraines worsen when estrogen levels are increased (e.g. after starting oral contraceptive pills or post-menopausal hormone supplementation). This hormonal sensitivity may explain why migraine worsens around the time of peri-menopause, when estrogen levels fluctuate and decline.
    Two-thirds of women's migraine improves within a couple of years after menopause, although approximately 10% experience worse headaches and approximately 25% notice no change."

Not the greatest of odds, and as usual, we seem to always get the short end of the stick. Not fair, not fair, not fair.

I googled "post-menopausal migraines" and a lot of stuff came up. You might want to check that out. Just wondering, did you have an especially long peri-menopause? Mine has lasted about 20 years so far. I've always wondered if that has something to do with the migraines. My paternal aunt, who has suffered from migraines for decades, did not go through menopause until she was 67. Mine better get here before that!!!

8. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I also suffer from migraines and after my hysterectomy is 2006 they were suppose to subside. Well, they haven't and this month has also been bad for me as well. I've been tracking all these storms that have been coming into WI and sure enough the drop in barometric pressure is causing them along with some stress.

I use to take Zomig, did you know you can get the Zomig in a meltaway tablet? It really helped me because I did the same thing, throw up right after I took the medicine. This way it is absored before I threw it up. I have a new script for Amerge and that seems to work pretty well for me.

I take Metoclopramide (for nausea) and if that doesn't work I take Promethazine (Fenergan). The Promethazine usually does the trick. I hate COMPAZINE!!! That junk makes me so crabby and makes the migraines worse for me.

I have been begging for Topomax and my migraine dr. just won't give it to me....he doesn't think it will help since most of my pain starts with myofascial pain.

Wow, did you have a script for the Dialudid or did they give that to you in the ER. I can no longer get a script for dialudid (the one thing that would help knock out my migraines) because they said it is a heavy duty narcotic.

Sending you lots of gentle hugs that you can find some relief with your migraines.
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I started with 25 mgs for a week then went up to 50 mgs. I didn't experience any side effects until I went to the 50 mgs. I had little "zings" in my arms and legs - not bad at all - VERY minimal, some tingling in my hands. I did have some memory issues. I would forget words. Nouns really. It was kind of weird. It didn't last too long, maybe 2-3 weeks. It wasn't debilitating by any means but was frustrating at times. Luckily my husband had a good sense of humor as did I. I knew it was a possible side effect.
    It helped me with my upper arm pain and stiffness in the morning. I did not have one headache for the first almost 2 months. Normally I would have several - too many to count. As I mentioned earlier, at the end of January, I had a killer 3 day headache, my regular pain meds did nothing to even touch the pain. My doc gave me another 25 mgs. I didn't have any more headaches, but also didn't feel like I was taking anything at all. We have since upped it to where I am now taking 25 mgs in the morning and 75 mgs at night. It may make you drowsy - it doesn't me.
    For the first time in years, I am sleeping through the night!!!!!!! Yes I still wake up once in a while, maybe twice a week, look at the clock, but nothing like it was before where I was sleeping for 2 hours at a time.

I do still get some tingling in my hands, but my memory is fine, except for the normal 'fogginess'. The other benefit - you may lose a few pounds. What a refreshing thing not to have a medicine that makes you gain weight!
    If you decide to try it, good luck to you - I really hope it helps. Headaches can be so debilitating. I hope you're not one that gets the terrible side effects. You definitely need to go up slowly with the dose.

[This Message was Edited on 02/27/2008]
  10. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I had the same problems; migraines, hot flashes, irritability, and waking up in the morning with nausea.

I used to end up in ER or at drs. office; was given some kind of shot and was driven home, sleeping the remainder of the day away.

Then, I was given zomig. I found out that if I got the 5 mg., broke it in half and lay back, it would finally go away but the zomig,like you, made me rather sickly feeling.

Someone on here mentioned Maxalt so I asked my dr. about it. I was given samples and they work great! No sick feeling, no sleepy feeling. I still break it in half, a little oblong white pill, and watch TV or something to take my mind away from it and then; it's gone.

I now keep Maxalt with me all of the time; everywhere I go.

I also, prior to the Maxalt, took hormone med and a girl at the pharmacy told me to just stop taking it and the hot flashes would go away. I finally stopped the hormone med and after a while, the hot flashes were gone. (It did take quite a long time but better than the med in my opinion.)

I hope that you will get some relief; I feel for you and know exactly what you're going through. It's a terrible pain that just will NOT go away.

Here's a HUG for you, Doxy,

11. mrwilliams

mrwilliams New Member

Sorry, Doxy - didn't help me. I was like you - I was told the same, after a hysterectomy, my migraines should be better. NO.

I finally saw a neurologist who did all kinds of tests and I was diagnosed with classic migraines. I now take a high dose of Verapamil (high blood pressure medication) as a preventive and it works wonders. Instead of 2-3 migraines a week, I have 2-3 a month. I take Maxalt for migraines and if it is a migraine, is gone within 1 hour.

My doctor told me this time of year is bad - with all the lows moving through the midwest. I can time a migraine to go along with weather changes.

The other thing I do are the usual - ice packs, darkness - seem to help. But Topomax did nothing for me.

12. hensue

hensue New Member

new drug take only when you get one. is trex something do not have it with me. He said topamax is a preventive everday then take this new drug. Treximet i am not sure and do not have it with me.
    Right when you start to get one.