ok, i'm going to try to quit the smokes again!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 69mach1, Nov 29, 2005.

1. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i put my nicoderm patch on this morning...i have been sick with a cold now it is going to my upper lung area....

ihad pnumonia in feb...i have athsma which came before the smoking,,i was stupid and started when i was i think 34 years old....stupid me...joke was on me,,,,caught my husband hiding cig in the car...so i sneaked out of the house and bought some for myslef...iw was tired of being perfect....wanted to show him i have been lying and keeping secrets too....well he was cheating on me at the time..of course he was denying it. and i had seen the proof yet...well anyways joke on me...

well i had cold upper resportary infection in the end of sept. that last through the end of october...

back again...so i need to stop...for good and ever this time....

well just saying i'm stopping again and i will be better for it...

jodie
  2. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Try and try again, is my motto for quiting! I am proud and happy of you. I am glad you are giving this a whirl. I used to smoke and I know how difficult it is!

You'll be in my thoughts! Let me know how you are doing! I found if I could wait a craving out for 5 minutes, it usually passed.

You go girl!

Kim
  3. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i quit about 6 yrs ago and (i was going to say felt better ha) now breath better lol

and i dont smell like an ashtray.

the only thing i wasnt happy about was that i suddenly grew nose hair!

im not much help really am i lol, the thought was there. im cheering for you :)
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i have heard about the cinnomon sticks to chew on...plus you know it helps lower our sugar level.

and that is also an aphordisac for men when they smell....

so maybe he could chew on that then instead of smoking you guys could enjoy the moment if it doesn't give you too much pain....

and i'm lucky in one way i am a single mom, and no one else is smoking in my home constantly, except when the ex comes over and he needs to quit more than me. he now has been told his bp was like 200/120. and he is not overweight, it is just his lifestyle...so i need to be here for our son, cuase i just don't really see his father quitting do to the fact he won't take care of his bipolar which causes his drinking problems...

well it is just time to be determine more than ever for me...

thanks again everyone...

jodie
  5. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Good luck!

I've heard that sunflower seeds (still in the shell) can help too. Suck on them for awhile, if you like the salty flavor, then take the shells off and eat the seeds. It keeps your hands busy and satisfies the hand-to-mouth action habit! I have found that anything you have to work at to eat, like peeling oranges before you eat them (rather than just cutting them up) can help.

Also, chewing gum can help a little. It doesn't satisfy the hand-to-mouth, but it does keep the mouth busy and who wants to smoke and chew gum at the same time? It makes the gum taste nasty!

Get yourself LOTS of healthy snacks, like fresh fruits & veggies, nuts, baked rice cakes, etc. You're going to want to EAT A LOT to satisfy the habit! Every time you want a cigarette but don't want to give in to that craving, those snacks are going to be crucial! But you don't want to snack on junk...... not good for you and you'll just gain weight.

Hope this helps!
    Hugs!
    Starr
  6. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I quit smoking with the help of a very good smoking cessation website at about.com. You might want to give it a try! Good Luck!

Love Bunchy x
  7. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I wish you the very best. Remember breathing is more important.lol

Act like you are smoking using a pencil-but don't light it.lol

Dee50
  8. MamaR

MamaR New Member

I admire you so much for wanting to stop smoking. I know that you can do it! My dad smoked for about 55 years...and then he quit. He didn't know that he already had lung cancer. He only lived about a year after.

When I was growing up in the 50's-60's...it was different. There was smoke everywhere. In all public places, in our home, etc.
    So now I suffer from COPD....and I never smoked! My parents didn't know that they were gong to cause this to happen to me...or I am sure they wouldn't have done it.
    Thankfully, time has made people more knowledgable on it.

I don't know how it feels, as I have never smoked. But, I will say that you are a great mom for doing this. You want to do everything that you can to be there for your child. He needs you to be there for him.
    I will say again...I am ROOTING for you!!

God Bless....MamaR
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

for all the great tips...i wrote down the web site...thannk you for that i will cetainly check it out..

i grew up with bothof my parents smoking, then my dad quit when he wasn't drinking anymore..my mother had to work on hers..but hasn't really smoked for about 25 years i think..time flies...

the one good thing that might help with the weight gain is that i'm supposed to start a new med after i start to feel better... and well it is for energy and has anpeterimeine. spelling...sorry on that, but it is called concert a long acting form of ritalin. so hopefully i'll just want to go to the gym and do whatever i can...pain free would be wonderful..

i had never smoked in the house or car with my son so hopefully he won't develope anything from my bad habit, but his dad has been different since we wer divorce and separated... and cody has about an hour and half drive to his dad's place one way...every other weekend...

well i have been good tonight i didn't buy any new smokes past up the ciggerrete place and the gas stations...

well
    gonna go

jodie
  10. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I'm trying to quit, too, and would like to know about the cinnamon sticks. Where can you buy them? I imagine them to be bitter, though. Are they?

I have diabetes, too, so anything that helps...........

Thanks,
    Donna M.

11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

yes cinnomon sticks, they are in the spice aisle in the your local grocery store...and i know i can buy them at costco for pretty cheap. or a sam's club i'm sure.

jodie
  12. onnaroll

onnaroll New Member

It makes my arm pain worse. wanted to wish you the best of luck with it. I know i need to do the same my quit date is jan 1st. It will be the second time ive tride. well best of luck i know i will need it too!! Its a tuff battle when you have smoked most your life . wishing you the best
  13. windblade

windblade Active Member

Wishing you well in this area. I started smoking when I was 13 -- 2 packs a day, and then stopped when I was 20.

It was hard to do, but eventually the cravings start to go away until they are completely gone. At first I couldn't drink coffee, since i always had a cig with it. Same for food! Changed to tea. Also I was in art school, and just the smell of oil paints would trigger the urge.

But these are habits that diminish in their power.

Another thing with me was that a lot of emotions came up that needed healing; so you could look on that as a positive thing - a chance for any healing issues in your life. Not just a bad side affect.
    That was when I got serious about making a choice to heal from emotional pain, and have continued on that path ever since.
    Blessings to you,
    Judy
  14. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

I HAVE HAD URGES BUT I PASSED UP ALL OF THE STORES...

AND I HAVE BEEN DOING SOME LAUNDRY LAST NIGHT AND TONIGHT...

ALSO I STARTED TAKING A NEW MED THIS MORNINGIT IS SUPPOSED TO GIVE ME MORE ENERGY BUT I DIDN'T FEEL IT MUCH IF ANY TODAY...

I TOOK IT AT 8:30 AM THIS MORNING AFTER ALITTLE BREAKFAST THEN I FELL ASLEEP I DON'T KNOW WHAT TIEM UNTIL 2 PM...

I'LL SEE WHAT TOMMARROW BRINGS ME...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT...EVERYONE AND IF YOU CAN DO IT ANYONE DO IT GOING TO HAVE TO BE MY MOTTO...

JODIE

PS

ANYONES USED THOSE CINNOMON STICKS YET///? I HAVE SOME IN MY CUPBOARD ALREADY JUST SITITNG IN THERE BUT MAYBE I SHOULD GIVE IT A TRY...

15. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

hi jodie,
    kim here....if i could quit (almost 13 months ago) then YOU can quit also. it got to where i detested everything about cigs. you know that list...write all of them down on paper and see all those negatives!
    good luck, stay strong, you're on your way to feeling MUCH better without them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)
    (i'm in massachusetts so i musn't forget to add sleeping problems to symptoms list cuz this sure is becoming a new problem for me in the past 3-4 months.)
  16. caroleye

caroleye New Member

When I was facilitating smoking cessation groups back in the 80's, I found that he ones who had previously failed, tended to succeed.

Also, when I stopped due to respiratory problems in my late 20's, I gained about 10 lbs, but lost it within 6 months. Well worth it, and I never went back. Cold turkey worked the best. Had a competition going with my x- husband, but it didn't work for him.

Find as many "oral" substitutes that you don't have to "eat" to help keep your weight down. Did you read where I used to keep my daughter's pacifier in my mouth.......lol Big joke around work at that time!!

LIGHT***********carole
  17. chickabee

chickabee New Member

Goof for you Jodie, i'm proud of ya. I just quit smoking 6 months ago. Wow, never thought i could do it but i did and i did it cold turkey. YIKES!! I can actually taste the food i eat now, and smell things too. It's funny, when i smoked i craved chocolate, but since quitting, i don't eat that much chocolate. wonder if that means anything...probably not...LOL. Got my fingers crossed for you, i used those pretzel rods to suck and nibble on, and tootsie roll pop suckers, they both helped...but then i became addicted to Skittles..LOL I'm off of them now too. Lots of luck to ya. Nanc
  18. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

so far...just tyring to keep busy with my hands...so mostly taking and doing dishes...today

right now it is night time i think i want one before i go to bed hopefully...but i won't..

it's jsut getting used to starting a different routine....
    '
    and yesterday it was raining out so who wanted to stnd outside in the rain...i never had smoked in my house or anyone elses...

well gonna surf on...
    thaks for the support...after one year that will be great...

jodie