OK LADIES, I NEED SOME INFORMATION FAST

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Isaiah43, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Isaiah43

Isaiah43 New Member

I HAVE A QUESTION THAT I HOPE SOMEONE ON OUR BELOVED WEBSITE CAN HELP ME WITH.
    IN JANUARY, 08 I WILL BE HAVING A HYSTERECTOMY (TOTAL) AND A BILATERAL MASTECTOMY AND IMPLANTS FOR RECONSTRUCTION AT THE SAME TIME. MY QUESTION IS THIS: HOW LONG WAS YOUR RECOVERY TIME, DID YOU HURT WORSE AND DID YOU HAVE A LONG RECOVERY, DID YOU GET SICK, DID YOU FOUDHOW WAS THE PAIN?

I AM SORT OF SCARED FO THE IS, BUT WILL
  2. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I had to have a complete hysterectomy when I was around 33 years old. I can only address that portion of your question because I haven't had to deal with a mastectomy.

I was very slow to recover from the hysterectomy. I should add that they also resuspended my bladder, took out my appendix, and removed a bunch of endometriosis that had evidently spread outside of the uterus.

Take along glycerine suppositories. you definitely do not want to deal with constipation after a hysterectomy. Pain meds can make you constipated. Also, ask the doctor to put on your orders that you are to receive an antinausea shot in the recovery room BEFORE YOU WAKE UP. You also don't want to be vomiting after abdominal surgery.

Drink water until your eyeballs float. I'm not kidding. It will help prevent the constipation, and it will also help to purge all of those medications out of your system that you received during the surgery.

Some kinds of anesthetic can make some patients feel depressed. you are already going to be dealing with "instant" menopause. If you feel just overwhelmed and tearful after your surgery (about a month afterwards), I'd tell the doctor. He may need to put you on an antidepressant to help restabilize your seratonin level.

I have had problems with some anesthetics. I had to go on antidepressants a couple of times after surgery-induced depression. I can usually stop the meds after 4 or 6 months. That is sufficient time for me to get my body restabilized. i think the anestheologists have some better meds now that don't seem to have as much side effects. But it is just good info to know.

My doctor immediately started me on food with alot of fiber in it after the surgery. he said it was best to get the digestive tract up and moving as soon as possible.

I can't say enough about the importance of drinking LOTS of water. After I have surgery, I can smell the chemicals coming out of my skin. I can smell them on the bed sheets. You can smell them in the urine. Your poor body is like a chemical cocktail by the time you reach your room after surgery.

If allowed, get up and walk. It helps prevent blood clots. See if they will put those two air bladders on your legs that squeeze and release automatically all through the night. it really helps with the circulation issues in your legs.

I do wish you the best with your upcoming surgery. Try to limit visitors. it is exhausting trying to "entertain" people stopping in. If they want to do something, have them bring meals over to your home after you get released from the hospital. THAT is when you need the help.

Try to keep one family member with you at the hospital. you need an advocate. You need someone who is thinking clearly and can catch any mix-ups in your medications. My hubby has sat by my bedside every time I have had to get surgery. he gets me icecream in the middle of the night, adjusts the room's temperature, gets me more blankets, gets me more ice for my water pitcher, helps me to the bathroom, etc.
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I had a hysterectomy a few years ago and I don't remember too many problems from it, but I did talk my way out of the hospital too early and wish I had stayed awhile longer.

One thing I do remember is the pain I had upon wakening from laying still for so long. My body was screaming in agony from laying in the same position for so many hours.

I alway recommend the website www.hystersisters.com for those of us going through this, it's full of information although I haven't been to the site in a long time.

I think they may be able to help you with your questions.

God bless and good luck,

Nancy
  4. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

I had a total hysterectomy in 85.

They did what is called a bikini cut on me.
    It amounted to a 10 inch incision.
    My first few days were kind of rough but after that
    each day got a little better.

These days if possible they can go through the vaginal area and I'm told it's a little easier that way and recovery faster.

I had no choice but to go with the tummy incision.

I did go on hormones immediately and had no problem in that area. I was back on my job full time in 5 weeks. But it was a desk job.

The one problem I remember well (right after surgery) was having gas as your insides are really tender and walking around the room a bit helps with that as soon as they tell you it's safe to do so.

I don't know a thing about a mastectomy.

Wish I could be of more help.

Wren