OK, let's see where the similarities began

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SharonR, Aug 21, 2002.

1. SharonR

SharonR New Member

My mother has Alzheimer's and she was first diagnosed with diabetes 13 years ago. but the similarity to my own problems are uncanny. She has been exhibiting these traits for 9 years since my nephew was killed in a car accident at 19. Then she was involved in a car accident that was almost fatal 3 years after that. She is 85 years old, her primary care physician says her physical stature is ok, her mind is gone. (I Quote, you look fine, how can you be sick?)
    Does anyone else have these problems in their family?
    My mother moved back to an area where pollution was a problem, Paper mill production.
    Then she and my Dad bought acreage in an area where she was isolated from society, hence, no real interaction with anyone except a church group, fairly inactive in social gatherings, except the dependence on my Dad. Fairly frequent interaction with my sister, and a brother, but not a lot of stimulation.
    Can anyone identify with this?
    I think she suffered from FM, can't be sure, but God it all sounds familiar.
    Help me out!
    SharonR
  2. SharonR

SharonR New Member

My mother has Alzheimer's and she was first diagnosed with diabetes 13 years ago. but the similarity to my own problems are uncanny. She has been exhibiting these traits for 9 years since my nephew was killed in a car accident at 19. Then she was involved in a car accident that was almost fatal 3 years after that. She is 85 years old, her primary care physician says her physical stature is ok, her mind is gone. (I Quote, you look fine, how can you be sick?)
    Does anyone else have these problems in their family?
    My mother moved back to an area where pollution was a problem, Paper mill production.
    Then she and my Dad bought acreage in an area where she was isolated from society, hence, no real interaction with anyone except a church group, fairly inactive in social gatherings, except the dependence on my Dad. Fairly frequent interaction with my sister, and a brother, but not a lot of stimulation.
    Can anyone identify with this?
    I think she suffered from FM, can't be sure, but God it all sounds familiar.
    Help me out!
    SharonR
  3. SharonR

SharonR New Member

Ellen
    Thanks for responding.
    My parents moved to Allegheny VA into my grandmothers house
    after she died, and the Westvaco Corp. has a paper mill there.
    The pollution is horrendous, and the drinking water is surely a reflection of this.
    After several years there they bought 7 acres and built a home. I personally cannot stand to be in traffic with my windows down, pollution throws me into an immediate sinus infection and several days of sheer hell.
    Now that I think back, we lived in Manila for 2 years and the traffic there was the worst in the world, you could not avoid breathing the toxic fumes. People wore face masks.
    This whole mess has many faces.
    This has all transpired in 20 years or less.
    I have never read that Alzheimer's patients could be put on mood altering meds, is this common procedure or was the dr being cutting edge to see what works?
    I am really interested, please reply. She is anx about everything, and when I look at her and watch her reactions part of me knows what she is feeling. Not as her child but as if I vaguely know what's coming.
    Smiles
    SharonR