OK so I need a little estrogen what is best?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nanna4550, Mar 14, 2006.

1. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

A week ago I went to a new doctor with my menopause symptoms. I am already now 15-20 pounds over my desired weight and I can't stand it. But the hot flashes and night sweats are driving me crazy and I have to do something about the dryness. She took blood and gave me a saliva test to send in.
    So, now I'm waiting for the results, but would like to be armed with some preferred treatment. Any suggestions??

I do not want to take anything that will make gain more weight.

I read one post about SottoPelle bio-identical pellets. Anyone tried them?

What works for you? <<<< Help....>>>
    LOL, Nanna
  2. Tisha1976

Tisha1976 New Member

My grandma age 63 was taking estrogen replacement therapy. It was the kind with only estrogen (not with prgestrone). Well she developed uterine cancer because of it. I will not pretend to know how it feels going through "the change of life" I am only 29, but if I could prevent one person from getting cancer it is all worth it. She died 6 months ago. She was my 2nd mom. I miss her more than anything else in life.
  3. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Trisha, I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Believe me, I won't get uterine cancer (I have had a hysterectomy with ovarie intact) and I am asking about non-synthetic estrogen products (which are much safer, I had read).
    Thank you for your concern, you are so sweet and caring.

I am really so sorry you lost her.
    LOL, Nanna
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but I take 1.0 mg estradiol and 200 mg Prometrium. I've been in menopause for 3 years (since age 46). This combo has worked great for me. No hot flashes. Dryness is better. I have gained about 10 pounds in the past 3 years.

I don't plan to take it forever, but for now it is working well.

I tried Premarin and that was awful. Terrible headaches and I just felt generally crummy.

Prometrium is micronized progesterone and considered as close to natural human progesterone as you can get.

Hope you find a good solution for you.
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'm not menopausal, but my adrenals are shot and cortisol is low and I'm taking adrenal, thyroid, liver w/ great success. My sex drive is better, my depression is gone, IBS is much better, and I sleep well every night now.

You can find Nutrition Dynamics on the web and they have an excellent selection of glandulars. Their woman's blend would be great for your needs. It has raw ovary and other woman's part glands in a base of supporting adrenal, thyroid,liver, etc to support your other glands. Your adrenal glands have to make certain of your female hormones when go into menopause, so they really need support too. These glands are lypholized, which means the hormones they contain are still there.

The difference between taking lypholized glands and getting the hormones that way, rather than a perscription, is that it nourishes the whole gland, rather than just providing the hormones. So your gland is nourished to health this way and in time it can become healthy enough to function w/out the supplements. Whereas, if you just take hormones, it does nothing to heal the gland, you have to keep taking the hormone indefinitely.

No risks of cancer that I've ever heard of either.

Jeanne
  6. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I had a total lyster in '01 and wear the Estraderm patch. I've had really good luck with it. It is estragen only.

My cousin has all her 'parts' and uses the over the counter Estroven for her hot flashes.

Hugz,
    Tona
  7. code34me

code34me New Member

My chiropractor and his wife swear by Wild Yam cream they sale in there office. So something to look into?
    Codey
  8. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I had a total hysterectomy when I was 39 and went through a bad and acute menopause. I tried all the various types of estrogen - patches, creams, tablets, implants. The only thing that gave me relief was natural progesterone cream. I needed a script - here in Australia - and it took time.

I would suggest that whatever route you decide to take, do not do anything that is not immediately reversable. i.e., an implant. I had one and it nearly ended me up in hospital because it pushed too much estrogen into my system in too short a time and I had to live with it until it "wore out" Not fun.

Also, if you do not find relief with estrogen supplements - and some women do not -you might like to check out the idea that menopause symptoms are not caused by a lack of estrogen, but rather by too extreme a ratio between the natural estrogen and the natural progesterone in your body. Thus, the symptoms are relieved with these two are brought back into balance, which can be done in a variety of ways.
  9. juliejo

juliejo New Member

Hello everyone.
    You all must be pyschic on here (sp).

I am 52 year's of age and havent had a period for 4 year's.
    However i now have Atrophic Vaginitus ( severe dryness down below and discharge).
    I don't have hot flushes any more but do have what i call my Fibro sweat's!!.

I still have a womb but have been prescribed Premarin Cream to insert every day for 2 week's and then to use twice a week for 2 weeks if that make's sense.
    I am thinking of going back to my Gp and i have had the worst migraine ever since taking it and also pelvic pain eg ovaries etc.

I too am starting to be very concerned at my Gp said that if i take it longer than 3 months i too should have progesterone to protect my womb from Cancer.
    Now rather worried as Gp puts everything down to Fibro.
    I will add that i do suffer from migraine's anyway but this one is a stinker.

I would like to ask if any of you have this condition is there any alternative treatment for the dryness as i have yet to find one.

Oh and i am from the UK.

Thank's.
    Julie jo.
  10. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

My wife uses bio-identical biest cream 1.25mg (80% estradiol, 20% estrone) with 50mg progesterone orally. Works great for her, no hot flashes and better energy levels. She also takes a little testosterone as well, 5mg in a cream.
  11. gnanny

gnanny New Member

Suzanne Sommers has an informative book that has a lot of information on bio-identical hormones.

I am not especially a big Suzanne fan but it was an eye opening book for me.

best wishes
    stephanie
  12. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

I use the vivelle-dot estradiol patch and prometrium 100 mg/day. I've tried all of the estradiol patches and the adhesive in the vivelle-dot is the only one that doesn't bother me. I chose the patch over the oral route for several reasons. I get migraines from swings in in estrogen levels and the patch keeps a relatively constant blood level of estrogen.

The estrogen from the patch is directly absorbed into the blood while oral estrogen passes through the liver first before it goes to the blood. In the first pass through the liver a significant amount of estrogen is degraded and therefore, 10 times more estrogen needs to be in the pill than in the patch to get the same result. Also, on the first pass through the liver, estrogen increases the synthesis of fibrin and c reactive protein which is involved in clot formation.

Therefore, , less estrogen is needed in the patch to do the job and research studies at leading universities have shown that fibrin and c reactive protein levels do NOT increase in women on the patch but these 2 proteins are significantly increased in women in the oral estrogen groups.
  13. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

Just a point:

Have you had your estrogen levels checked???????? One of the advantages of my hysterectomy when I was 39 was that my migraines STOPPED. The gyno - who was really good - said that the migraines were caused by having too high an estrogen level.

In addition. the natural progesterone cream fixed up my dryness - obviously not as bad as your problems, but in my experience some doctors just keep pumping in the estrogen and do not give due consideration to the other hormones, or the ratio between them.