OK so nothings wrong Chest Pains....HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bunnyfluff, Mar 30, 2007.

1. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I have had chest pain on the left side for months now, going up the shoulder and even around to my back. It is very painful. So, at first they said Pericaditis, but I went for an EKG, and it came back NORMAL! How can this be?

I had ultrasounds of my spleen, etc, nothing.....

So, now they think I am just nuts again, but I am telling you it HURTS! Who else has this chest pain??

Bunny
  2. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi bunny,
    i had something like that on the right side (not quite as scary!) last week end, with alot of pain on deep breath, going into the back and feeling "full" in the lower chest.
    Since i had been having some breathing problems for 2 weeks, it had me pretty scared about a blood clot, etc., so i finally went to the ER (you really have to "bite the bullet" when you go to ER as a fibro pt!) and had CT, x-ray, breathing test and labwork, ruled out a clot, so decided it must be an inflammation of the chest wall, but a clot must be RULED OUT first.

when i mentioned it must just be "a fibro thing" to the doc, she said "you can't ignore symptoms like this and chalk it up to fibro, if it is a classic symptom of a clot, you must get it checked out!

I really was afraid to go to sleep for fear i wouldn't wake up, and as a nurse, knew i should have gone in at the beginning of the pain (overwhelming for awhile, too)
    Have you had the FULL CARDIAC WORK UP?? (labs, stress test, etc.)

is there anyplace that is tender to touch on the chest wall, or is it all down deep? do anti inflammatories (aleve, motrin, etc.) work for this?
    Good luck, just get it checked thoroughly! Take care--L
  3. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I went to the ER twice for chest pains, had full cardio workup - NOTHING!

One ER doc pressed on my chest and it hurt - he said that's from the FM. So try pressing on the areas that hurt and see if there is pain. In that case it may be in the muscles and tendons.

You may want to try the following:

Epsom Salts & hydrogen peroxide bath/soak

In hot tub of water:
    1 cup Epsom Salts
    1 bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide (or 1 cup Baking Soda)
    Soak for 20 minutes
    Shower off afterwards
    Be ready to go to bed

Epsom salts are full of magnesium, to relieve tired, hurting muscles.

Caution: Do not take an epsom salt bath if you have high blood pressure or a heart or kidney condition.

Hope you find relief soon.
  4. ptgibbs

ptgibbs New Member

I too, have had a lot of chest pain, and been to ER. Checked everything out, and nothing with the hear. I know it is from a flare up of Fibro. But it scares me, even though I have had it lots of time, and I also have fast heart beat, and my BP goes up. They say that is from the pain. It use to be in my left breast bone, the last one I had was upper chest above the breast into my back and shoulders, down into my stomach and down my left arm, just like a heart attach. Thank God it wasn't, they gave me valimun, and a anti inflammortory med in a IV. I was in ER for about 6 hours, and then came home and took pain medicine. I felt bad for several days. Yes, it does hurt!!!
    Pat in Texas
  5. ptgibbs

ptgibbs New Member

I use Epson salts, but have never heard that heart patients should not ude it. Why is that?
    Pat in Texas
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Do a Google for GERD and read some about that. I have had the chest pains for over a year and just recently have been getting better by losing weight. I had erosive esophagus. It can cause severe chest pains.

I'm on Prevacid and sometimes take Pepcid AC at night too. There are certain foods to stay away from and drinks. If you have GERD, you need to stay on a GERD diet.

Just a possiblity of what your chest pains could be.

ilovecats
  7. i also get the chest pain,and suffer from fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.ive had these conditions for many years now.

i reached rock bottom,and hated the person that this illness turned me into.so i got,and have managed to keep,my 16 hour a week part time job,as a cleaning lady in a school,working in the evenings.

i cycle ride to work,its only a 10 minute journey each way,but ive noticed why im having the chest pains.

as i start to cycle up a hill,the pains move out of the chest,and sort of ripple round the front of the rib cage,and into the spine area and rib cage at the back of me.

its like suddenly hundreds of tiny ripples and pain are stabbing me.i also notice that the feeling is of tightning,then releasing,then tighting again.so i think its a effect of the fibro on the muscles when im being mobile.its a kind of creepy feeling,and hard to explain to people who dont have our illness.

so maybe its the same for you,and its the fibro effecting your chest muscles and surrounding area,when you over due the mobility thing.

kind regards
    fran
  8. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I have had this too and had a stress test done with a heart Dr. everything was OK.Blamed on FM.(at least the heart Dr. knew about FM)By the way, the heart Dr's. name was Dr. Hart.LOL.
  9. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

let me give a few replies:

I do not smoke

My blood pressuse is actually quite low consistently 110/80

It hurts 24/7, sort of a dull, deep pain under the breast. It doesn't hurt more when i go for a walk, etc.

I was tested for an ulcer, and I do not have any indigestion, ever, really. I eat a super-healthy diet.

I thought maybe I could have cracked a rib, but no one seems interested in doing chest xrays, etc. They are just like "oh, crazy CFS person, your heart is just fine!"

My husband jokes and says it's because my *chest* is too big......

I have pushed for tests like the EKG, etc., and then they come back normal, and so then the Dr's are like "now what, we told you it's just your CFS/FMS."

But I have not always had this pain. I take a lot of pain meds. It feels like inflammation to me.
  10. Line

Line New Member

I have the same pain, sometimes it is at the top of the breast and up to the shoulder, sometimes it is from under the breast up into the shoulder, goes down my back along the blade. I have been getting this for years, use to be left sided but now is both sides. I am constantly sore above the breast on both sides, in fact just got over a bout of this, it was a burning type pain.

I was told it was costochondritis, but we have a lot of trigger points in the upper chest so may be the Fm, who knows? I always dig around for those points and boy do they hurt. My G/P says I have acid reflux also but have not had the EGD as of yet. I have had ekg's and echo's done and everything appears to be okay.

I get sharp shooting pan in the area also.

Linda
  11. dononagin

dononagin New Member

That I took to the doctor as well.. They also did a EKG on me.... NORMAL...

This gets old huh, Bunny?

Love to ya!
    Dona
  12. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I saw the word buried in one post. Please Goggle costochondritis, it can mimic a heart attack. Not all docs are familiar with the syndrome.

GERD does not always come with heartburn. You can have GERD,as I do and the symptoms also can feel like a heart attack; sometimes we have pain coming from an internal organ but it RADIATES a sensation of pain someplace else.
  13. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

regarding ptgibbs question:

I use Epson salts, but have never heard that heart patients should not use it. Why is that?
    Pat in Texas

I have checked several websites which include the caution but cannot find the why..so frustrating.

I'll keep looking!
  14. debhun

debhun New Member

I am have the pain now. I it so painfull I have found myself holding my breath. I really want to call my dr and get a shot it is that bad.

It is called costochondritis you can look it up on the net and get Info on it.

Deb
  15. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I have not had the stress echo. I did smoke for 18 years, but quit a long time ago. Congrats on quitting- BTW!! It was the best thing I ever did.

I did look up the costco-thingy- and I guess that could be it, but my gosh, can it just go on fovever like this??? It has been months.

I am so tired of hurting. What's worse, I am tired of hurting, and then being told that there is nothing that can be done for the hurt. I get so discouraged.....
  16. debhun

debhun New Member

I am sorry to tell you be yes it can last up to a year some times. They say from a few days to 6 months.

Some day I will get up and it is gone. It will be back in a month or 2 and back to the bad pain again.

Deb
  17. Jackie65

Jackie65 New Member

A few years ago I went to the ER with chest pains and shortness of breath, I thought for sure I was dying of a heart attack but all the tests came back normal...except that's when I discovered I was hypothyroid. Now when my levels are off I start to get the same shortness of breath etc and I know it's time to get my thyroid medicine checked. Not sure if you have this, or if you have checked your thyroid, but just thought I would pass it on just in case. Jackie :)
  18. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I just recently went through the same thing, went to the ER twice and nothing came up.

Chest pain, like something fierce, pain up and down my left arm and I couldn't barely get a good breath of air in. This went on for weeks and wouldn't stop. It turned out to be Costochondritis or Tietze Syndrome. Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage where the ribs attach to the sternum. So basically, the cartilage in your chest wall gets inflammed and about the only thing they can do about it is give you anti-inflammatories and they recommend using either a heat pad or cold press to help it feel better, which ever works best for you. The cold press worked best for me.

I was definitely alarmed at first due to the chest pain, but then I found out this is quite common amongst us Fibroees... I hope this helps... And hopefully it turns out that is all it is. Although there is really nothing they can do about it, atleast it's comforting to know that your not having a heart attack or something more harmful.

Big Hugs,
    Shananegans
  19. monalisa3

monalisa3 New Member

I am seriously in sooooooooooo much pain tonight on left side above breast. So scared it's my heart also. Have had heart checked and it's normal, apart from an incidental finding of mitral valve prolapse (asymptomatic). I have been having this chest pain on and off for over 2 years, before I ever felt the pangs of fibro. The pain is radiating to my neck, back, shoulder blade area, left arm and face is numb also. It is HORRIBLY scary. I dig around often when I get this pain and realise that my pec muscle right under the collar bone is excrutiatingly tight and painful. Maybe it's a spasming pec muscle pain. I wish I knew for sure. It really sucks going through this on top of all fibro symptoms. Maybe it truly is part of the bigger fibro picture. Wish it would just go away at least for tonight. Surprsingly enough a back massage often alleviates the pain most of the time (but no one can give me one right now)...
    [This Message was Edited on 04/20/2007]