Ok, the subject is peeing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pasara, Sep 24, 2008.

1. pasara

pasara New Member

Embarrassing, but have to ask.
    It seems like my bladder is not particularly strong. I have to get up several times in the night to pee. Also during day will feel like I have to go real bad, but really just a little. It feels similar to mild UTI, but I don't think I actually have that.

Is this related to CFS?
    Is it my abdominal muscles are weak?
    Is it just general body breakdown?
    Is it mild infection?
    Is it food sensitivities?
    I know can also be related to back being out of whack so seeing chiro, but osteopath (who i really need) can't afford right now.

I am not very old and don't want to turn into a "dribbler" when I am!!! (Oh God, no!)

2. Catseye

Catseye Member

One thing that will make you pee several times during the night is diabetes insipidus. Diabetes insipidus is when your body is not producing antidiuretic hormone. This hormone tells the kidneys to recirculate the water in your body after they filter it instead of sending the water to the bladder for elimination.

If you don't have this hormone, you will pee much more. It's mostly produced at night, and lets you sleep all night without having to pee. Diabetes insipidus just means lack of antidiuretic hormone, it is not related to the blood sugar diabetes we all know. The antidiuretic hormone, vasopressin, is produced in the pituitary and all kinds of hormone problems are common with cfs.

I use a nasal spray every night with desmopressin, the synthetic version of vasopressin. It can also increase blood pressure slightly so if yours is on the low side like mine was, it helps with that, too.
  3. pasara

pasara New Member

thanks for the quick response.
    how did you know that you had this? did you have a specific test already with it in mind that this was the issue, or did you find this out by chance? is this a common co-problem with CFS or unrelated?
  4. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

I talked with my urologist a few weeks ago and he said that there are 2 common problems with FM.

1 - The bladder muscles won't release the urine all the way and so you have a tendency to retain some in the bladder which increases the chance for infection.

If retention is a problem, a urologist can dilate the urethra which should allow the urine to pass.

2 - The pelvic floor muscles are weak and they don't keep the urine in the bladder - hence the dribbling. This can be helped by Kegel exercises.

I think the overall bladder sensitivity is common with FM/CFS as well.

Isn't it a joy :)
  5. pasara

pasara New Member

these are all things to look into. i have a feeling is related to the CFS and/or FM.

I am especially interested in natural remedies for this. I was regularly drinking a kidney tea blend made by an herbalist around here. It did help in short term, but does not seem to address the underlying issue for me. I don't think my kidneys are the issue, but good as overall tonic.

I also notice that caffeine can really make things worse, so drink very little (one cup of tea a day.) Does anyone notice other foods that may exacerbate things? I eat a very clean diet, with no processed or high sugar foods.
  6. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I started about a year ago. I have found when I was taking ambien, I would flood the bed. Soooo embarassing. So I stopped the ambien and I noticed it wouldn't happen as often. But during the day I will be fine one moment and then wham, I have to go. It comes on with such an urgency that if I do not find a bathroom immediately i lose control and have an accident. So it sucks really bad. I have to wear a Poise pad. I just wanted to let you know that youare not alone.
  7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle New Member

This sounds like interstitial cystitis, which is very common with fibro.

8. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

Thanks for bringing this up..

I too have noticed this.. now I know why , I to thought maybe I had a urine infection coming on, but it really feels a little different

there is so much involved with this FM that they don't bother to tell you in advance ..

This web site and all of you really help more than my Doc does ..

your not alone in this ,

best wishes , and thanks

9. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Last year I went to a gyno-urologist; lots of weird tests LOL!

I thought I might need a bladder sling but testing said that was not it.

She offered me pills or exercises. I went with the exercises. There are pelvic floor exercises (not done on the floor) I think there are websites where you can see what I'm talking about.

At the doctors office they used equipment to measure the strength of my muscles and after several weeks things were much better.

Before learning these I had to tilt on the toilet to empty my bladder. I now do a set every day - the exercises help with bladder and anal leakage. No more tilting and I don't have to go as often.

Take care
  10. Catseye

Catseye Member

Hpa axis (hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis) problems are common with cfs, that means the hypothalamus that regulates the hormones and the pituitary that makes some often have problems regulating the body's homeostasis. I don't think many people are using the antidiuretic hormone. The hpa axis is partly responsible for fluid balance in the body.

Diuretics set me off. If I drink anything with caffeine, coconut water or even take certain herbs with diuretic properties, mine is much worse. I'll be up all night peeing, whether I use the hormone spray or not, and I'll get seriously dehydrated from it at night, even if I drink water every time I get up to pee. Diuretics make my bladder fill up fast. I think I have some kidney damage that is making me sensitive to them. I haven't had any tests for any of this.
  11. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

I know there are so many possibilities...
    There are a lot of us that also have interstitial cystitis (IC)...someone put a link for you...please check that out.
    If you are having extreme urgency, does it get painful if you don't "go"?
    Maybe you could ask for a referral to a urologist or uro/gyno...
    IC is a nightmare, and foods do affect the bladder--. I hope you don't have it, but please check into it.
    I was told it was just part of the FM but when I finally got in to see a urologist, they were able to diagnose me.
  12. les80

les80 New Member

i read a post just the other day called trouble peeing about the same prob! i just went to a urologist and had some tests but things seemed normal. i mainly have trouble w/ a weak stream...like its just "falling" out???? no control over it, and i have to go frequently. sometimes i have pain of the pelvic floor. i do think its all fibro realated...although the urologist wants me to see a neurologist...ugh! so after all that comes out normal im going to seek out some holistic therapys.
  13. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

But are you thirsty also, like you are going to die if you don't get something to drink like yesterday!!! I would definitely tell your doctor and have them run some tests. Does it hurt when you urinate? Then you probably don't have a bladder infection but it could be a kidney infection , it could be a number of things. Go to the doc.
    Take care!
  14. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I had the same symptoms as you, but with a negative urine test. I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. I went to a doctor who is considered the interstitial cystitis guru for the Southeast, and he diagnosed the disease, and then gave me Elmiron. Unfortunately, the Elmiron takes six months to work, but when it starts working, it's absolutely great. He also gave me Hydroxyzine, because IC is allergy related, and for some reason this drug helps.

Prior to the Elmiron I had to do irrigations, in which a nurse puts in a catheter (not so bad!) and instills Lydocaine and other numbing medications. That also helps.
  15. Catseye

Catseye Member

Another thing which is going to be impossible to tell how many people have it, is kidney damage. I think I have some damage to mine, just because of my problems with fluid balance and what happens in the middle of the night sometimes.

I think that just like the liver, you can track the organ having some problems by its symptoms, but a medical doctor won't really know anything is wrong with it until it's really bad. One of the symptoms of kidney damage that I was reading last night said increased frequency of urination, particularly at night. Since increase in frequency can be caused by several things, I don't think anyone should jump on it and get worried about damage. But what I really want to bring up is that analgesics and pain medication can cause kidney damage in long term and heavy use.

I've also read that evening primrose oil can help reduce the inflammation, which is probably happening to virtually all of us unless you've cut out inflammation causing substances and foods from your diet. This will contribute to the damage. And inflammation also contributes to pain, so the fibro people who have been taking drugs for a long time may want to add kidneys to their list of things to read about.

Just want to put some more ideas on the table. I've been suspecting kidney damage in myself for some time, but there's just really not a whole lot you can do about it. But don't rely on a medical diagnosis, sometimes they just aren't capable of diagnosing problems until they are severe. Just know that some of those same drugs that are hard on the liver gastro system can be hard on the kidneys, also.

16. pasara

pasara New Member

sounds like this is a common problem with many different possible reasons.

i do not have any pain when i go or at any time. (i mean in that area)and don't feel it is something that needs medication in my case. i am not incontinent, it is just a hassle and not particularly comfortable.

a few things i have figured out is that caffeine and alcohol does affect it. also, baths. i take a lot of baths and notice there can be a worsening of symptoms from that. i do not put anything in the bath (except sometimes plain epsom salts)so it is not soaps or the like. i wonder if there is any candida connection? or if there is an acid/alkalin balance broken. i know some people here are knowledgeable about those things.

another thing i will mention, since so many people have this problem,(and actually what i briefly mentioned already in original post) is that the muscular-skeletal system can really affect your urinary tract. for example, there are ligaments that attach to the bladder or near the bladder something like that, that connect to your pelvic bones, so if they are out of alignment or the tension in the ligaments is uneven or out of whack it can cause irritation in the bladder.

and also the nerves related to the bladder are in the lumbar and sacral region of the back, so a good chiropractor can also really help.

this is true for stomach problems too. being treated by my osteopath and/or seeing my chiropractor has helped when i had ongoing nausea. just thought i'd mention this because with all the muscle tension, spasming, inability to get the exercise we need, etc, can really mess with our muscular and skeletal systems.

for those of you with IC, on the IC network website they talk about how chiropractic care can help as well.

barrow, thanks for pointing out the importance of how the medications many here are taking can cause or contribute to these secondary problems. i myself do not take prescription medication as I am too sensitive. but i do take several supplements, which i believe can also cause their own problems. now and then i take a break from them for a month and give my system a rest. also, i think for most people, especially us here whose bodies are not working at the peak of efficiency (to say the least) that a good round of cleaning the kidneys and the liver a couple times a year is good. there are several herbs and herbal blends that help with this, best in the form of teas. UVA URSI especially.

this is a good sharing. i thank all of you and hope we all find some measure of relief. it is hard to talk about outside the anonymity of the

[This Message was Edited on 09/25/2008]
  17. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Pelvic floor exercises are done by squeezing the anus as if you are trying not to pass gas in a crowd.

The caution is to not use any other muscles: stomach, legs, feet or clenched hands. You should also breathe normally.

Do a search on pelvic floor exercises and you will find many sites which give you the do's and dont's.

This is the same as doing Kegel's but you don't need any equipment.

The uro-gynecologist I went to put measuring equipment into my vagina and anus plus a sensor on my stomach to teach me the proper techniques.

You work slowly up to 10 repetitions.

You squeeze and release 10 times quickly, then do 10 holding each for 10 seconds.

Hope this helps gb66.

18. laratd

laratd New Member

I have the same thing but I find that it goes hand in hand with my CFS. If I am doing well then it is not there but if I crash then I feel like I have a mild UTI and most of my peeing is done at night. At it's worst I almost pee the bed but it goes away as the rest of my CFS symptoms abate. Since it comes and goes with the CFS I don't worry about it because just like all of the other symptoms I know that the doctors will do tests and tell me that there is nothing wrong. At the environmental illness clinic they told me that other patients had reported the same thing. If it persists even when you are feeling well you might want to see about tests.
  19. loto

loto Member

I have the same problem, but i have fibromyalgia. It's so frustrating. I probably make 20 trips to the bathroom at work daily, and at nite I'm up at least once. Wonder why????????? I've never asked my neuro about it