OK....WINTER HYBERNATION ANYONE???......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HOUSEOFBLUES, Nov 19, 2002.

1. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

Ok. This is something I notice going on with me whenever fall and winter appear....
    It seems that my "Body Clock" goes wacko and I start to sleep more. I'm starting to get up later and later now and
    also falling asleep later and later.
    When spring arrives then I start to rise earlier.
    Anyone else notice this happening with them?
    Is it the Fibro or the weather or our bodyclocks or ???

Thanks,
    HOB
  2. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

Ok. This is something I notice going on with me whenever fall and winter appear....
    It seems that my "Body Clock" goes wacko and I start to sleep more. I'm starting to get up later and later now and
    also falling asleep later and later.
    When spring arrives then I start to rise earlier.
    Anyone else notice this happening with them?
    Is it the Fibro or the weather or our bodyclocks or ???

Thanks,
    HOB
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Don't have that problem, actually its the reverse here in the South. I am more active, and feel so much better in the fall and winter. The humidity and heat in Louisiana is a killer to me. It zaps my energy and strength, but a nice cold day is a God send!

I wake up earlier, feel better and love to go outdoors. But in the summer I am almost a hermit! I keep the house at 69-70 degrees at all times, winter and summer.

But its not too cold here even in the winter, we might have a freeze a few times a season.

I don't know what causes it, but thats how it is in the deep South.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. karen55

karen55 New Member

I'm right there with you!!! I look forward to November through February every year. I open the windows at night and love to be outside in the daytime. I cannot take the 95 degree, 85% humidity of May through September here. Everyone in my house is always complaining of freezing because I keep the AC turned so cold.
  5. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I wish that was the case with me. I'm sleeping less and it's really wearing me down. Like I need that.
    I go to sleep anywhere from 8:30 to 10:00 and get up anywhere from 3 to 5am. But I wake up all through the night, too. I'm not taking anything to help me sleep but I think I'm gonna have to get something. I hate to because it seems I need too much sleep then.
    Wish I could help you but I don't know. Maybe someone else will be able to help you.

Sapphire
  6. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

this is pretty similar to another thread not too long ago about SAD. I have it and many of us do. I want to run to Arizona every October and stay til June. I get so depressed when there is no sun for weeks on end that I could just scream. Can you tell I'm in the middle of it right now? lol
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Why not give ZMA a try for deep sleep? It has changed my life! I sleep 7-8 hours of deep sleep now since Feburary this year. Never in my life have I slept this well.

IF I do wake up for a 'bathroon' run, I go right back to sleep. Before taking ZMA, if I woke up for the bathroom, I would not be able to go back to sleep.

I used to wake up every hour, talk about miserable! It sure can't hurt you, its 'zinc, magnesium, and Vitamin B-6'. Why it works I don't know, but it does work.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I've been taking ZMA for quite awhile now. It seemed to help in the beginning but for about the last month it doesn't seem to do the trick. I do think it helps some though. I tried ambien for a couple of weeks but it doesn't keep me asleep. I just hate to take anything that I have to get from a Dr. I try to stay away from them as much as I can.
    Do you know if you can take melatonin along with the ZMA? I've been thinking about trying that.
    Thanks for your help. You are always so helpful.

Sapphire
  9. kadywill

kadywill New Member

take the Melatonin with ZMA and it helps a lot......
    Love,
    Kady

p.s. Hi everybody!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/19/2002]
  10. joyof3

joyof3 New Member

Its the same for me i live in souhtern British Columbia, Canada. Every year from october to april i don't like to leave the house. My boyfriend said i am like a bear i go in to hybernation mode, i could sleep all day if i had no kids. i do have three kids so for 7-6 month i drag my back end around. your not the only one hang in there spring will be back.

stephanie
  11. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Thanks for the info. I will definitely try the melatonin.

Sapphire
  12. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

I'd give anything to be able to sleep! But I can kind of answer than question for you, as a biologist. Mammalian bodies operate (according to current theory, at least), on circadian rhythms, which act as a sort of biological clock. Your brain responds to changes in light-dark cycles, and it can affect physiological responses in hormane release, hunger, sensitivty to stimuli, behavior, etc. Simply put, it is normal to see changes in your activities depending on the time of year. BUT...we people with fibro don't respond normally to anything else, so why should we respond normally to circadian rhythms? he-he-he. In other words, who the heck really knows? Technically, it's not abnormal...but FM or not FM, that is the question? (Don't mean to be a smart aleck, but that's the way I'm feeling about now). Please don't hold it against me. ;-)
    Stormy
  13. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Here is what I take, in the order that I take them;

6pm Xanax (0.25milligrams) Calms me down for the evening.

10pm 2 capsules of ZMA

Right before bed; Melatonin (3 milligrams)

This works perfectly for me. I usually fall asleep about 12 midnight, and thats what I was striving for. If I go to sleep any earlier, I wake up at 4am, much too early for me!

I have not tried the ZMA without the Xanax and the Melatonin. I have been taking both for about 12 years off and on. But did not get the deep sleep untill I added the ZMA in Feburary this year.

My husband calls this my 'nightly cocktail!

Shalom, Shirl