OK, Y'all Convinced Me, Washer Dryer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The rust is worse than I thought in my washer so I decided to go on a fact finding trip. I stopped in at Lowe's, one of my favorite places, and they had a discontinued Bosch front loading W&D reduced by $600. There is a $100 mail-in rebate. Because all they had was the floor model, they gave me another 10 percent off. The Bosch has shorter drawers, only 8", and the ones on the floor models didn't work right. I really don't care as much about the storage as the boost they give the machines. I suggested they just throw the drawers in for free, a $400 value. They agreed because there are no more to be had for these discontinued models.

On top of all that, there is a mail-in rebate for the delivery and hauling off the old set. As if that weren't enough, I opened a Lowe's credit card and I now have 12 months to pay them off without having to make payments and no interest as long as they are paid off in the 12 month period. I can leave the money in my money mkt. acct and let it draw interest for a year. I figure I saved more than $1,200 altogether. I got a 5-yr warranty and it was very reasonable.

The Bosch are a German brand but my set was made in their USA plant in NC. The W&D are a satin silver finish with some shiny chrome trim. They have a more squared-off European look than some of the others. With the shorter base, they do not stand as tall as those with the deep drawers under them. I love the look. Like I told y'all, I'm going to have to leave the doors on the laundry closet open so I can admire them.

Has anyone gotten a tax benefit from buying them because they are energy efficient? My kids got a break on their taxes because they bought an energy-efficient water heater. I haven't filed taxes for years but I have to this year.

Thank you all for posting such positive things about your washers and dryers here. Never did I think I would spend that kind of money to launder my clothes but I'm sick of buying the regular machines and having to replace them so often.

Love, Mikie
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Wow. You got a great deal!! This may be the last washer/dryer you ever have to buy!! I have bosch too and I really love them!!

3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

What impressive negotiating skills you have! I was reading in the consumer reports website that Joyfully so kindfully let me access that the high efficiencies are really so much better than the older models on the market now, which just don't effectively clean clothes like they used to. I think you made a very sound choice and what an incredible bargain too.

You'll have to take a picture of your shiny new machines and show it off in your bio for a few days. Congratulations on your purchase!

Love, Erika

4. victoria

victoria New Member

hope they work for you for a long time... and especially wonderful, it sounds like you got a really good deal!

All the best,

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, I'm pumped. My Mom's best friend is still alive at 90 and is probably my best friend too. She is a hoot. She just got back from spending the summer in Maine. When she called, I told her all about the new W&D. We decided that I should remove the doors from my laundry closet and just make it part of the decor :) I told her to come over Tues. after they are delivered to see them. I said, "We'll have a party, BYOB--Bring your own bottle of detergent and do some laundry." Well, we got to giggling and almost peed ourselves. Might have to do one last load in the old set. I told her that W&D cost more than the car we bought when I got married and it was a new car.

I need to get into that closet and get my extra paint, broom, mop, etc. out of there and remove the doors so the new set can be installed. I never got in there to paint the baseboards so I'm going to try to haul the dryer out, clean the floor, and paint the trim. I should be able to move the washer around once the dryer is out. I won't have time to paint the baseboards when the delivery guys are here and they need it.

Love, Mikie

6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Re: pulling out the old W/D to paint bseboard.

Many of the old washer and dryers metal adjustable "feet" have cut through the rubber protection foot at the bottom. This causes your floor to get scratched when you move the appliances. You can avoid this floor damage by folding a piece of felt a couple times and putting a piece under each existing foot. This will protect your floor from getting scratched, and it will also create less friction so the appliances mover easier. The manufacturers deliberately puts a rubber foot on each of the legs that is designed for high friction. That is so the machine doesn't have a tendency to move or walk across the floor while it is in the spin cycle.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I alrady dragged the dryer out into the hallway and moved the washer over. I swept and mopped the floor. In the morning, I'll paint the baseboards and touch up the walls. The guys I had tile the floor got black mastic all over the wall and they moved the W&D back so it wasn't noticable. It's good now and then to clean out an area like that. My tile is very hard and the appliances don't scratch it when I move them.

I have open ceilings in my kitchen/dining/living areas. The cupboards in the kitchen have fluorescent fixtures on top of them. They shine up on the ceiling and look beautiful. One of them bought the farm and I have to wire the new one tomorrow too. It's amazing what happens to the best laid plans. Good thing I'm flexible :)

Thanks again for the tip.

Love, Mikie
  8. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I think you will love your new set! Is it high efficiency? If so,please use only HE soap(I prefer Tide HE and Wisk HE,Cheer doesn't seem to work as well in HE form). Also,you might want to leave your washer door and soap compartment open to air out,especially during humid summer months. Some people get mildew in their machines if they stay wet and closed up.

I also got a mail in rebate from Lowe's and I purchased the extended warranty. And...like I said before,the monthly elec/water savings is a huge plus!

Enjoy your new set,isn't is funny to get such joy out of such a necessity?!? I used to love to watch my clothes spin round and round,it was fascinating,lol!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2007]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm pretty easy to entertain too :)

Yes, these are the HE units. I am using the Publix brand of detergent but only 1/3 to 1/2 of what I used to use. The manual for the washer stated that one could use any detergent but if powdered was used, you have to mix it with water first. I only use the liquid stuff. After my washing was done, I propped the door open (it wants to close itself) and I left the dispenser door open and let everything dry out overnight.

I got a five-year extended warranty. These new machines are wonderfully engineered but expensive to fix sometimes. German products and cars can be especially difficult but they are also well engineered and well made. My kids got the Pinkel and Fischer (sp?) set and they had a problem with it which required a warranty call. The guy said the problem is common but that those machines should last them a lifetime.

I'm actually glad when I have laundry which needs doing. I remember being like that when I got my first dishwasher.

Love, Mikie