Okay, now I'm depressed.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnetClo, Nov 11, 2002.

1. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I was so excited after my visit with the new doc last week. She scheduled a sleep study and said that sleep apnea could be the cause of my fatigue and pain rather than FM. Hoooray!!!! She prescribed Elavil for sleep. Well, it worked. I don't wake up a blue million times every night like I used to. Hubby even says I'm not kicking all night like I was. But the Elavil hasn't helped the pain one bit. So if my pain is caused by not getting enough Stage IV sleep and now the Elavil is helping me sleep better, why the heck am I still having pain??? I was so optimistic about this. I was thinking "okay, sleep apnea, we can treat that. And if I treat the sleep apnea, then all this other stuff will go away." Well if the Elavil hasn't stopped the pain, will treating the sleep apnea with a mask or something else help???

Hugs
    the other Annette
  2. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I was so excited after my visit with the new doc last week. She scheduled a sleep study and said that sleep apnea could be the cause of my fatigue and pain rather than FM. Hoooray!!!! She prescribed Elavil for sleep. Well, it worked. I don't wake up a blue million times every night like I used to. Hubby even says I'm not kicking all night like I was. But the Elavil hasn't helped the pain one bit. So if my pain is caused by not getting enough Stage IV sleep and now the Elavil is helping me sleep better, why the heck am I still having pain??? I was so optimistic about this. I was thinking "okay, sleep apnea, we can treat that. And if I treat the sleep apnea, then all this other stuff will go away." Well if the Elavil hasn't stopped the pain, will treating the sleep apnea with a mask or something else help???

Hugs
    the other Annette
  3. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I've only been taking this Elavil for 5 days now and I'm eating like a horse. And it's sweet stuff too. I have never craved sweets before. I know that Elavil can cause weight gain, but so quickly. I thought that weight gain would be a gradual thing after you've been on the med for a while. At the rate I'm going, I'll weigh 500 pounds before I've been on the stuff for a month. I just want to go home and crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head and never come out.
    I did check at the pharmacy that I go to a couple of weeks ago for some magnesium since I've read several posts here that it's good for us. But I didn't find anything that was just magnesium. What about calcium and mag together?
  4. toots2

toots2 New Member

Unfortunately, you are going to have pain whether you sleep well or not. Have you considered seeing a pain speciliast who can treat your pain? With fibro or chronic fatigue, it is my opinion every symptom needs to be treated. That can mean seeing several different drs. Once you get on the right medication, realize what you can and cannot do, rest when you can and exercise some too, it makes management of this condition much better. I have fibro so I dont' know much about CF but I do know even with good medication and a good night's sleep, I hurt everyday anway. Toots
  5. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

Since I'm so new to this DD, I just naively figured it out for myself. No sleep = pain, get sleep = no pain. NOT. And I'll bet somebody can tell me that even if I'm treated for the sleep apnea (if that's what I have) that the pain may not go away. Truthfully, after I read some of the posts about how much some of you poor guys suffer, I would get sooooo depressed thinking this was how life was gonna be and when the doc said "maybe sleep apnea" I jumped all over that. I shouda known better!!!!! The doc I saw though is great. She's female, ex Air Force and appears to be a dynamo type. She was hustling her butt the day I was in the office and in high heels no less. But she was recommended by someone on this site as one who understands FM and the pain it causes. But since I haven't tried anything so far and since it was my first visit with her, it will take a while to build up a trust thing probably. I have another appt in 3 weeks so I'll talk to her about the continued pain then.

Hope you have a totally pain free day
    Annette
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is one of the most often prescribed meds for FMS. It really does not improve the quality of our sleep; it just makes us sleepy and keeps us asleep. It also has a nasty side effect of rapid weight gain. The ZMA sole here works synergystically with whatever else we take to improve our sleep and help with pain.

Read Dr. Cheney's article in the library on Klonopin. It will explain why we can't get good quality of sleep.

Elavil and Flexeril put 40 pounds on me overnight. I'm in the process of losing them. Elavil made me sleep, but I never awoke refreshed like I do now with the Klonopin. In addition, Klonopin has gotten rid of my anxiety and it help tremendously with my tinnitus and sensory overload. Some people can't take it, but for me, it is a God send.

Love, Mikie
  7. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Don't get depressed...I know thats easier said than done :)
    We all get our hopes up high--some things pan out, some don't. If you are getting a full nites sleep, waking up and feeling more refreshed, and hubbys shins aren't bruised from your kicking him all nite, thats a good thing. Your sleep study to check for Sleep Apnea--sounds like a worthwhile undertaking, Sleep Apnea, can be treated, and it is very wise to do so. Chin up, and just keep working through possibilities. It seems like with most, its a combination of things, and just identifying and fixing one at a time, is a good method. When you get disappointed or discouraged, take a break, pamper yourself, and regroup. You'll find a new direction to go soon. I know pain was on the top of my list, to address first--it's one of those in your face kind of things. I think we all go through the ups and downs, I know I sure have (as recently evidenced, lol) Take care of yourself, and just relax for awhile, and rest.
    Karen