OKAY THE SICKEST YOU EVER HAVE BEEN WAS WHEN YOU KNEW.........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Islebabe, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Islebabe

Islebabe New Member

I WAS NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO STAND UP TO TAKE A SHOWER. NOW THAT DOESN'T MEAN I'M NOT CLEAN, I JUST CAN'T STAND UP TO TAKE A SHOWER.

WEIGH IN!???

IDEAS ON HANDLING WEAKNESS, FATIGUE AND IMMOBILITY?

ISLEBABE †
  2. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I think that allt hose things...the weakness..the fatigue..and the immobility can come and go with FMS or CFS/ME . The best thing you can for yourself is to have things that help you be the most normal. Of course you still want to get clean...so what would make that easier for you??? a shower chair..handles on the wall to assist you getting in and out of the tub....maybe even easier bottles to deal with for shampoo...and a brush with a handle to help you reach and bathe all areas of your body. I think that it only makes sense for us to equip ourselves well so that we can be independant!
  3. revlcb

revlcb New Member

Me too!

During my first big flare in 2005 I was low on money and couldn't stand for more than a few minutes so I bought one of those cheapy plastic lawn chairs without arms for in the shower. I still use it to this day because of difficulty standing for more than a few moments without support. A lifesaver for sure.
  4. Islebabe

Islebabe New Member

Ya'll right now I am so tired and worn out. Shew. Thanks for that idea, I don't know, we have one of those small shower stall showers. It's a good thought though.

Question? Transfer Factor, seriously, feeling worse before feeling better? Is that the definition.?
    Islebabe
  5. Shalala

Shalala New Member

It is scary. I have had close calls. I live alone and would not be discovered unless a neighbor smelled something (I don't mean to be gross). I have gotten so fat they probably don't make those shower chairs in hippo strength. I did get a shower wand thingy but I am too weak to install it. What I have been doing is shampooing (lathering up) and soaping up important body areas (anything that may cause me to lose my balance in the shower trying to wash) before I get into the shower. This also cuts down on the actual amount of time I have to try to stand in the shower. Then I go over everything but the feet as my hair and body are rinsing. I do the feet when I get out and safely seated on the toilet seat.

I am amazed at the number of folks on here that can still actually take a bath.[This Message was Edited on 03/20/2007]
  6. Islebabe

Islebabe New Member

This is a great thread. I felt like I was alone.
    Islebabe
  7. blkkat

blkkat New Member

I use to be a cna, we cleaned our people , hair and all w/ baby wipes plus isnt there a warmer now for them so they dont freeze us to death?

i also dont due the hair washing/shaving thing but every otherday.

i have handles and i use them . ive fallen (not in shower though) 5 times doesnt feel very good. hope this can help. GOD BLESS --- BLKKAT
  8. Iamnotmyillness

Iamnotmyillness New Member

When I finally broke down and applied for disability. Mentally that felt like giving up and I became so depressed I didnt really get out of bed much for two weeks.

As for grooming issues, I use to be such the perfectionist. I showered twice a day, I washed my hair every day and curled it (I too have very long hair)I always had my nails done etc. Now its sweats and pony tails -- I feel like a big slob.

I try to get in and out of the shower in under five minutes so that I dont have the fatigue issues and always wash my hair the night before as I too "cant get it all done" in one shot. The two things I love is the product they came out with a few years ago that you put your hair dryer in at and you can be hands free. If I get too tired I can pull up a chair to the sink and just let it blow on the back of my hair. I also love the shave minimizing lotion that jergens makes. I soak my feet in a little basin of water and epsom salts for a quick detox while I tend to my feet a little and give myself a quick shave. The lotion seems to slow regrowth so I only have to do it once or twice a week.
  9. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

When my ex-husband called me to nag about something so insignificant, that I said..."you know what? today I am in excruciating pain, I'm so fatigued that I only get off the couch to go to the bathroom. It's 4pm and I have not bathed or put my clothes on. Kiss my *!@* !!! and then I promptly hung up the phone.

When I realized that shaving my legs in the winter was optional. When I had to give up social drinking and smoking. When I turned down an opportunity to go into a cake decorating business (which I love) because I cannot stand up for any length of time. When I turned down free tickets to a game because I can't climb the stadium stairs. When I cry because I feel so guilty for everything my husband lovingly does for me, gives up for me and the fact that I am not the wife I envisioned myself being for him.

I just want my life back...even a piece of it back would be nice....What happened to those days when I could stay up all night taking care of kids and still go to work and then come home and cook and clean? What happened to the girl who loved to plan parties and stay up all night being the life of the party?

She's gone. I miss her.
  10. LindyNC73

LindyNC73 New Member

I completely understand the shower thing, and I appreciate this post, as I, too, thought I was alone on this! I can't shower every day and after 7 years of suffering through this illness, you'd think I'd accept that, but it still drives me crazy! It's not like I stink, :) I just like the feeling of being clean after a shower, if only I could avoid the painful part! It still frustrates me to this day, as I used to shower daily and couldn't leave the house without a little makeup, etc. Now I just don't care about my looks as much, and as someone else posted, it's just sweat pants and t-shirts for me anymore. Dressing up for me means wearing jeans instead of sweats! I do find that when I push myself to shower and actually attempt to dress and wear a little makeup, I feel a little better mentally - a little more human! It's hardly a pain reliever, but it helps a little! Take care of you!

Lindy