Old Christmas Cards Letters

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Jan 13, 2008.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm wondering what you all do with your old X-Mas Cards and Letters that are sent to you every year? do you keep them forever? or Toss them? or put them in a scrapbook?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hmmmm,,,What to do?
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

While they're coming in, I keep scissors and Scotch tape by the door. I cut the address off of the envelope and tape it on to the back of the card. Sometimes I end up writing the year on the back as well. None of this shows in the display rack that I have.

After Christmas I put them in a pile and put a rubber band around them and put them in my desk to remind me to respond with letters to the ones I haven't in a while. The next year, I pull them out and make sure they're on my card list.

If it gets 2 or 3 years down the road, I end up tossing the ones that are just signed, but I generally keep the ones with photos of the kids, etc.
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I used to keep them, then I realized I rarely went back and looked at them. I'm simplifying....tossing them out!

My Mother in law- well she cuts off the greeting portion and uses the fronts of them as gift tags. I personally don't need a box or pile of anything else in my house.
    The only photos I keep are of family members (and sometimes I don't even keep them) Shhhh..don't tell anybody.

I've really made a commitment to myself to clean out this year. I only save meaningful letters, notes from my kids, some handmade cards from them, and I keep those in a file.
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I cut the front off, then punch a hole in it, tie a ribbon or whatever's handy, and hang on Xmas tree. In the past when I had more energy, I sometimes put a backing on it or border.

I'm spoiled, this is SO easy to do AND store... and fills up a tree quite quickly! I haven't used them every year as I inherited lots plus bought some along the way... but more and more often I am simply cuz it's easier.

That said, nowadays, I only send out maybe 10-12, totally wasn't able to last year plus our address changed, so this year only got 2 (no surprise)... so this may just become a happy memory instead of an ongoing thing.

5. sisland

sisland New Member

some very good ideas hear! love the gift tag & ornament one! I too have scaled down alot over the years since the Girls are raised!,,,Janalyn,,,i wont tell anyone you know about the tossing of the cards thing!,,,,Lolol!,,,,,,

I remember sending out about 40 cards in my earlier days!,,,,,,,Like Victoria says now it's about 10-12 and then i just hand them out to Family members as i go along ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Juloo,,,what a neat idea to cut the address off the envelope and tape it on the back of the card!,,,,I have started a photo album of all the pictures that my kids and Niceses and Nephwes send me over the Holidays,,,

and i keep the letters and now i have an idea of what to do with the Cards!,,,,,,Thankyou all for the ideas!,,,,,Sis
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Now thats a Great Idea! to send them to the kids when they are grown! Thast a geneus thing to do! that way the kids can read back on their life!,,,,and making a Memory box for the kids is also a grand idea!,,,,Thanks for sharing!
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

My mom used to also cut off the greetting portion of the card and use the pictures for the packages also for gift tags. I also used to do that for years also .

Now, if I don't give money I buy the gift bags instead of wrapping. Of course I also recycle and keep using the gift bags people give me as well as some of the prettier paper if it has not been demolished in the opening process (-: !!. In those years back then,., nothing was wasted . Now so many people throw things (almost everything) away.

If I need gift cards they are so cheap where I buy them anyway. Sorry for changing the subject a bit from the Christmas cards. I did used to save them for the gifts. Nnow those that have letters written on the card I might save it and the others I end up throwing away after I have written down those who I have heard from that year for the next year. I also keep any letters and pics for the next year.

8. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Just two days ago I had a drawer full of cards, I went through and ripped them, had them from before 2000. Ripped photos too, sorry about that. And, realized how many people I had cards from are now deceased. It happens when you get older. Call it purge I guess.
  9. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

my mom and I both cut off the good part of the card and made tags out of them. We began getting wo many tags, seals, etc, from organizations that I quit.

I love it when I get a letter in a card. Just a name signed does nothing for me. If they took the troubheyhele to send a card, why don't they let me know about themselves and their families. I write a letter, probably too long, but our kids seem tio like it.

I save tghem until the nexgt yeawr, then re-frerad the letters again ; enjoy that. I wish I know just what to do with the beautiful cards.

10. sisland

sisland New Member

of different ideas=====also the tossing method i see!,,,lolo,,,I do write a few lines in the cards i send out ==Love the recycleing idea!,,,,,,

Have discovered E-Cards now so that helps a bit to cut down on the stamp buying!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The Kids are getting used to me sending them E-Cards,,,,,,,,,,Plus it's Free!,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,Sis
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Good question, but nuts. I was hoping you were going to give me a good idea about what to do with mine. LOL

If I was really ambitious I would make a scrapbook of them ---- but then, who for? My kids won't be interested in reading them when I'm gone.

......... you don't think ........ we should...... throw them............out???

12. bohemia

bohemia New Member

no, no, no, never throw those beautiful greetings cards.
    i work in a after school center & every yr. after the holidays i ask all my kids parents to please save the fronts of the cards to be recycle by using them in crafts.

there are so many ways to use the beautiful pictures.

so for next time, if you have kids in elementary school, donate the cards to their art teachers, they will appreciated it, especially pre-kinder & kinders.
    they will love you for it.

13. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for more input on this subject!,,Love the (give them to the Art teacher idea!) and putting the photos on a disc is a really good one too!,,,,,,S
  14. bohemia

bohemia New Member

hi sisland,

all greetings cards fronts can also be used for scapbooking, saves a lot of money.